UBB.Dev
Posted By: Raconteur_dup1 RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/03/2003 12:10 AM
If anyone is using RaiderSoft's chat at the Platinum level, here is a custom authentication script for it.

If you go to your RaiderSoft control panel, click User Accounts, then Options, scroll to the bottom and select "Custom Authentication Script". In the field, enter:
Code
http://www.yoursite.com/ubbthreads/chatAuthentication.php
or wherever you upload the file to.

Then if you pass the following params to your chat applet:

<param name="username" value="$Username">
<param name="password" value="$Password">
<param name="autologin" value="yes">

You will be automatically logged in when you invoke the applet. The authentication script also takes advantage of the return value of 2, which grants moderators and admins chat room op status (they can kick and ban and such).

Cheers,

Chris

Attached File
74708-chatAuthentication.zip  (240 downloads)
Posted By: smilesforu Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/03/2003 10:03 AM
You can also pass these with the applet parameters
Pass what?
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/03/2003 8:07 PM
Cool, I registered on your site to check it out, does having the chat software on your server slow your site down at all? Also, do you know if there is a way to only allow a certain "group" access to the chat?
Hey there,

I am actually working with RaiderSoft on the login problem... should be fixed soon, but it you just refresh the page a few times when you have that problem you will get in.

As for performance, the chat hosting is done by RaiderSoft's machines and is very quick.

You can allow anyone access through several methods of authentication. For our site, you MUST enter the chat room through a specific page, and that page can only be accessed by registered members of our site.

You could easily create UBB.threads groups and have the chat link available only to them.

HTH,

Chris
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/03/2003 8:50 PM
Cool, that's what I need.
Do you know how to do it or do you want some help?
Posted By: PhotoPost Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/04/2003 12:15 AM
Looks good; I am considering this for our site. $100 for a year seems reasonable, too. Maybe I can get some of our users to cough up some $$$. lol
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/04/2003 7:10 AM
I will let you know, looking at all the options so far but this one does look good. Is there a hack for this that will display on the forums how many people are in chat? I could have sworn I saw something like that here but can't find anything.
Posted By: Mudpuppy Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/04/2003 9:09 AM
Here's the link you're looking for:

https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I use this chat on my site and it works quite well. Registered users from my Threads board are automatically logged into the chatroom, and an indicator on the message board records how many users are currently chatting. In addition, I've got a "banned from chatroom" user group so I can ban naughty people from chat without banning them completely from the message board. I don't think the "Banned from Chatroom usergroup" mod is posted here, but when Josh comes back I'm sure he'll happily write it up.
Posted By: smilesforu Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/04/2003 10:58 AM
Sorry Chris brain fart... this is what your passing in this example.
I like the idea of the banning of somebody from chat with the board database.
No worries, Marty. Got me wondering, though!
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/15/2003 8:43 PM
[]You could easily create UBB.threads groups and have the chat link available only to them.
[/]
My problem currently is that Members are giving the password out to non-members so even if I were to hide the link to chat so only Members could access it, Members could still give out the URL to no-members so I would like chat access to be by group like the forums are: You are a Member you get access if not you don't, no way around it, can this be done?
Yes, absolutely... first in the RaiderSoft control panel you want to be sure to specify the referrer URL, so that the chat app will only load if it was accessed from that location.

While you are there set the custom authentication script URL.

Then upload the custom authentication script (the attached file in this thread). In your page that loads the chat applet just specify the params above and you got it.

The way I do it is with a link to rchat.php, which verifies that the user is a valid user, and if so it gives them the rchat.tmpl file which has the applet code embedded in it.

Let me know if that helps. I can send you the files if you'd like.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/15/2003 9:19 PM
Cool, I am going to purchase raidersoft right now, it is cheaper than what I am using anyway.
Good deal. Let me know if you need help with getting this all set up.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 5:02 PM
In order for this to work does the link to the chatroom have to come from the forums?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 5:09 PM
[]coy7 said:
Here's the link you're looking for:

https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I use this chat on my site and it works quite well. Registered users from my Threads board are automatically logged into the chatroom, and an indicator on the message board records how many users are currently chatting. In addition, I've got a "banned from chatroom" user group so I can ban naughty people from chat without banning them completely from the message board. I don't think the "Banned from Chatroom usergroup" mod is posted here, but when Josh comes back I'm sure he'll happily write it up. [/]

I didn't see this while I was gone. Yeah, the Raidersoft is fully integrated in a threads page. When they visit, it logs them in using their forum username.

If she wants to Ban someone from chat, she simply adds them to the "chat banned" group in threads. Then on the chat page, Below the authenticate function, I used a simple step that checks if they are part of the "banned" group and intercept them if they are.

The "kiddies" on her side did just discover a bit of a loophole where they could still sign in if they opened a new window within chat. I added a step that stopped the chat page from reloading if the online table already showed them in "chat". And also disabled the "float" function of Riadersoft.

The group thing could easily be adapted to only allow certain groups into chat.... everyone else gets a page that they are not authorized to use chat.

Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 5:24 PM
[]The group thing could easily be adapted to only allow certain groups into chat.... everyone else gets a page that they are not authorized to use chat.
[/]

Do tell
Not sure which part you mean... if you want to keep people from being able to access your chat room outside of your site, then yes, you need to have a link on your site that goes to some page that will load the applet. Then in your RaiderSoft control panel you specify the URL of the page at the end of your link as the ONLY access point.

Does that answer your question?
Basically create a group called "Chatters" or whatever, and then assign who is a part of it.

Then when a user goes to the rchat.php page, you just check to see if they are a member of that group. If not, give them the access denied page.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 5:40 PM
OK - Use that Mod Coy pointed you to.

Then find out the group number that you want to allow into chat. Do the SQL Query:
SELECT *
FROM w3t_Groups

if you don't already know the group number. For this example, I'll use group #5. We'll also Allow Admins & Mods in.

Then below the authenticate function..... do this:

Code
<br />if ((!strstr($user['U_Groups'], '-5-')) || (!$user['U_Status'] == "Administrator") ||(!$user['U_Status'] == "Moderator")) {<br />     $html = new html;<br />     $html = not_right('You are not Authorized to Use Chat',$Cat);<br />}<br />

That should do the trick.
Thanks for "whippin' that out", Josh!
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 5:58 PM
[]Then below the authenticate function..... do this: [/]
OK, I'm a dummy, where is the authenticate function?
In the rchat.php script.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 6:15 PM
Yeah, should be near the top.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 6:27 PM
Right under this?

// Block if Not Logged in
if (!$Username) {
$html = new html;
$html -> not_right('You must <a href="login.php">Login</a> or <a href="newuser.php">Register a Username</a> To use the Chatroom.',$Cat);
}
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 6:39 PM
Yeah, that would work.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 7:23 PM
OK, guys, what am I doing wrong? I uploaded the scripts and such but it doesn't load my username?
My chat room
Look at the top of this thread... you are missing the params to the applet.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 7:29 PM
Are you talking about this?

Then if you pass the following params to your chat applet:

Where do I put this?
Yes... it goes in the applet tag with all of the other Param tags.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 7:40 PM
Sorry, I am kind of new to this , where is the applet tag?
Sorry... In your rchat.php file search for "<applet"

That is the beginning of the applet tag. You will see a bunch of other PARAM tags within it. Just add those three to the end of the list, before the </applet>.

That should do you up. If you can't get it from that I will look at your site and paste the right code here. Just let me know.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 7:59 PM
Are we looking at the same file, there is no "<applet" in rchat.php?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 8:01 PM
It'll be in rchat.tmpl
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 8:14 PM
Ahh, OK, I put them in coloradok5.com/forums/templates/default/rchat.tmpl

what else do I need besides a beer to get this working?
Yeah... sorry... had my boss in here and was not thinking clearly!
I am still not seeing the params added to your applet tag... did you upload it?

Do that and try it, then we will move forward as necessary.
Hey Steve, are you on ICQ?
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 8:31 PM
Yeah, they are there, no ICQ.
I am still not seeing the params in the applet... In your rchat.tmpl file you should have:

[code]
<applet
codebase="http://client.sigmachat.com/current/"
code="Client.class" archive="scclient_en.zip"
width=600 height=350>
<param name="room" value="38360">
<param name="cabbase" value="scclient_en.cab">
</applet>

Your rchat.php file should be populating the $Username and $Password variables.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 9:06 PM
Yep, that is what I have, the rchat.tmpl file is under templates/default
Ok... give me the link to your chat room again, using the rchat.php file.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/16/2003 9:17 PM
http://coloradok5.com/chat.shtml
That link is a complete html page, right? Where are you calling rchat.php?

You need a link that calls rchat.php, so it can do its work, and it will load in your rchat.tmpl file for you, which will show the chat applet.

The html file is not using either of those is it?
Took that offline, and got it solved... just a minor problem in the rchat.php file.
Posted By: coloradok5 Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/17/2003 12:42 AM
Thanks again works saaweet.
My pleasure!
Posted By: Mudpuppy Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/21/2003 7:47 PM
I'm using RaiderSoft chat integrated with Threads. In the chatroom, you can query another users IP (which is helpful for chatroom moderators if someone is causing trouble).

This morning I had a user write to me about people using chat on a broadband connection, and how they were vulnerable to backdoor programs, trojans, and something called "ants" (which I've never heard of), if an unscupulous person goes into chat and finds out a users IP. She insists that the only people vulnerable are broadband users who are in chat, and that firewalls won't help.

I have no idea what she's talking about. As my board is heavily moderated and chat is by "invitation only", I'm not worried about trouble. However, I'm afraid this user is going to start spreading rumours about the chatroom being unsafe.

Can anyone explain to me what she's talking about, if it's true, and what I can do about it?
Posted By: smilesforu Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/22/2003 4:55 AM
I see RaiderSoft sent out a upgrade notice for our Chats... whos online feature!! It appears to be a pay per use deal and can really add up for those of us with lots of hits.
I saw that too, Marty, but Josh has written a mod to do exactly this, and I have a couple of tweaks to it... you may want to check it out.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/22/2003 10:45 PM
Yeah, it's probably better (and free) to use the who's online feature of threads.
Josh, did I ever send those over to you???
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/22/2003 11:10 PM
I dont' think so.

I've been using my popup chat window.

If you've got something different/better, feel free to post. I won't be offended. It's a very popular request.. all this chat integration /chat who's online.
Sorry, Josh... got my threads crossed. That comment was in relation to the Birthday Cron stuff...
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 04/22/2003 11:18 PM
Yes, you sent me that.... and the applied fixes worked. I reposted. Thank you.
Posted By: smilesforu Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 05/09/2003 10:03 AM
Did anybody write up the chat ban script? Josh ? So I can single out single users. Everybody else is allowed except a few? I can make the user group just don't want to add everybody. Will look some more but didn't see it.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: RaiderSoft Chat authentication script - 05/11/2003 7:59 PM
OK - create a user group - let's say it's group number 7. (You can find out with 'SELECT * FROM w3t_Groups' query).

Add U_Groups into the authenticate call at the top of the chat script.

Below that add:

$Groups = $user['U_Groups'];

Then add this:

// Block if Banned from Chat
if (preg_match("/-7-/",$Groups)) { // adjust this group number if needed
$html = new html;
$html -> not_right('You are banned from the Chatroom.',$Cat);
}
© UBB.Developers