UBB.Dev
Posted By: coloradok5 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/23/2003 9:25 PM
Just installed 6.4, the forums seem fast at times then slow to a crawl then fast, then moderate and back again, I have noticed this more on the main index page than other pages. Could it have something to do with the "how many are viewing a forum" output on that page? Could it be the planets are not lined up correctly?
Posted By: msula Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/23/2003 10:46 PM
Did you check to see if this could be the problem?

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat...5/o/all/fpart/1
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/23/2003 11:11 PM
Yep, first thing I did and the index's were there. I am just getting a lot of complaints about the speed, I might have to hire someone to take a look at my server and threads (6.4) to see if we can do anything, with a Linux dedicated server and 2 gigs of RAM it should not be doing this.
Hopefully Rick is looking for things on the threads side as well and can come up with something, maybe it's something easy.
Posted By: msula Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/23/2003 11:29 PM
Are you running any hacks or just a "stock" 6.4? I had a customer or two on my servers that would bring them to their knees due to some hacks on the main index, such as who's online, and variants of that. The hack just wasn't applied quite right and was slowing the server WAY down.

But if you don't have any hacks.. then not sure what else might be the issue Also, I'd recommend optimizing your database in the threads admin though, I did this right after my 6.4 upgrade and it was lightining fast.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 12:12 AM
I did optimize right before the upgrade, will try it again now that I am 6.4 you never know.
I have 5 hacks they are:
No threads rating
Show different heads/footers by group
Restrict PM by group
restrict search from non-registered
color/title by group
Posted By: Rick Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 12:41 AM
For diagnosing speed issues your best friend is the &debug=1 variable. Basically add that to the end of any of the pages that seem slow. This will give you a list of all the queries executed for that page and how long it took to execute each query. This can help find bottlenecks. Normally all queries should take well under a second. If you see a query that always seems to take longer than a second, normally that's the bottleneck.

So, if you can do this on a few of your scripts that seem slow and report what queries are slow we might be able to diagnose a bit.
Posted By: ericgtr Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 12:53 AM
That is a very cool tip indeed, thanks for that info Scream.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 5:28 AM
[]Scream said:
For diagnosing speed issues your best friend is the &debug=1 variable. Basically add that to the end of any of the pages that seem slow. This will give you a list of all the queries executed for that page and how long it took to execute each query. This can help find bottlenecks. Normally all queries should take well under a second. If you see a query that always seems to take longer than a second, normally that's the bottleneck.

So, if you can do this on a few of your scripts that seem slow and report what queries are slow we might be able to diagnose a bit. [/]

I must be doing something wrong, when I put &debug=1 at the bottom of ubbthreads.php it didn't output anything, I need schooling.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 5:32 AM
Put it in the URL

ubbtthreads.php?debug=1
Posted By: JoshPet Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 5:36 AM
Hmm.... doesn't work on your site. Just produces a fairly blank page with a 1 in the footer.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 5:36 AM
Nevermind -
+ I think only admins will see it.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 5:38 AM

http://coloradok5.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?debug=1
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 5:42 AM
It does work, two of the forums were:

Query took a total of 0.131 seconds.
Query took a total of 0.179 seconds.

allothers wre around 5 seconds on average.
Posted By: msula Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 6:18 AM
wow, 5 seconds?

I tested my main index with about 100 users on the site, and all were less than 0.1 seconds And I only have a single P4 2.6 with a gig of ram
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 6:22 AM
Well, I just opened up a post and watched my watch, 47 seconds later it open up, is this normal or do I have a problem?
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 6:25 AM
Actually after looking I think 0.178 is under two seconds not 17 seconds, but posts have been reported to take over a min to open then seconds later they open right up then back to being slow again.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 6:28 AM
There's probably a problem. Rick had a post at Community (ubbcentral now) which said some different indexes in the post table were the culprit.

The details arent't posted, as it was solved through a ticket.

I would post here the exact queries that were taking a long time... and then see what Rick might have to offer.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 7:01 AM
Welp, when I look at the main index with &debug=1 nothing is reported over 0.178 seconds yet it takes over 4 minutes to load a post some times so I dunno.
Posted By: Rick Re: 6.4 main index is slow at times. - 12/24/2003 7:35 AM
You can also add that debug=1 to the showflat/showthreaded pages as well so you can see all the queries that are going on there. If that is what is the slowest then that is the page you'll want to look at the closest.
© UBB.Developers