UBB.Dev
Posted By: willing "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/03/2008 2:00 PM
Would it be possible to have it so that whenever someone posts a message in the Shout Box, a little beep/ping noise sounds?

It would be OFF by default, but people could turn it on if they wanted it.

(Some of our members want it)

Thanks
Posted By: Ian_W Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/04/2008 6:08 PM
We have shouts every few seconds at times - it would be a rapid ping in those cases wink
Posted By: willing Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/06/2008 2:40 AM
Yes, that is why I said that it would be OFF by default and people can have it on if they want it on.

smile
Posted By: blaaskaak Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/06/2008 9:20 AM
I think it's hard to find a techy that likes to implement sounds on a website laugh

My first reaction was also a big yukkie mukkie smile

If the goal is not to miss anything, it would be rather difficult. Since people keep on navigating while shouts are coming in.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/06/2008 9:16 PM
Well, it'd be worthless in my opinion... Every time you'd load a page.. Ping. Every time a new message? Ping... You have an active conversation? Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping...
Posted By: blaaskaak Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/07/2008 1:01 AM
As a techy I learned fast that my opion is pretty much worthless. It's the end user that ultimately has the yay or nay vote.

As a techy you can say outload take it or leave it, but if they don't like it, they'll leave it!
Posted By: willing Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/07/2008 3:31 AM
Worthless or not in some peoples opinion, I was simply asking if it would be possible to have the option - with it OFF as default - as some people evidently do want it. That is why I am asking.

Thanks.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/07/2008 3:35 AM
Well, all of the data is stored in the db, and the script just reloads the db info; so imo there isn't exactly a good way of implementing this "request"; you might as well just set a wav file to play each time the script reloads, which is every couple of seconds wink
Posted By: sirdude Re: "Ping" on new shout box entry - 06/07/2008 4:54 AM
the script is already smart enought to know that it's adding a new shout or shouts, so it could be done when any NEW shout comes in and to NOT ding ding at other shouts.. even on 1st load, it could not ding ding..

i'd also do a swf file instead of a .wav..
© UBB.Developers