UBB.Dev
Posted By: Wando™ The Big Question! - 11/19/2001 2:51 AM
We've got well over 14000 members on UBBdev, but only 96 in our UD team, isn't there something more we could be doing to get more people to join?
I know alot of the 14000+ are inactive but there must be a hell of alot that still aren't participating but are here browsing!
any ideas?
Posted By: Deb Re: The Big Question! - 11/19/2001 5:34 AM
Thanks for bringing this up Wando... We're trying to think of new ideas but any suggestions would surely be appreciated.

It'd be nice if all UD members were actively participating too... but some remain inactive. tipsy Maybe that will change... we can only hope. smile
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/19/2001 8:43 AM
I've been inactive for awhile simply because of LRM. I can't leave my comp on all day so I can't finish some. I have been able to get results in here and there but not so much as other people.
Posted By: Wando™ Re: The Big Question! - 11/19/2001 9:41 PM
wasn't having a dig at you me Lord Dexter smile
was wondering why so few haven't even bothered to sign up, even 1 WU a month from everyone not yet signed up would help!
Posted By: Wando™ Re: The Big Question! - 11/20/2001 1:19 AM
So........
do I have permission to cross post in UBBdev and invade members forums to try and increase our active team members?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: The Big Question! - 11/20/2001 1:40 AM
hmmm... mebbe not so good an idea wink Topics should be kept on topic in the different forums, so cross-posting isn't good. Chit chat isn't a bad place, tho we opened this forum here for team ubbdev discussion...

Yes, 96 isn't much compared to 14k, but in comparing to other sites with similar membership, apparently we're doing well over average.

We'll be sending out an email with the next uzine, it will be announced there with a link to this forum, what other ways do you think we can promote it?
Posted By: Wando™ Re: The Big Question! - 11/20/2001 2:25 AM
Well if someone with your status posted it in each forum it would be ok?
It's a good cause after all!
even if we got a few more people involved, it all helps, just a post explaining what it's all about, a bit of information and a link, perhaps a dedicated email on the subject, I've lost several friends and relatives to cancer so I really feel strongly about this, If we can encourage more people to join in it can't be a bad thing!
Posted By: Wando™ Re: The Big Question! - 11/20/2001 3:30 AM
quote:
but one post from yourself would be acceptable?
I wouldn't call it chit chat though, we're doing so well at the moment, if we could only get that little extra!
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/20/2001 8:24 AM
Well Allen you can attract people who leave their comps on all the time to join their group and help while their comp is idle...
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: The Big Question! - 11/22/2001 1:19 AM
Advertise through your signature smile

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: 1QuickSI ]
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/22/2001 7:30 AM
quote:
Great idea, I put a link in my sig just now. Hope this helps...
Posted By: trunkx Re: The Big Question! - 11/22/2001 8:32 AM
i think a great idea would be adding a section in the registration about team ubbdev. put a little description of it and a link to download the agent. at least that way all the new members will join.

as for existing members you could add a section in the profile similar to the registation.

*shrugs* that's what i would do.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: The Big Question! - 11/22/2001 9:07 AM
money always works wink . hmm mabey a awards or something (i know its bad cause its for a good cause but if it gets more people doing it its not a bad thing :/)
Posted By: Ian_W Re: The Big Question! - 11/22/2001 2:35 PM
Why not add it to one of the pull down menus on each page.

Canvey.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/23/2001 8:21 AM
quote:
Awards is a good idea. We can have best person turning in results and best newcomer etc.
Posted By: Kryptonite Re: The Big Question! - 11/23/2001 9:27 PM
I am going to sound kind of stupid, but what is team ubbdev?

shocked
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: The Big Question! - 11/23/2001 9:37 PM
It is a group of UBBDev members that have joined together to help the fight against cancer. You can read more about the project here:

http://members.ud.com/projects/cancer/about.htm
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/24/2001 2:38 AM
More Info:

It's a program that runs on your computer. You get Work Units and your goal is to finish them and get up to 100%. When you finish them you get points for the time you spent on the work unit. It varies in every WU.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: The Big Question! - 11/24/2001 2:55 AM
how about custom avatars when u get so many points? id love to have my Gir: [Linked Image] one
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: The Big Question! - 11/25/2001 3:11 AM
lol @ anime-loo

what kind of awards do you mean?

I probably won't win it if there are some awards, my computer is sluggish..
Posted By: yozy2001 Re: The Big Question! - 11/25/2001 7:02 AM
i have joined team UBBDev laugh
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/25/2001 8:27 AM
In the Top right hand corner of your screen you will see "Member Infomation" and then there will be your username and below that your points. When you submit in a work unit the points will appear and the points vary from time spent on the WU.
Posted By: yozy2001 Re: The Big Question! - 11/25/2001 12:22 PM
quote:
well, i got 31 points
Posted By: Ian_W Re: The Big Question! - 11/25/2001 2:17 PM
Well done - and keep up the good work.
Posted By: SirGrendel Re: The Big Question! - 11/29/2001 10:39 AM
Can you explain the "work units" a little bit more? What is it you have to do?

One reason, why so few members are joining is the simple fact, that a lot of members don't know, what this team is about. Till now I thought, it is a group of ubb-hackers (Haxxor). The "Help us fight cancer" is roughly noticed, I guess. But maybe I'm the only stupid one

Bye
Sir Grendel
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 11/29/2001 11:09 AM
You don't need to do anything while a work unit is completing. All you need to do is leave your computer on for it to finish the WU. It saves the CPU time after every % so thats when it is safe to turn the comp off and not loose any time. if you have spent alot of time on a %, try keep your comp on until it finishes.

Hope that explained some more.
Posted By: SirGrendel Re: The Big Question! - 11/29/2001 11:15 AM
Great, that's all I want to know, thank you. I think in a few hours you can welcome a new member
Posted By: kidwales2233 Re: The Big Question! - 11/29/2001 8:49 PM
i have downloded it but and registerd now wat
Posted By: Deb Re: The Big Question! - 11/29/2001 10:35 PM
Howdy kidwales2233, please make sure you join Team UBBDev, install the UD program and let it run. You should start producing results and points soon.

SirGrendel... thanks for considering signing up. We hope to see you on the team soon!

Thanks for helping make a difference.
Posted By: SirGrendel Re: The Big Question! - 12/01/2001 12:34 AM
Just made my first 65 points. I'm proud to be a Haxxor now. I wish more money would go to research than to building bombs.

And please excuse my poor english, I'm just a stupid german
Posted By: HLDC Re: The Big Question! - 12/01/2001 7:44 AM
quote:
Hehe, I thought the exact same thing for quite awhile. Its strange because I saw this forum quite a few times as I quickly scrolled down to the mod related forums, but I never actually ventured in here. It wasn't till a streak of boredom where I was just wandering everywhere that I really found out about this whole thing. Thankfully it took me a lot less time to actually start participating than it did to find out about it. smile Nice to see more people involved in this project. Definitely a worthy contribution of otherwise unused processor power.

::crawls back to the depths of lurkerdom::

[ 11-30-2001 11:45 PM: Message edited by: HLDC ]
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The Big Question! - 12/01/2001 10:51 AM
Yeah well I try my best to get as much points is as I can. I haven't seen you here before you must be one of those people in the team that don't come to the board.
Posted By: Deb Re: The Big Question! - 12/02/2001 1:18 AM
HLDC, checking up on me eh? wink
© UBB.Developers