UBB.Dev
Posted By: Gardener Frontend and Backend - 11/24/2004 7:29 PM
I've always used the terms "frontend" for the part of a page that normal visitors can access and "backend" for whatever administrator only part there is.

I'm wondering if these are proper English words, and proper terms to use for these things, and specifically if they can be used for the user accessible pages of UBB.threads and the Admin/Control Panel respectively.

What words do you use to clearly define the different areas of a website?
Posted By: Rick Re: Frontend and Backend - 11/24/2004 7:32 PM
I use the "frontend" term alot when refering to the user accessible scripts, especially when making notes in the changelog. I don't think I've ever used "backend" though, at least not when referencing .threads . I usually call that the admin area or control panel.
Posted By: Gardener Re: Frontend and Backend - 11/24/2004 8:54 PM
OK, that's good to know, I'll continue using the frontend term then. As for the Control Panel, if it already has a name in a product/script I usually use that, but when speaking in generic terms or about a new page I usually use "backend".
Posted By: Pappy Re: Frontend and Backend - 11/24/2004 9:50 PM
I think that generally Backend would probably refer to the data storage area... the threads database in threads for example.
Posted By: krejt Re: Frontend and Backend - 11/25/2004 2:31 PM
I agree frontend and backend are generally used in relation to software, scripts, databases, storage, etc, but the origin of Gardener's question lies in a question I asked him with respect to spreading language packs for UBBT.

Could you be so kind to read my post at the UBB.threads forum and tell me what you think?

Tjerk.
© UBB.Developers