UBB.Dev
Posted By: drkknght a blog like feel - 01/27/2005 4:33 AM
heya!

for 2+ years, i had a single forum in my ubb.classic boards acting as a personal blog. when i switched the ubb.threads 1.5 years ago, i just updated that forum, and continue to maintain it today, as seen here. i create one thread per month, made up of dozens of posts throughout that month.

for the most part, this works fine. but, really, i'm looking for a way to make my fake blog a little more blog-like. i don't want to start with one of the standard blog programs out there for two reasons: (1) i don't wanna lose the past 4 years (2) i don't really wanna lose the integration with my message boards.

one particular integration i'd love to have is a "user comments" section, like the one here or here (political affiliation is irrelevant -- this is just the first example i found after a search )

what this'd require:

essentially, listed after post would be a "comments" link. the link would also list the number of comments currently left. when clicking the link, the user would get a popup showing all of the other users' feedback in order, with a form to leave your own at the bottom.

is adding something like that feasible?
Posted By: drkknght Re: a blog like feel - 02/10/2005 10:08 AM
blog haters!
Posted By: Zarzal Re: a blog like feel - 02/10/2005 11:43 AM
take a look: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=blog

its a modification of the article layout hack.
Posted By: drkknght Re: a blog like feel - 02/10/2005 6:21 PM
hey, thats pretty cool!!

is that your forum?
Posted By: Zarzal Re: a blog like feel - 02/10/2005 7:20 PM
Yes, my page, but I cant give any instructions 'how-too' right now. Its under development and not finished. What we have done:

Take the article template hack, clean out the template, set up a stylesheet and create a index script. Then a litte db modification (add a field to users). If we are sometimes finish this, I try to post a hack.
Posted By: drkknght Re: a blog like feel - 02/10/2005 8:48 PM
thats fantastic, zarzal!

i love it!!

i'll wait (patiently) for your work
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: a blog like feel - 02/11/2005 1:41 AM
does look good
Posted By: AKD96 Re: a blog like feel - 02/15/2005 3:05 AM
Sweet work! Too bad the new UBB is coming out soon. That point rather stifles my want to work on new things.
Posted By: Zarzal Re: a blog like feel - 02/20/2005 1:11 PM
Now, here we go. I attach an archive with all files (I hope so) and a little text with instructions. I post it here and not in the modifications because it is not ready and just a base to do some more development.

Everyone can take it and enhance it. It would be nice to see sometimes the results. Maybe someone make a final pack for the modification base.

Attached File
125443-blog.zip  (13 downloads)
Posted By: AKD96 Re: a blog like feel - 02/23/2005 1:38 AM
Thanks! I'll play around with it!
Posted By: Ian_W Re: a blog like feel - 02/23/2005 11:24 AM
Looks good Zarzal
© UBB.Developers