UBB.Dev
Posted By: Morgan Migrating to... - 02/11/2023 3:13 PM
Who came first the egg or the hen...

Our current forum version is 7.7.5

From my host I keep getting error messages with my very old current VPS solution,
and my host recommend a migration and say

Your system is running centos7, and while not yet end of life a future migration to almalinux8 + cpanel should be considered. We would migrate everything to the new set up.

What do you tech guys recommend?
Should I await and first install version 8 when it is available or is it considered secure just to migrate to almalinux8 with 7.7.5?
at this moment we use
PHP Version: 5.6.40
MySQL Version: 5.7.41
cURL Version: 7.87.0

I hope this is not off topic

Thanks for your advise
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Migrating to... - 02/19/2023 3:36 AM
There is no current timetable for UBB.threads v8. Your current UBB.threads version will work fine on PHP7.

As mentioned on your thread at UBBCentral:

In development we're testing against MariaDB v10.4.27 but it should work just fine on the latest MariaDB LTS (currently 10.6, all of this is equivalent to MySQL8). We do not test against release candidates or alpha/beta releases.

You will want to run on the latest PHP7 build available to you until UBB.threads v8 is released. The newer the build the faster PHP scripts will process.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Migrating to... - 02/19/2023 9:42 AM
Thanks for your reply Giz,
I believe my steps are
1, upgrade PHP5 to PHP7
2a, upgrade MySQL Version: 5.7.41 to ??? or
2b, migrate to MariaDB version ???
3 Upgrade to UBBT8 when available
4 migrate to almalinux8 or what my host recommendation is.

Step 1 is to contact helpdesk and ask for a backup and change to PHP7. I don't want to do these things my self.
I'll do it in a couple days.

Do you have any recommendations regarding the procedure?
Thanks
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Migrating to... - 02/20/2023 8:42 AM
As long as almalinux8 has PHP7 available then it should be safe to migrate to it; UBB.threads v7.7.x should run on newer PHP7 builds without issue.

IIRC almalinux is a derivative of CentOS/RHEL.
© UBB.Developers