UBB.Dev
Posted By: svr Question regarding transparent images ... - 10/12/2001 5:00 AM
Hi all, I am not a web expert but... wink I have Photoshop 6 and I don't have the slightest clue how to make transparent images! I used to have Photoshop 5 and it had a nice gif89a plugin that made transparencies a breeze... now comes along Pshop 6 and for some weird reason Adobe has really messed up.

Can anyone please tell me how to use Pshop 6 to create transparent images, or if there is a better tool (windows) around to do just this?

Thanks in advance.

(Hopefully this is the right forum!)
Open Photoshop.

Create a new document.

Before clicking ok, make sure to change the contents to "transparent".

Make the image makeing sure the part you want transparent has a grey and white box in that area.

When finished, go to save for web.

Save as gif, and check transparent.

You should now have a transparent gif.

laugh laugh
Posted By: svr Re: Question regarding transparent images ... - 10/12/2001 6:46 AM
Thanks, the above looks like the steps to make a new image.

What if, say I have an image that's in a blackbackground. It used to be I could just put an eyedrop tool in the black background and select transparent... and that is it.

Now I don't know how to create transparent images out of PREEXISTING images in Pshop 6. Also, there are some pre-set actions in the web now that make the buttons etc. but don't have transparency set. So a colored button will have a white background. With transparency tools I should be able to say "select white as the transparent color" and then the image becomes transparent completely.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: wildcat Re: Question regarding transparent images ... - 10/12/2001 9:15 AM
If you are going to use the picture you want transparent in another picture the best way I have found is to use the magic wand holding down shift then going through and selecting all of the background that I don't want then while it is still selected I run the eraser over it with the biggest brush I have and use it over the whole picture then keep repeating the steps over and over again till everything is gone that I don't want then use the blur tool around all of the edges so it isn't so jagged around the edges then just copy and paste it to the new picture

the part where you said uses the transparency tool and set it to where a certain color is transparent I find that to be unreliable cause I might have part of the picture white that I don't want to be transparent

what I do is use the magic eraser tool and just click on the parts that I don't want or just do the steps above with the magic wand leaving out the part with the blur tool

If that doesn't answer your question just let me know and I will try to help you as much as I can smile
© UBB.Developers