UBB.Dev
Posted By: RandyM UBBDev mailing list. - 06/16/2002 6:55 PM
I think it would be a great idea to have a mailing list for people that want to keep up on hacks and updates. There have been a couple incidents recently that involved security holes in member submitted hacks. The fixes for the problems were made available quickly but only to the people that happened to go back into the threads that the hacks were posted in.

I don't believe it would be that difficult to send a "newsletter" out to subscribers that would make them aware that potential problems existed. I realize that UBBDev and the hack authors aren't responsible for damage or loss resulting from installing the hacks but people feel a sense of security getting code from here.

That's my 2 cents on the subject, anyone else want to post their thoughts?
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/16/2002 6:58 PM
*waits for flames*

or a system that would allow the hack author to send a update via a button in the topic that only they can see, if the hack is updated for watever reason they could send a email out to all that installed the hack, of course it would mean setting something up for members to click when they install the hacks.

it souldent be hard, why am i waiting on flames?, because thats the way it is over at the vB hacking site *sits*
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/16/2002 7:07 PM
Thankfully this is a better community.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/16/2002 7:35 PM
that i do agree with.
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/16/2002 7:59 PM
*waits for all the positive replies to roll in*
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/17/2002 12:37 AM
we do need to revive the mailing list... tho I got flamed many times from people who signed up to recieve it and forgot tipsy

We're gonna be reviewing some software in our august ezine, one of them should be a mailing list related... maybe I can finagle a copy soon smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/17/2002 1:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Allen. I guess I'm still stinging from the near disaster that Netwerkin barely avoided and I would hate to see it happen to someone else using the IM hack that doesn't know that it's been updated. I want to thank LK again for being so quick to release the update.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/17/2002 1:21 AM
thanks for the heads up.. we do need to include that one and some others that have come up when we send out the email.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/17/2002 1:19 PM
Sounds good, saves time having to come here and check on updates. smile
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/17/2002 3:38 PM
might wanna contact ip about buzzcast...
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/17/2002 3:49 PM
A mailing list is a great idea...I would love it. laugh
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/21/2002 5:40 AM
I think it would help spread the word about version releases and other community items as well. There are a lot of UBB users that cruise through here, grab some hacks and zoo00mm off as happy campers. If they were to get a newsletter from UBBDev they may just come back with something to contribute this time around.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/21/2002 9:52 AM
Yes, especially for the big holes in hacks that needed urgent fixing. (IM for exmaple)
Posted By: Jason Edwards Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/22/2002 5:14 AM
This is a good one -> http://mojo.skazat.com/index.html

Even I could get it running! *grunt*

People love mailing lists, it requires very little work to stay in touch with a site and most like that type of usability.

-Jason
Posted By: LK Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/22/2002 8:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
Yes, especially for the big holes in hacks that needed urgent fixing. (IM for exmaple)

I can't understand why did you post it in this thread tipsy

Anyway, I agree with Ghard, Buzzcast is probably the best idea tipsy
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/22/2002 8:35 AM
It was an example. tipsy
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/22/2002 9:11 PM
I just installed the Mojo Mail and all I can say is WOOT! It is a very very nice system and the price is perfect...free...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/22/2002 10:28 PM
grazi for the feedback xpert smile I have another one to try as well. I just wished it automatically took care of bounces/un-registers - I have ~650 bounces from the last one to remove from the list smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/22/2002 10:48 PM
Yeah, the bounces I forgot about, but I was able to import a text file of all the members and addresses and it has an unsubscribe feature that really really helps.
Posted By: Jason Edwards Re: UBBDev mailing list. - 06/23/2002 4:43 AM
Allen is right about the bounces, I had them after I imported my list orignally from good old "listbot" (before it was assimilated by the Borg... err I mean Micro$oft.)

So I now use the "send email to verify address". It cuts down on the bounces.

-Jason
© UBB.Developers