UBB.Dev
Posted By: ktorbeck COPPA STUCK DOWN - 06/24/2000 5:04 AM
A little update for everyone on COPPA.

Back in April the United States put in to effect COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (FTC Rule 16 C.F.R Part 312), Under COPPA web sites can not collect any information from Children under the age of 13 with out "verifiable parental consent" or face a $10,000 fine for each child.

[:red]In a unanimous decision today (June 23, 2000), a three-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reluctantly upheld an earlier ruling by a lower court judge who found that the [:blue]Child Online Protection Act violated the First Amendment right to free speech.

In you would like more information please read the story linked below. Please keep in mind that the ZDNN drops on of the "p" from COPPA, but they are talking about COPPA.
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2593060,00.html

-Ken Torbeck [:blue]WWW.INFOSITE.[:red]ORG Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center
Posted By: Unknown_Patriot Re: COPPA STUCK DOWN - 06/25/2000 1:22 AM
If may just be my bad memory, but I was under the belief that the COPA and COPPA were different - that COPA tied into the subsection of Clinton's other big "Communications Decency Act" or whatever it was called.

God bless
Ryan

Posted By: ktorbeck Re: COPPA STUCK DOWN - 06/25/2000 4:15 AM
I think they have the same FTC rule number, but I would not turn it off until we no that the Gov is not going to take the case to a high court.

-Ken Torbeck [:blue]WWW.INFOSITE.[:red]ORG Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center

Edited by ktorbeck on 6/24/00 09:17 PM.

© UBB.Developers