UBB.Dev
I am running 6.2.1 threads with a ton of mods wink Roughly 80,000 members last I checked. We may have expired since. We've been open for 9 years (using your software most of that time.)

We have a problem I'm sure many big, well-known boards have: we have banned trolls who return (sometimes for YEARS) by changing proxies or IPs, some using those Randomizer sites.

I don't know a lot about web dev or servers, but my admin does (M3gabyt3 is also a member here.) Is there ANYTHING we can do? I read about some Israeli software called Aladin, but from what I could understand, it forces the user to stay on the site.

We're a reality TV site - we point to articles ALL the time. So that option would seem to be out unless there's a way to configure Aladin to let users leave. (I have a feeling there isn't; that's probably why/how the app works, in part.)

We have MANY banned users who come right back with a new nick and IP. I understand there are lists of bogus ips out there - probably comparing them to our banned offenders might help, but how to execute that?

We also have a fairly serious spam issue, but M3 has been fighting that with some success. The issues are so similar you'd think there'd be a fix for both, but I can't find a fix for EITHER.

Sure would love those banned turkeys gone for good, as well as that damn spam.

Anyone have any ideas about either?

We do use CAPTCHA (or whatever it is lol) for registration, but from my research tonight, spammers can get around it these days.

What to do, what to do?

And thank you so very much for any answers/possible solutions.

Are you using the Stop Forum Spam mod located here: Stop Forum Spam

If not I would try using that mod then see how things go. If so then the best I can suggest is see about question and answer method. Captcha and reCaptcha are great but once they find a means around it then you have to kick it up a notch.
v6 threads is an entirely different codebase (and isn't really supported anymore); and the Stop Forum Spam mod wouldn't work on it; I'm not sure what all mods they had for Threads6 as far as captcha/challenge goes though...

I wouldn't mind seeing reCaptcha for Threads7 though wink
© UBB.Developers