UBB.Dev
Posted By: Goten Stable branch? - 03/23/2001 5:56 PM
Would it be possible to make a Stable branch for WWWThreads? The reason is that when I need to install WWWThreads on a production server, I need a stable version that do not have the newest features but ALL the bug fix. It will be great if you can make a stable branch so that it has less features than the newest one, but whenever there is a bug, the fix will go in to the stable branch.

It would be great if there is a stable branch for the production environment.

------
Da PHP programmer
Posted By: Sharif Re: Stable branch? - 03/24/2001 10:49 AM
Do you mean the existing version is not stable enough for you?
A stable version doesn't imply a bug free package. The new development policy, fixing and publishing quickly the bugs we discover is perfect to go towards a more and more stable version.

It's up to you to install or not the new versions on your production server. Personally, I use a development server for testing and hacking. I update the production server periodically, one time a quarter.

Posted By: Goten Re: Stable branch? - 03/26/2001 5:52 PM
I know no program will be bug free. But it will be handy that if there is a stable-branch like FreeBSD, all I can do is to download the stable version and install whenever there is new bug fix.

Since new version usually come with new features, new features will most likely have some minor bugs. A stable branch usually do not have cutting edit features until it become stable. Let me make an example, currently the PHP version 5.16 consider as stable, but some bug fix goes into the new version 5.2 and 5.3. Those bug fix did not go into 5.16.
------
Da PHP programmer

Edited by Goten on 03/26/01 02:27 PM.

Posted By: Rick Re: Stable branch? - 03/27/2001 5:32 AM
Any bugs found in the latest versions will have the fixes posted to the bug fixes forum. So, you'll be able to quickly update the version you are running without the need to wait for a full upgrade.
© UBB.Developers