UBB.Dev
Posted By: Mark Round Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/16/2005 4:05 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem here, and I hope someone can help. I've posted this over on the UBB.threads support site, and have opened a ticket with InfoPop[1], but to no avail. Hence the reason I'm throwing this out to the wider community...

We have succesfully upgraded a couple of wwwthreads 5.3 and 5.4 forums to UBBThreads 6.5.1, and would now like to try and do this for some much older versions.

We're looking at some 3.5.1 perl installs, and there are no altertable-*.php scripts going back that far, and I know that the database structure is wildly different.

Now, we could probably try and reverse-engineer this, and come up with our own import scripts to move a 3.5.1 database to a 5.2 one, and then take the upgrade from there as per usual. However, this will be a _lot_ of work, not to mention we'll probably loose some data in the process, so I'd appreciate any pointers...

Has anyone attempted this before ? Is there somewhere where I can download old archived versions of wwwthreads so I can try using the altertable scripts provided in later versions to bring it up to 5.3 / 5.4 ? I've googled and managed to find a 4.0.0 version, but nothing before or after this. Does anyone have an archive of old versions going back this far ? The InfoPop developers are fine with me getting hold of these old versions (see referenced URL), so there's no concern over piracy...

Thanks for any input!

-Mark
[1]=http://www.ubbcentral.com/boards/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/41281/an/0/page/0
Posted By: Charles Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/16/2005 5:38 PM
I think rick would be the one to hold all the older updates you might want to try contacting him directly
Posted By: Mark Round Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/16/2005 5:46 PM
Thanks for the response. Which Rick would that be ? There are quite a few listed at https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showmembers.php?Cat=0&sb=1&page=4&like=r.

As an update - I'm interested in any old versions that anyone may be able to dig up, even if it's just the altertable scripts. At the moment, the furthest back I can go is to 5.2. Anything at all getting me up to that point would be helpful (5.0->5.1 , 5.1->5.2 etc.).

I'm not entirely sure which version I am attempting to upgrade from, either - which makes things a little more "fun". The install I'm looking at contains the line

$w3t::VERSION = "3.5.1";

in w3t.pm, but I have also found that exact same line in a file I downloaded that calls itself wwwthreads-free-5.0.8.tar.gz. If it helps, this is the version that kept each subforum as a separate table instead of one "Posts" table.

Thanks again,

-Mark
Posted By: Charles Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/16/2005 7:27 PM
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=2&page=4&what=showmembers

not sure what his email might be, try [][email protected][/]
Posted By: Mark Round Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/17/2005 11:38 AM
Oh right, thanks. Sorry, I should have mentioned - I already opened a support ticket with InfoPop, they don't have anything going back futher than 5.5.
Posted By: Charles Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/17/2005 12:09 PM
yes but rick wrote wwwthreads so he must have private archives dating back from before IP.
Posted By: Medar Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/17/2005 4:28 PM
He actually lost quite a bit of it in a crash a few years ago...
Posted By: Mark Round Re: Looking for ancient perl installs... - 03/31/2005 3:31 PM
For what it's worth, I went ahead and did the manual work myself. It took a while, but I managed to work out a collection of scripts that convert an ancient install to a state where it can be upgraded by UBBThreads. I managed to get most stuff across, users, boards, posts etc. but some stuff did go missing (file attachments), and permissions needed to be re-done for each board afterwards.

If you're ever in the same situation, drop me a line (PM or email at mark underscore round at ipcmedia dot com) and I'll let you know the details (the scripts are largely specific to our situation, but I'll share what I can).

-Mark
© UBB.Developers