UBB.Dev
Posted By: fishtails Threads Links Directory (TLD) BETA v 1.00 - 02/19/2003 9:39 PM
I didn't know if I should edit the original release or post it as a new thread or a message within this thread. So anyway, here it is. After much work, I think I got a release that can be dubbed for BETA testing.

What is it: TLD is a Yahoo style links manager specifically designed from the ground up for use with UBBThreads.

Author: Fishtails
Version: TLD - BETA v1.00
Credits: Gardener for help with loops
Threadsdev.com for inspiration
Josh Pet
Raconteur
Did I miss anyone?

This is a BETA release of the Threads Links Directory. If you are not comfortable in testing scripts then please don't fool with it.

Files Changed : I think all files were changed.
No database changes.

Change Log - http://www.fish-tails.net/dev_test/ubbthreads/links/links_change_log.txt

Demo: http://www.fish-tails.net/dev_test/ubbthreads/links.php

Instructions:

Threads Links Directory Docs.

Backup your files and database FIRST!

This is the first BETA release of TLD and is being released as a BETA test.
If you are not comfortable in testing this script then DON'T!

Designed for use with UBBThreads ver 6.2
May work with earlier versions but are not supported.

Directions:

Unzip the files and upload them to you UBBThreads installation
so that the main links.php script is in the same directory as your ubbthreads.php file.
The links folder will also be in the same tree

You should have the following structure:

ubbthreads/links.php
ubbthreads/links/the other files and folders.

You will need to add a link to your registerednav.tmpl and unregisterednav.tmpl of your UBBThreads
or where ever you want to have it. The link should point to links.php

Log in as admin and click the link to links.php. You will then be able to access the admin script from there. You will experience sql errors on the first run but this is only because the tables have not been built yet. Once you get to the admin page you will find the link at the bottom of the page to create your tables. Remember, you should always backup your files and database prior to installing these scripts.

Please provide feedback in this thread ASAP for further development.

Thanks and enjoy!
Mark Summerlin
http://www.fish-tails.net
[][email protected][/]

Attached File
69827-TLD_BETA_v100.zip  (66 downloads)
Posted By: shortbus Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/19/2003 10:24 PM
good job
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 1:10 AM
Way to go Mark!!!

This is Sweeeeeeeeeet!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 1:41 AM
yay
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 4:22 AM
https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/links.php

I've added 6 or so categories (one with 3 subcats) and they aren't showing up yet Looks good so far tho
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 4:26 AM
he he
Looks like a polar bear in a snowstorm. LOL
Posted By: omegatron Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 5:05 AM
Nice work I would love to see this working but I get the same errors as Allen. What is interesting is there are no links for anyone to add anything in the first place showing up. I added a few cats in the admin section but nothing shows and no links show for users to enter anything

http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/links.php
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 5:12 AM
aahhh... alpha
Posted By: omegatron Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 5:16 AM
Yes thats me thinks thats before beta
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:08 AM
Whoops! Try this link. https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/links.php?op=Links

I forgot to add that in the instructions. The script uses a switch operator, so your link to the main script needs to have ?op=Links behind links.php. ha ha! I can be stupid sometimes. Not all the time though, just some of the time. Had me going there for a minute. I was quite confused as to why you wouldn't get anything and I would.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:18 AM
ame here. http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/links.php?op=Links That's my fault, not saying anything about the ?op=Links. I submitted my link to you Omegatron, and it shows accepted, waiting for review. Unfortunately, the one I submitted to threadsdev didn't take for some reason. I need to check that.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:21 AM
Hmmm. I submitted the same site, which is a valid site. On Omegatrons it accepts it, but on the threads dev it does not validate. ......
Posted By: Dalantech Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:22 AM
I found an "irritation"

When you submit a link you have to include a trailing slash. For example the script claims that

http://www.dalantech.com

is not a valid url but

http://www.dalantech.com/

is valid. Irritating...
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:25 AM
he he... I went there and it said your link was waiting to be approved. I approved you.
Posted By: Dalantech Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:29 AM
Thanks
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:32 AM
This is looking really good!

May I suggest.......

Code
<br />if (!$op) {<br />  $op = "links";<br />}<br />

So that by default if you go to links.php it'll show you the links if theres no switch operator.

Also... error messages and output would be nicer in a table. Maybe thats coming. I know this is Alpha....

But it look really good so far.
(I added that graemlin just for you so I could post it here.)
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:32 AM
I'll leave my link for Allen or Dave to approve.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:38 AM
Well I'll be dog gone! Same here. The first time I did not include a trailing slash and it would not take. But with it, it does. Now, on Omegatrons site, I didn't include a trailing slash and it took. Something weally scwewy goin on awound hew! What are y'alls system configs, if you don't mind my asking?
Posted By: Dalantech Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 8:41 AM
Redhat Linux with PHP version 4 something (not sure, could find out if you need specifics).
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 9:01 AM
Thanks Josh. I'll try that and see what happens. I'm heading out of town on Friday for a few days so I probably won't have a chance to do anything until I get back. That will give plenty of time for feedback, though so far there's a long way to go. Thanks for the special graemlin my man!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 9:54 AM
Looking real good Mark
Posted By: foppen Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 12:38 PM
This is just what I was waiting for, I hope it will develop quickly, I don't know enough from this PHP to be of any service. (I wish I could)

There is one thing dough: it will not accept email adress
with this format <[email protected]>
Is that something that can be fixed?

As soon as it out alpha I will use it at my site.

Now I make use of "phplinks" but this is much better!!!!!
this is what I use now: click here sorry, it's in Dutch......
Posted By: omegatron Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/20/2003 12:54 PM
Looking very good.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/22/2003 4:57 AM
So , there's 7 downloads for the alpha. Has anyone found any significant problems, bugs or html etc... that needs to be addressed? I did notice one thing. The number of links in a subcategory does not discern from the approved/not approved links, so even though a link has not been approved yet for addition it will be counted. Simple change in the sql is all.

It also appears that the links_show_list.tmpl is missing a couple of <br /> in the for loop. Easy corection there as well.

So, how about it. Anyone see any security issues with it? If so, please let me know so I can fix that before I proceed with the rest of the features.

I'll be going out of town for several days and I won't be able to do any coding til I get back. Until then, everyone have a good weekend.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 02/22/2003 5:11 AM
Have a good weekedn.. Great work!

Also.... the number of links in a main category does not show. So if a link is just under "Computers" there's no number telling you how many. Only a count for subcats.
Posted By: Tiny Giants Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/01/2003 9:14 AM
I am no programmer, but I am going to play with this. In fact, this is what I have been waiting for (cliche' to say that on this board I know). But it is true. I currently have my site built around "Links 2.0" a Gossamer-Threads script and Ubbthreads. For the default look my site is relativly consistent. However I want to make the entire site consistent. With IIP, Threads, and TLD I think I can make that happen.

Good Luck with the development.

Thanks,
Dale
Posted By: Tiny Giants Re: Having Trouble - 03/02/2003 3:44 AM
I am having a little dificulty. I have loaded the files to my server. I have added the lines to my 2 .tmpl files. I logged in to ubbt then clicked the link to links.php. That is where it stops. I do not get any links to the set up that is mentioned in the documentation. What am I doing wrong?

I also added the ?op=Links statement.

I insterted an echo statement to verify it was reading me as the Administrator. It was.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale
Posted By: Tiny Giants Re: Having Trouble - 03/02/2003 5:31 AM
It must have something to do with my operating environment. I just loaded it to my online website and it worked like documented. Here at home on my PHPdev server (windows xp)all I get is the threads header and footer with TLD by fishtails inserted.

I am at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale
Posted By: Tiny Giants Re: Having Trouble - 03/02/2003 8:50 AM
I found it. my register_globals was set to off in the php.ini file. When I turned it on all was great.

Dale
Posted By: Gardener Re: Having Trouble - 03/02/2003 4:40 PM
Ah, ok, so it didn't get the information that was needed. That's one thing to fix, to make it read the input even if register globals is off.
Posted By: Pasqualist Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/03/2003 7:36 PM
I love this! Can I install this now or is it better to wait for the alpha version ? When will the alpha version be ready ?

Byeee,

Pasquale
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/04/2003 3:22 AM
The alpha version is what is available at this time. It is ONLY in TESTING stage at this point. DO NOT use it for a production site. PLEASE, PLEASE, don't use it for production yet. I only released it for testing and feedback. Also, keep in mind that alpha releases of ANY script should be considered UNSTABLE! BETA releases are considered more stable, but still not ready for production sites. Scripts of a BETA should only be used by those who are comfortable with potential bugs.

There's still much to do, and I just got back from out of town and haven't done anything in a week. I'll begin workin on the script again tommorrow. I'll will post here as the next test phase comes available. I do not currently have a time frame, as I am getting back in the groove, but I have a vacation coming up in a few weeks for a bluegrass festival so it most likely will be after that.

Again, please do not install this if you are not familiar with testing. Thanks.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/04/2003 3:45 AM
good to see you back
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/04/2003 3:55 AM
Thanks. My folks are getting up there in age so I have to make frequent trips to Pensacola to help out and do repairs. Glad to be back.
Posted By: Tiny Giants Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/04/2003 5:23 AM
Fishtails,
I installed your script for TLD. On my home server I ran into a little trouble with my globals being turned off. I turned them on and all was well. However it brought up a concern that you can read about here. Thanks for taking the time to work on this for our community. I am studying PHP as fast as I can so I can play too.

Dale
Posted By: boris Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/08/2003 10:07 AM
Hi,
Installed it and it looks really cool ...

I do have some suggestions for the upcoming beta versions

- user need to be registered to submit a link and userdata is taken from the forum.
This way it will integrate much more with the forum.

- user homepage links are automatically added to the TLD to a specific category if filled in the profile.

- the voting mechanism for topics would be really cool to integrate inhere too.

- setup some kind of moderator function for approving links.

Luv the TLD ... keep up the good work !
Greetz
Boris
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/10/2003 9:04 PM
[]fishtails said:
The alpha version is what is available at this time. It is ONLY in TESTING stage at this point. DO NOT use it for a production site. PLEASE, PLEASE, don't use it for production yet. [/]
Hey we live dangerously Mike

Welcome back.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/11/2003 6:13 PM
[]boris said:
Hi,
Installed it and it looks really cool ...

I do have some suggestions for the upcoming beta versions

- user need to be registered to submit a link and userdata is taken from the forum.
This way it will integrate much more with the forum.

- user homepage links are automatically added to the TLD to a specific category if filled in the profile.

- the voting mechanism for topics would be really cool to integrate inhere too.

- setup some kind of moderator function for approving links.

Luv the TLD ... keep up the good work !
Greetz
Boris [/]

Good suggestions, some of which I had thought about. The member only submitting I was thinking of making it configurable from the admin, member only or anyone.

User home page links I had thought about as well, but at the moment the only information available from the UBBT users would be the url itself. I'm not sure how to overcome this other than maybe using the username for the Title, then there's the issue of a description of the URL page.

Ratings are one of the things that would come later as I get the other features going. At the moment, I'm trying to decide what to do with URL in a category which the admin wishes to delete. Delete all instances for that category, or assign them another category for re-approval? Don't know what I will do with this yet.

Moderator approval is another thing that I think will come later. I want to get a decent beta out with admin approval first. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/11/2003 6:15 PM
heh heh! Mark!!! LOL I guess I'll go as Mike too.
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/14/2003 6:07 AM
Damn! This is the second time I do this isn't it.... Please forgive me it was the Ouzo....

BTW: I haven't forgotten you. I am waiting for my folkes to set the date when they are coming so that I can get fresh supplies
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/14/2003 6:48 PM
Hey Mark,

GREAT work on this. I have one minor change I made, which was to make your category input fields 50 chars in width. The DB column is set to Varchar(50) but the fields are only 20, and I was losing data in long category titles.

Also, I was thinking that adding an ORDER field to the categories might be cool, so people could order the categories to appear how they want. If left NULL the default behaviour would be to sort alphabetically like you are already.

Not sure what the protocol is for development like this, and I certainly do not want to step on any toes, but if you want some help hammering some of this out, I have a few spare cycles. I am really interested in using this thing and just want to see it get fully-fledged ASAP!

Cheers,

Chris
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/14/2003 7:09 PM
Some other look and feel ideas:

** Link approval screen layout could be a bit more cleanly displayed, and it would be nice to show what category the link is proposed in.

** Be great to be able to re-categorize a link upon approval if necessary

** Be great to have more than one category level

** Ability to edit category names without going into the backend

** Reformat successful link submission screen... the bold centered text is tough to read and get info out of

** I'd personally really like to see a lot of the code and SQL in the templates be offloaded into the appropriate PHP scripts just for cleanliness and readability

I am sure I will come up with some others, and please know I am NOT hammering on this at all... I think it is a great mod!

I will probably do a lot of this stuff myself, just because I'd like to take this live as soon as I can. If you want, I'd be more than happy to send over the changes for integration into future works.

Way to go, Mark!
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/15/2003 8:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Actually, all items in your post are on the to do list, some of which I have already done, such as the renaming of cats and changing a links cat. The hold up is only my finding the time to code, and of course some studying in my php book. This will be my first script made from scratch that is for public release. I've done a few others, though very very simple, for personal use, so I want to try and make this as clean and professional as possible with good docs.

I really was trying to do something on my own, just so I could say I did it, but I realize that most people take help and add to their scripts whenever possible. Also, quite a few people, it seems, are waiting for this. So, that being said, I'll gladly accept any help I can get.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/15/2003 9:44 PM
Yeah, collabrative efforts work best. Even Threads itself gets feedback and such to it's scripts. But it makes it better.
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/17/2003 5:25 PM
Good deal, Mark. I totally understand about wanting to do it yourself, and am more than happy to wait for your work. If you are sure you do want the help, why don't you let me know either what you are working and and what you WANT to work on, and I can do things other than that, or you can just assign me some tasks and will work on those.

For starters, replace your last print statement with this to make the formatting of the successfully added link page a little more readable:

Code
 <br />print " <br />	<table border=0 width=95% align=center> <br />		<tr> <br />			<td> <br />				<table border=2 width=100% align=center> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>The url <b>$url</b> is valid.</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>Your submission was successful.&nbsp; It will be reviewed by site staff.</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>The following is what you submitted:</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>&nbsp;</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td width=15% nowrap><b>URL:</b></td> <br />						<td>$url</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Title:</b></td> <br />						<td>$title</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Description:</b></td> <br />						<td>$description</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Submitted By:</b></td> <br />						<td>$name</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Submitter's Email:</b></td> <br />						<td>$email</td> <br />					</tr> <br />				</table> <br />			</td> <br />		</tr> <br />	</table> <br />"; <br /> <br />
Posted By: shortbus Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/18/2003 6:19 AM
I feel like a little kid before Christmas. I know what I'm getting and simply can't wait to open it and play with it.

Remember what it was like when you were little! (ahem )

Keep up the good work man!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/23/2003 11:03 AM
How's it going? I wanna play too
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/23/2003 10:01 PM
Dunno... haven't heard back from Mark yet...
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/27/2003 10:37 PM
Hey Mark,

I have a bunch of this stuff done if you want to have a look at it... Mostly formatting and cleaning up some of the display stuff.

Cheers,

Chris
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 03/28/2003 11:46 PM
Hoping Mark comes back soon... I have several enhancements and bug-fixes I'd like to share but don't want to step on toes or have redone work he has already accomplished.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 6:28 AM
Hi,
Sorry for the absence. Had some unexpected personal stuff come up. I haven't done anything in a while due to the unforeseen circumstances. That being said, I'm ready to get back to work. Can you post your changes, or do you need to send them to me? angler at fish-tails.net
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 8:04 AM
cool good to see you back
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 7:57 PM
Hey Mark! Welcome back.

I will pack up what I have done so far. If you want to see the way things look, go to http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/links.php

I also added some admin functionality.

I will zip it up and email it to you with the things I was planning on doing to it for our site. Maybe we can make a little development schedule from that plus the work you wanted to do?

Cheers,

Chris
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 9:21 PM
Hi, Chris.

I just recieved your email and will take a look at the files later this evening while at work. I'll get back to you hopefully this evening.

Mark
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 9:23 PM
Sounds good. Did you get a chance to check out the mods I made on our site?
Posted By: shortbus Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 10:09 PM
looks really good man
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/02/2003 10:27 PM
Mark did a bang-up job on this thing!!!
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/06/2003 2:16 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back. They've got me strapped here at work so finding time is a hit and miss sort of thing. I did look at your site and it looks great. I also looked at some of the files (not all of them yet) and have added some of the changes. (Some I had already done) I should have some free time tommorrow morning to incorporate the admin changes.

I have begun work on editing categories and links from the admin and have some ideas for some other stuff.

For those interested, I'll be doing a mod for myself which incorporates some of Amazon.com Web Services for affiliate associates. I was wondering if there were any thoughts on two versions of TLD, one called Lite, and one called Pro maybe? The Pro version would include code to work with the Amazon.com affiliate program pulling relevant titles based on the category the user is surfing and displaying them along with links. Something like what google does with sponsored links to the right of the list, only they would be book titles. What do you guys think? Obviously the Lite would be completed first and released. Anyway, just looking for some input on this idea.
Posted By: shortbus Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/06/2003 3:47 AM
fish, that would be cool.
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/06/2003 4:58 AM
Mark, let me know if there is anything you'd like me to work on to help you out.
Posted By: smilesforu Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/06/2003 1:59 PM
Mark great idea here is my experience along that line with integration. I have used that style of pull for years on my site directory with cgi scripts. Biggest problem is the constant changes from amazon. Every time they changed it broke the script which sucked. Might be easier to add that in a custom header or footer. Or as a separate addon for the amazon feature.

Perhaps some more info on how you generate the links from amazon would help. If you plan on using the generic 5% links it wouldn't be as much trouble to keep up to date as trying to keep the 15% clickable links current.

Personally I would prefer amazon as a addon that we might intergrate better with the forums.
Posted By: omegatron Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/06/2003 2:14 PM
Yeah I use the amazon 5% link as a clickable link in my banner ad program. I agree I tried the 15% and they always broke this should be standable. I think making your core program gold should be tops. I will lend a hand where I have made some changes and send them on to you as well.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/06/2003 9:05 PM
Sounds good to me Finish the 'lite' version, then pull out the stops for a 'pro' version, people will pay for good software
Posted By: jluerken Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/07/2003 12:35 PM
Would be nice to see the lite version in beta or final status. Any idea when this will be?
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/08/2003 10:49 PM
Been working on it late last night and most of the day. I may have something this weekend.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/09/2003 4:09 AM
great, thanks mark
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) - 04/09/2003 4:19 AM
Yeah!
BETA version 1 is out. See the first post for the zip file.
Hey Mark,

I integrated most of your changes (exluding the ones that stomped on code I had already changed), and everthing looks good so far... but I cannot upload a new link. I either get the failed link page, even though the link works fine, or a blank screen.

After putting in a couple of echos, I am seeing the problem is right around line 69, where the call to @fopen is. The script just seems to stop there... Any ideas?
Are you including a trailing slash when you submit the link? I don't know why, but on some peoples sites they have that problem. A link without the trailing slash for some reason doesn't work on all servers. Why, I don't know, but on my test site either/or works fine. I guess I need to put in a regex to make sure there is one before it validates the link. Any other problems?

I also just noticed that I forgot to change a couple of instances where syngnathid.org and the linksmeister is hardcoded in instead of a var. I'll have to post the fix this evening when I get home from work.

Anybody else notice anything wrong?
Sorry about that, Mark! Didn't realize I had left them in there myself.

As for that link, here it is:

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve15.cfm

Works just fine in a browser, but the darned checker chokes on it everytime...
I just tried that link on my test site and it submitted OK.

[] The url http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve15.cfm is valid.
Your submission was successful. It will be reviewed by the syngnathid.org staff.
The following is what you submitted:

URL: http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve15.cfm
Title: Hagen for Pets
Description: With the introduction of BioMax Biological Filter Material, the aquarist’s choice of media and media placement has been widened. One of the greatest strengths of Fluval’s canister format is compatibility with a wide variety of filter media. Experimentation with media placement is the keystone of the filter line. Three individual chambers permit easy access to media, allowing the aquarist to replace spent media without disturbing the other layers.
Submitted By: Mark
[/]

I don't know why it won't work on your setup. When I package up the zip, it was directly from my test site, this way I know I don't screw something up and get a wrong file. What is your server configuration?
Can you try submitting it to our site?

I am not sure what kind of servers we are running on... I would assume Unix/Apache.
I just tried and I got an invalid url. I did notice something. It appears that the submit page is not the new one in the zip file.
Yeah, I took out some stuff from your page like email and username, since we only allow registered users to post links. I just pick up the info from their profile when they submit.

I am also running $title and $description through addslashes() because we were getting problems with quotes in link titles.

Other than that code is the same.
I'll have to add a check for magic quotes in the next update and have it handled properly. I don't know why it won't on your site though. Who is your host? Anybody have any ideas?
Server101 in Oz is our host... I will write to them and ask.

So far very few have failed, though... we 107 links in our gallery!
Hey Mark, with the next update, can you keep the first post updated with the latest code? Will prevent a lotta silly questions from people who grab old code Just ask JustDave about that one
Ten to one I bet on his server magic_quotes_gpc
are set to OFF. best to add the check to make it work either way.
Nope... just checked it... they are ON.
Here is the dump of the error including the Magic Quotes setting and the query:

Magic Quotes ON
Q = INSERT INTO w3t_links_links (cat_id, approved, title, url, description, date_added, name, hits, submitter, linkratingsummary, totalvotes, totalcomments) VALUES ('10', 0, 'Fluval Canister Filters', 'http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/sub_category.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107', 'Excellent encapsulated filtration systems.', '1050002925', 'Raconteur', 0, '79', '0.0000', 0, 0)

PHP Warning: php_hostconnect: connect failed in /s101/home4/syngnathids/ubbthreads/links/links_submit_link.php on line 79 PHP Warning: fopen("http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/sub_category.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107", "r") - Bad file descriptor in /s101/home4/syngnathids/ubbthreads/links/links_submit_link.php on line 79 FAILED
From our host:

[]
That particular site seems to be blocking port 80 connections from our server,
I tested some other URL's and was able to get through.
[/]
I just put this up on my site (unlinked) for testing. Is there not a way to delete categories once they are added yet?
The problem with deleting things from a tree structure is what do you do with the children?

It is an easy problem if you have an empty subcategory. That can be deleted with no repurcussions. But a subcat or cat that has other items in it would need to have those items removed prior to deleting the container, or you get orphans that cannot be accessed.

This should be added to the functionality though... Mark, what do you think about adding this with a mass move option to migrate child nodes to another parent?
HMM interesting
I was just wondering since I was tinkering with it and wanted to play around with it - brainstorm about what kind of heirarchy I want to use. I'll just delete the tables from MySQL and brainstorm on paper.
I just deleted the file and moved it to the first post. I wasn't sure where to put it at first. Oh, and I made a few minor corrections so the new zip is now current and up to date. Thanks.
Yes, that will be in the next update. I haven't decided how I want to go about it. I'm thinking of maybe moving all links into a que when a category is deleted as if waiting for approval. I can't imagine how often, though, that someone would want to delete a category that was full of links. Lots easier just changing the name, which is in this release. When you are talking about a mass move, are you thinking of generating a list with select boxes and then a drop down of cat to move them to?

I also need to work on paginating, with the user selecting the number of links to display, say a choice between 10, 20 or as high as 50. Any ideas on how to do this, otherwise I'll pull out the old php how to book.

A couple of other things I want to add is a 'My Favorite Links' for registered members. Of course the ratings and and other features like maybe a review or recomended links by the staff, etc. One thing at a time. I need to figure out why that link won't work on your server. php.net, here I come.
Found this on php.net. What version of php do you have?

[] Note that some versions of PHP (4.0.3?) appear to have some fopen(URL...) bugs. The fopen will fail occasionally even though the URL is valid and there are sufficient resources on the box to open the URL.

This can likely be fixed by either an upgrade to a newer version or an automatic retry loop in your code. [/]
Sounds good, Mark. Did you see my reply from our host?? They think that the server I am trying to contact is blocking port 80 requests from their servers... so it may not be a PHP issue at all.

We are using PHP ver. 4.2.3.
Yeah, I saw that, but the way fopen works, it automatically tries it at port 80, and if it blocked it from your host, why wouldn't it block it from mine? That would be on their end I would think, and not on ours. On another note, did you try it with just the home page domain name instead of the full url?
I am assuming they can block ports for various referrers... not sure if that is possible but seems it.

I tried the base URL too, and it won't work either.
Hi all

Has anyone had problems with submitting a link with a filename that has spaces in it.......

eg.... file name here.html

I can't get it to accept this and receive this error

www.thefileaddress/file name here.html is not a valid url or is temporarily unavailable. Please check the url by clicking on the link and try again.

Works ok if when I rename the file and I take the spaces out.

Thanks
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/links.php

From the admin menu, you might wanna include a 'links home' link to the public links.php file
Can a URL have spaces in it?

Hi Josh

Sure I do it all the time ...see here one I made with all spaces..

http://www.hillcrestknitwear.com/spaces here too/I have spaces in my address.html

works for me anyway no underscore needed, the browser should put %20 in place of the spaces for you.

Yes George right? Most browsers will do that %20 however I think most coded programs are not set to recognize the spaces by default. I do not know of anyone personally who uses spaces in file names without an underscore or something. This is where you run into alot of error's on the web when browsing and such.
Hi Chuck

OK, so it's probably best if something was writen on the submit page about spaces, maybe after "Submit Link to this category"

Thanks
Yes I am sure Mark could do that. It would need to add %20 whereever a space was.
Hi Allen.

There is a link from the admin section back to the links home. I followed the link you provided and it looks as though you still have the alpha installed there. Notably, a first clue to me was the number of links in the main cats is not displaying. I added this to the latest release and even though you may not have a link in the main cat, it will still count a 0 and display it next to the cat name, just like the sub cats do.
As Omegatron was saying, spaces are replaced by %20 individually by the browsers themselves. This is inherent in Windows, as nix does not recognize spaces (to my knowledge) in a files name. Usually this happens when a page is created using MS Front Page and links are inserted thru the FP wizard. FP also defaults to the file extension of .htm instead of .html . This can be changed in FP settings BTW, if you want to change it, otherwise it doesn't matter.

But, back to the spaces. I'll have to do a preg, I think, to solve this little bug.
Here is an interesting thing that I found (although I might be dumb here).

I clicked on Allen's post to submit a link on the TLD.
I entered my site and I got this:

http://ffff.niden.net is not a valid url or is temporarily unavailable. Please check the url by clicking on the link and try again.

I haven't seen the code if it tries to check if it gets a 200 reply from the submitted site but I can assure you it is up and running.
Nikos, this has to do with something on their server that's doing it. If you add a trailing slash to the url, it will accept. On my site you don't need a trailing slash. I found a note over at php.net saying that some versions of php (4.03) has some sort of bug where it causes this problem. Since I'm using the latest version of php, I don't see the error. I believe I can fix this, but I won't be able to test it on my server, since I don't have the problem. The best fix would be to upgrade php. But I'll include the fix in the next version, so long as I can get someone who is seeing this problem to test it for me to make sure it works.
Mark,

What happens in your site if you are adding the trailing slash (where you don't need it)? Will that add it successfully? If yes then why not alter the code to add it either way if it is not present so that you ensure backwards compatibility?

Just a thought
Yes, it adds it wether there is a trailing slash or not. This is what I mean where I'll need to add something to make sure it has a trailing slash or not. Where I am having trouble is in the regex. How to determine if the url submitted has an actual file name or is it a domain name/folder. We only want to add the trailing slash to those that are not the actual file. With so many possible file extensions (.cfm, .mp3, .htm, .html, etc..etc..) I can't come up with an expression to get all of them. Any ideas? Need a regex guru here.
Spaces are evil to most computer languages... as most parsers use white space to distinguish between tokens... best to use either typical variable notation (YourFileNameHere - case of the first letter depends on style and language) or underscores (your_file_name_here) to keep safe.
HMMM.. I uploaded all the files from the zip attached to the first post. Was there some upgrade step I needed to do? Do I need to drop the database and start over? I didn't make any changes there from the first install
All you should have to do Allen is upload the new files. No database changes or anything.
Make sure all files were overwritten. In the latest release there is a new folder for images. It wasn't there in the first one. Also, each script file is dated April 8th at the top of the file. I just checked the url again, and I'm sure that it's the original ALPHA version you have up there. There were no database changes at all so that won't make any difference.
Chuck, I just went to your installation of TLD. You've got the right files, but soon after I posted the release, I noticed a couple of cosmetic issues and re-uploaded an updated version. Notably, when you go to the links page, there is a link in the main menu that says "Links-Meister: Bucaru". I took that out because it was a change that Reconteur had done for his install and I overlooked it when applying some of his changes.

Also, I don't know if you are aware of this, but when I try to surf your site, no matter if it's the home page or the Main Index, I keep getting the following error:

Problems with this web page might prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly.

Line: 20
Char: 1
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=News

The URL changes on each link I go to. I'm using IE 5 on the particular machine I'm talking about. Probably an IE5 thing but thought you might want to know in case it was something else.
ok, thanks I re-upped them again and forced it to copy over newer files, looks to be updated now,
Yep do not get any error's on IE 6 and Mozilla as well as Netscape. I would think it is an IE 5.5 thing.
Hi all

My links do not show on the main links page like the one here at threads. https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/links.php

My links page only shows the categories and only when I click the category I see the links.

Am I missing something????

Thanks

Have you approved them?

Click on Links Admin and see if there are any waiting links.
Now it looks familiar. Let me know how things look and are functioning.
Hi

Edited....

Sorry guys, my fault .. getting tired, They are sub categories not links.

Sorry Josh

Thanks
Hi again

I cannot rename or delete a main category.

Sub Category I can rename though.

I need to DELET a category, but how??

As far as I can see I can only Edit a category so if I do that and delete the name (or rename) the category then click submit it says it has updated the category but nothing happens.

Thanks
Umm, it seems you found a slight bug. I just checked on my test site and sure enough, you can't change the main category. Something I overlooked. You can edit the subcats though, but just deleting the name will not delete the category. I'll post the fix for updating the top category name on my next break. As far as deleting a cat, next release will have that.
Bug fix: Open the file links_admin.php with any text editor. On or about line # 110 find this:

Code
 print "<hr><a href=\"links_admin.php?op=edit_cat&amp;=cat_id=$row[cat_id]&amp;title=$row[title]\">Edit</a>&nbsp;<b>$row[title]</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 

Replace it with this:

Code
 print "<hr><a href=\"links_admin.php?op=edit_cat&amp;cat_id=$row[cat_id]&amp;title=$row[title]\">Edit</a>&nbsp;<b>$row[title]</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 

Basically you're taking out a = sign that shouldn't be there. Thanks for alerting me on this. As far as deleting a cat, if you really need to delete it and there are no links in that category, you can use phpmyadmin to delete the category. If you have links in it and want to keep them, you'll need to edit the links from the admin to change their category, then delete the cat via phpmyadmin. Otherwise, you'll leave orphan links in the database.
Hi all

Yes, both fixes worked fine.

How about some icons as headings for categories.

Thanks
Maybe this is already voered, but there are too manyposts to read:

1) The output after you submit a link is not in a table, therefore doesnt show up on my dark background
1b) Same with the invalid url submitted error.
2) The user is already authenticated, but asks for a Name and Email address; these are already available, why ask again?
3) The profile link doesnt work as it puts the name in the place of there the usernumber should be
4) When you submit a link there should be a "return to main index" page.

Looks like a great start!
Mark, most of EBs issues here I have already done in the stuff I sent you... Especially the use of username and userID instead of making them add it and their email. If you look on our site www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/links.php you can see how anyone who submits a link is attached to it via their profile.

Also the output of the success screen and failure screen I thought I had put in tables... Have to check.

Do you want this stuff again?
Hi

1. Users see the link "Links Admin" on main links page if you are a nornal user, but they cant do anything so can it be taken off that page for them.

2. And maybe an explanation what to do to add a link.

Thanks
Are you sure you have the latest version?? I fixed that in what I sent Mark... maybe it didn't get integrated?
I dont think Mark has uploaded anything new.....
Hi

I'm using Download 69827 - php files dated April 4th

[]extremebikini said:
Maybe this is already voered, but there are too manyposts to read:

1) The output after you submit a link is not in a table, therefore doesnt show up on my dark background
1b) Same with the invalid url submitted error.
2) The user is already authenticated, but asks for a Name and Email address; these are already available, why ask again?
3) The profile link doesnt work as it puts the name in the place of there the usernumber should be
4) When you submit a link there should be a "return to main index" page.

Looks like a great start! [/]

1 and 1b. Next release.
2. Working on this. As it stands, the changes Reconteursent did have it authenticated and correct, however, there was nothing set for an anonymous user to submit a link, should the admin desire to allow anonymous submissions. This will be added in the next release which I hope to get by this weekend.
3. See number two.
4. Didn't think of it. Will add it.

I realize that many may think I'm moving kind of slow on this, but understand this is my very first script writing from the ground up. Everything else I've done have been hacks. What I'm trying to do first is get a code base done that is stable and ready for production site with minimal features (those which are there) and any major bugs eliminated. I'm hoping that after this weekends beta release, if everything goes A-OK, we can consider it stable, but again not until the few annoying things are worked out. Once I have a stable script, then I want to start adding all of the other bells and whistles. You're correct, though, this thread is getting quite long, so I'm wondering if maybe a new post for TLD feature requests and one for TLD bug reports would be in order. What do y'all think?
No, I still have the files you sent me. The reason I didn't add this is due to admins that may want to allow anonymous users to submit links. The output you did have in tables, but I don't beleave any css were applied to them. I'll have to check.
The last upload was 04/10/03 11:58 PM . The file is in the very first post as edited.
Liahona, I got your PM. I don't quite understand what you mean though. Could you clarify for me?
Once it gets to a beta status, you might want to begin a new thread and close this one with a pointer to the new one That would ease some congestion
Hey Mark,

I don't think there is any CSS refs in the tables, but that shouldn't matter... the tables will just come out clear.

Had thought about the anonymous users adding links, and what I was thinking is just making a checkbox or something that says "REGISTERED USER" or something to that effect. If the user checks that then it applies their ID and username. However, I think I am using your fields slightly differently... I use name for the registered username and submitter for the registered user id.

Again, let me know if I can help!
Fishtails... you are doing great here. You should be proud.

Yeah, take your time, get the code stable and then run with it.
I agree with Josh... we understand time constraints...

Are you done yet?

NO!

Are you done yet?

NO!

Are you done yet?

NO!

Are you done yet?

NO!

Hi Mark

Ok, Instead of having text/link for the MAIN category can you have an image instead or if not then can we have something that allows the admin to make it a NONE LINK text just like a heading in the forms.

Heading 1 Heading 2 Heading 3 ALL none clickable

or

IMAGE 1 IMAGE 1 IMAGE 3 ALL none clickable
Heading 1 Heading 2 Heading 3 ALL none clickable

With the heading below the image.....

Maybe a checkbox to allow the heading to have links in the main body of that category or force them to put their links into a SUB-category.

(PhotoPost allows you to say whether the heading has or does not have photos in it.)

Just another add on for later, no big deal.

Thanks
Hi

Just another idea....

The main categories............

1. are 4 across can I make this 3 as it is rather cramped when the side bar is on.

2. can there be a line or something down in between the 4 main categories to separate them.

Thanks
Are you done yet?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
LOL!! You guys are cracking me up! Soon, baby soon. Josh, in links.php you can configure the number of columns to however many you want. 1 to unlimited. It's near the top where the actual code begins. I can't remember off hand what the var is, and I'm at work right now. I'm sure you can find it though.
Mark,
I just wanted you to know that I am following this along, and I appreciate it. Once it is stable I am hopeing to switch over to TLD. I use LINKS by gossamer-threads currently, but I want to make a threads driven website.

Thanks again to you and the other script builders out there.

Dale
Hi

Just another little one for the list to do.

Can the admin be notified when a link is pending approval?

Thanks
Good one George
Some notes, I don't know if they've been brought up. I have TLD up unlinked on my site.

http://www.drumlines.org/threads/links.php

When you submit a link, then click on "add another link", it just takes you back to links.php. Maybe there should be two options here? One could be "Add another link to this category" which would take you back to the link submission form, and the other could be "Return to links home".

I have added another column to w3t_links called "order". I edited the PHP and tmpl files so that the categories are ordered according to the number in the "order" column. I did this since alphabetically wasn't working since my High School and College categories have so many sub-cats. I wanted to put them side-by-side so that the page would not be twice as long as it is now.

I'm looking forward to the script picking up that a user is logged in and adds his/her information to the link. Personally, I would want only logged in members to be able to submit links. This would keep things more uniform and add yet another reason to sign-up.

If you look at my "Drum Corps" category, you will see that the sub-cat "DCI" has 2 links. However, the category "Drum Corps" says it has zero total. Shouldn't this number reflect the total of links in "DCI" and "DCA"?

And what the heck is up with the link-meister??? I took this out since it didn't make any sense to me. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.

I like it when, just below the site's description, the actual URL appears in small text. Can this be added?

A "NEW" function would be GREAT! It could show users what, if any, links are new since they've last logged in, akin to new posts in the forum. They could also have an option for the links to "mark all read".

Can a small text date/time stamp be added to the link for when it was submitted (not approved)?

Maybe there could be an extra link by each link that could say something like, "Comment on this site". It could take them to a forum that would be hidden from being shown in postlist, like the shout box, and they could enter their comments, if any, about the site that's linked.

If you made it this far into my post, you must have as much of a life as I do!

So anyways, just some stuff I had on my mind. If some of it has already been discussed, send me to my room without dinner. I'll understand.
You're welcome. Glad you like it.
Good suggestion. On my to do.
Hello, 'Other' Josh! I would be interested in seeing your files for the order of listing cats. It's something on my to do list, but since you've already done it perhaps I can use some of the code. Don't forget you can change the number of columns displayed as well. The variable is at the top of links.php.

Yes, member/anon will be configurable, eventually from the admin.

Linkmeister? You obviously were one of the 5 that got hold of the beta script before I could upload the correction for that. That's something Reconteur did for his site.

The totals in the cats are for the number of links directly in that cat, but I've been thiking of changing this. Here's my thought. When the main cat is clicked it gives you a list of sub cats within that category of course, right? So, I'm thinking of setting up either a featured link list in the main category, which of course features links recomended by the admin, or perhaps is top rated (yes, ratings are in the future), or possibly the latest (new) links. The total of links next to the main cat would be total of links in the subcats. How does that sound. The more I think of it, I was planning on adding a 'New' category, so the idea of making the main cats for featured/popular links seems more appropriate. Essentially, if an admin wanted to, they could charge a fee for sites being featured near the top. Comments and ratings I think I've mentioned before. Date and time as well.

One step at a time.
Hears another to do...

Can you make it that when the admin submits a site that it does not need to be approved.

Thanks
Glad to see I could get the gears turning even more than they are. The code I altered was actually not a great feat. Heck, I'm more familiar with Spanish than I am with PHP (and I couldn't make it a day in Spain)

In links/links_show_cat.php I changed:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
FROM {$config['tbprefix']}links_categories
WHERE parent_id = '$parent_id'
ORDER BY 'title'
";
[/]

to:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
WHERE parent_id = '$parent_id'
ORDER BY 'Order'
";
[/]

And in links/templates/links_show_cat.tmpl I changed:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
WHERE parent_id = '$id'
ORDER BY 'title'
";
[/]

to:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
WHERE parent_id = '$id'
ORDER BY 'Order'
";
[/]

Why is the code in both files anyway?

I love all of your brainstorms about the categories. Fly with it!
Are you done yet?

LOL No. I had to put this on the backburner until this next weekend. I'm in the middle of upgrading my fish-tails site to the latest and greatest threads and photopost.
hmmm... threads 6.3 might be out by then
Hi all

More thoughts.........to do

I am putting in a lot of links on my site right now but it is getting tiresome having to put my own name and email each time I add a link.

Also having to approve something I put in myself especialy one at time.

Any ideas how to do this easier/quicker.

Also having to go back to the beginning to add a link to the same cat as well.
[]Liahona said:
Hi all

More thoughts.........to do

I am putting in a lot of links on my site right now but it is getting tiresome having to put my own name and email each time I add a link.

Also having to approve something I put in myself especialy one at time.

Any ideas how to do this easier/quicker.

Also having to go back to the beginning to add a link to the same cat as well.
[/]

I'll add this in the next release. Not long now.
cool
Posted By: zygote Re: Threads Links Directory (TLD) BETA v 1.00 - 04/28/2003 8:30 PM
I have to say that this is very cool, fishtails has done a great job...

"IF" users are logged in there User, Email would be already added to the submit form.

I added the value {$user['U_Username']} to the user field and {$user['U_Email']} to the template links_submit_form.tmpl,
then I added $user = $userob -> authenticate("U_Email"); to links_submit_form.php, and this seems to work just fine.

Now my question is,
Would this be a correct way to get the user info in the fields.
Hmmm.. bumping for one of ther devs, I'm not sure
http://www.viperalley.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

I added a Random Link PAL to my front page (if anyone is interested). Pretty simple actually, just:

SELECT title,url,description FROM w3t_links_links ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1

And fill in the blanks.
Nice one EB!!!
Sorry guys & gals. Something unexpected came up and I had to drop everything I was doing. Just thought I would pop in and see what was going on and if there were any more suggestions before I got back to work. Nice random link idea EB.

Now, back to work.

Oh, BTW, Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers out there.
Good to see you Mark
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/14/2003 11:42 PM
Thanks Allen, oh and yeah, happy birthday!

I thought I would update on where I am at on TLD.

I've just completed the email notification - admin receives an email when a link has been submitted. The admin can optionally turn this off if they so desire.

If the admin submits a link, it is automatically approved and entered into the database without further action.

Users have been implemented, configurable as well. You can now dis-allow nonmembers the ability to submit links. Each link will have a link to the submitters profile. If you allow anonymous link submits, then the script will determine wether they are a member or not and provide either a link to their profile or a mailto link to email the nonmember.

Anyway, that's where I am at. All of the above have been tested and proved flawless, but you can help me test it by going to the test site and trying it out, logged out and logged in. Thanks.

The next steps will be to:

add Popular Links, or Hot Links if you want to call them that (admin can determine how many hits a link must have before being considered popular)

Ratings will be next. I figure a drop down box next to the link (convenient), or should it be a different page?

These shouldn't be too difficult, I think, but I won't give a release date until I get them coded.

Again, suggestions, or have I forgotten anything, Please let me know.

Later.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/14/2003 11:44 PM

When will this current version that you're describing be available to download?
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/15/2003 1:08 AM
Well, the last time I said I would have a release on such and such date, I didn't get it out and it was subsequently two weeks before I could get back to work on it. BUT, I am hoping to have something this weekend, but don't hold me to it. Things are topsy turvy around here my way.
Posted By: shortbus Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/15/2003 7:25 AM
Well come on man, get on the ball. Besides, what is more important than TLD? .

You know you've got a great idea for a mod when the freaking thread is 11 pages and counting.
Posted By: PhotoPost Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/15/2003 3:07 PM
I think 9 pages are spent asking when the update will be available. :lol:
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/15/2003 7:21 PM
Are we there yet?
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/15/2003 7:53 PM
Ok, another update. I just got through adding in category sorting, so you will now be able to sort the MAIN categories however you want, instead of the default alphabetical sort.

I'm working on the ratings and hot links now. If you want to take a look, go ahead, but none of the code for these are done, but you can at least take a look at the html and tell me if the layout is OK. Oh, did I mention I ain't done yet?
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 5:51 AM
I wonder if this will be in 6.4 .... (hint, hint)
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 5:58 AM
I dunno Check your magical gif files.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 7:14 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about those!!!
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 7:29 AM
I've found it! Proof that the links mod will be included in 6.4!!!

Attached picture 81365-links.gif
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 7:34 AM
Photoshopper!

Folks - he's just "joshing".
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 7:35 AM
I am NOT a PhotoShopper!!!

I used Paint Shop Pro.
oh yeah, 6.4 looks a good bit different from that
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 6:44 PM
I thought 6.4 was going to have a calendar? Anyway, you'll be happy to hear that I'm almost done. I am working on the favorites now. This next update will include the following:

• Hot links / Popular links. Choose how many hits before a link is considered hot.
  • Newest links. Last x number of links to be added. You choose the number.
  • Favorite Links - this is what I'm working on now. Basically a member just add and remove links to their favorite links.
  • Category sorting
  • Admin additions are auto approve when adding links.
  • Top rated links - members can rate a link from 1 to 5 and then top x number of top rated links are displayed
  • I did some other stuff but I can't remember what I did here at work.
All of the above is complete with the exception of the favorites, and of course the language files and install/upgrade script. There are some db changes with this. Please try out what I have so far at http://www.fish-tails.net/dev_test/ubbthreads/links.php?op=Links and provide feedback. Some items will require being logged in such as ratings and such.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/21/2003 11:28 PM
Excellent work - looking forward to giving this a run out soon Well done.
Posted By: PhotoPost Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/25/2003 4:10 AM
Dont forget to add:

addslashes($description);

to the INSERT in the submit_link.php script....

FYI, cant test your site - no cats to submit to and wont take any submissions.
Posted By: fishtails Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/26/2003 4:33 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I've added it in. The reason you couldn't test the test site was because I was probably running tests on the install and upgrade scripts (there are database changes) when you went there, so I was adding and deleting cats for the last 24+ hours. I'm going to package it up in the morning and post it. The only thing is I didn't have time to update the language files. Seeing how this will be a BETA release anyhow, and there's quite a few people waiting to see what it is, I figured I'd release it without finishing the language files and get some feedback on this release. I do believe this is nearing a point of coming out of beta status.

See y'all in the morning.
Posted By: PhotoPost Re: Threads Links Directory (status update) - 05/26/2003 4:35 AM
Also had the sdame problem for EDIT link - addslashes needed for title and description.
TLD Bv1.5 has been released here -> https://ubbdev.com/forum/showfl...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

This thread can be closed.
© UBB.Developers