UBB.Dev
Posted By: Rushster NewsPro Integration - 08/20/2001 5:49 AM
I have noticed this being brought up before and was wondering if anyone had created a hack . I sues to use DCboard and we had a hack so the news would automatically post into a specifed board from adrop down menu when you posted the news item. It then created a (talkback) link under the news post. Is there something similar for WWWthreads tat can be integrated into news so folk can comment on a news item.

I donmt want to use WWWthreads for the new posting by the way smile
Posted By: santana Re: NewsPro Integration - 08/20/2001 7:40 AM
Yes more over it uses ssi to call up the data, and it can be tweaked to be called by the script.

The script is an addon, so that you can specify which board do you want to use it as a news board, etc.

There are some addons to be used for displaying top posters as well as top threads.

Posted By: Dr_Manhattan link? - 08/20/2001 7:16 PM
Might help to supply a link to the hack . . .
Posted By: santana Re: link? - 08/21/2001 3:07 AM
Hello,

Well it's on the bundle package under directory addons.

Posted By: Dr_Manhattan not a hack, but a feature - 08/21/2001 6:57 PM
Oh, you're referring to the the files in the "addons" directory of the distribution (download) copy of W3T itself, which contains the scripts:

w3tnews.php
w3tposters.php
w3ttopthreads.php

That wasn't entirely clear.
Posted By: Roofdog Re: NewsPro Integration - 08/27/2001 6:42 PM
I was going to build in the NewsPro workflow on our site, but decided to try a w3tnews workaround. With only minor changes and some renaming, we've got a test page working that will allow us to post the top ten news items from any twelve of our dozens of forums. I simply renamed a copy with the proper paths set for each of the forums on our site....and Bud altered the SQL call to allow multiple SSIs.

My next step will be to alter the subscription page to allow members to choose which of the news blocks they want displayed on their version of the frontpage....with the help of a cookie. This is part of the "Integration" ideas I had for the next version of w3t. If this works, we'll make sure Scream gets the info so he can choose whether to integrate it into the distro....we hate to have to try and remember all the little hacks on each distro, so we usually choose to limit our hacks as much as possible.

Here's a link to my test page for this idea.... www.texasoffroad.net/html/index_w3tnews.php ....there's no nested tables yet, so there's no borders and backgrounds, but you get the idea....a few inline .css to keep the fonts under control and it's a very cool idea....

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated....especially for how to add another row of check boxes to the subscription page (probably have to add a new page, huh?) and where/how to alter the call to break out the selected choices and display them on the frontpage rather than send it by email via cron.
Posted By: kcweb Re: NewsPro Integration - 09/14/2001 5:00 AM
Hi Roofdog,

I really like what you've done with the integration of the top posts in your site.

I also like what you did with the drop down menu bar.

I'm trying to do something similar and I'm not super technical.

is it possible to get a sample of your php code for this?

thanks,

KC
Posted By: Dr_Manhattan I'll second that - 09/14/2001 9:38 PM
Also, does anybody know how to chop the news includes at the first, second or third instance of a period (.) or similar punctuation mark (?!) in PHP? Complete sentences look so much better.

The way w3tnews.php works is to (1) have the body of the news message set to NONE; (2) set body of the news message to FULL; or (3) specify an arbitrary number of characters to be displayed. This last option is problematic, because it can truncate hyperlinks/URLs and totally mess up the news includes.

I saw a solution for this on the PERL board, but I'm not enough of a code monkey to figure out a solution in PHP.

(I think this is how the news script should work by default.)
© UBB.Developers