UBB.Dev
Posted By: WhiteBlade Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 6:08 AM
Well if you look at my signature you'll understand !!
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 6:44 AM
Do I have to spell it out for you? If you don't like it, either change your sig, or post with it turned off.
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 6:55 AM
sorry tought was only something that you guys forgot while updating to beta 15.1 !
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 7:20 AM
It doesn't really matter if you can't use images in your sig. Not a great deal of loss. They will probably come back on soon, so wait.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 7:53 AM
I actually like having images turned off. tipsy It prevents certain people from creating eyesores and then forcing us to look at said eyesores post after post after post aft... Faster load times are never a bad thing.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 5:41 PM
I usually wind up breaking page loads that seem hung up on loading someone's remote image file for their signature.

I never allowed any image files on my board, in the post body or signature or elsewhere. So none of this affects me. I never had a sig image on Dev, so I won't miss one. Besides, it saves us the hassle of telling people to shrink their oversized image files wink
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 9:03 PM
We may be turning them back on once we get the next beta in smile

Would be nice to have faster loading pages, but then my lil' guy couldn't wave like he really needs to tipsy

edit: [Linked Image]

ahhhh.. much better tipsy
Posted By: Deb Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 9:37 PM
I like the sig images that are displayed here on UBBDev. I enjoy the creativity members have used in making them and I appreciate the fact that they respect our requested size limits. I hope we see them again soon. smile
Posted By: usr bin geek Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/14/2002 9:56 PM
While I admit I've been guilty of having images in my signature, on boards where they allow them, I actually prefer boards without them.

The pages definitely do load faster and it's easier to read the posts because you're not distracted by some flashing or moving animation. I never permitted images on signatures on my own community for this reason.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/15/2002 1:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deb:
I enjoy the creativity members have used in making ...

I don't appreciate the fact that some people have the slowest servers in the world, which are located 3000 miles away from my Internet entrypoint.
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/15/2002 5:35 AM
Well maybe whould be good to have the "show signature once" hack ( Does that exist ??? )

And I have to admit that sometime it better ithout image in signature cause they are too big. But here on this board it was ok !!!
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/15/2002 8:03 AM
Yeah that does exist WhiteBlade.

I liked have sig images, as long as they aren't too big.
Posted By: LK Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/15/2002 1:40 PM
I think it exists, cause I made it tipsy

However, it doesn't download from the server any faster - the files are downloaded only once and then saved in temporary internet files anyway. It's just to make the page look better. smile
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/15/2002 2:32 PM
If a site admin is willing to live with it. The best option would be to have an uploadable gallery, where sig images can be stored relatively locally.

Of course, there are security issues with that, as well as potential liability ones (depending on the images themselves).

Attempts to moderate/approve/promote submitted images become too much work for an admin as well.

My recommendation would be to recreate your sig images in ascii....everyone loves that wink

'specially some pagewide image of Fred Flinstone's head that is so detailed, you can see the stubble on his 5 o'clock shadow laugh

--------

[code][/code]tipsy
Posted By: LK Re: Allow image in signature please :) - 03/15/2002 6:57 PM
lol tipsy

--------------------
[code][/code]
© UBB.Developers