UBB.Dev
Posted By: The Team Everyone has same IP address - 11/06/1999 8:19 PM
Yuck. Why would this happen? I'm running wwwthreads on Linux using Xitami server. I just looked at the user database, and everyone registered to wwwthreads from the same IP address. Why would this happen? Also, a lot of my e-mailed passwords are bouncing back (mostly from aol, although I can e-mail them directly just fine.) Any ideas?

Posted By: The Team Re: Everyone has same IP address - 11/08/1999 3:06 PM
Sounds like a proxy server issue. The possibilities I can see are:

- All of your users really *are* from the same IP address, like AOL users behind a giant proxy server... how many users do you have?
- Your system has an incoming proxy or firewall somewhere?

IP addresses are not guaranteed to be unique to users, in any case.

--
Steve Linberg
Systems Programmer &c, National Center on Adult Literacy
Posted By: The Team Re: Everyone has same IP address - 11/08/1999 6:17 PM
Well, so far I have 93 users. About a quarter of them are from AOL. I fixed the first problem, where the AOL users weren't getting my e-mail. I forgot to set up my ISP as the host to route through, and I guess the messages were being sent directly from my computer, and AOL was bouncing the messages because it couldn't resolve the host.

I don't have a proxy or firewall set up on my computer, but when you mentioned that, I realized I have IP masquerading set up so I can use the internet from my Win98 machine too. (Why waste it?) So you are right. That is probably acting like a proxy server and assigning everyone the same IP address. Thank you for your reply, and I will try and get this straightened out. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Posted By: The Team Re: Everyone has same IP address - 11/30/1999 10:22 PM
i didn't change anything, and about two weeks later, the ip addresses started working properly. strange, huh?

Posted By: The Team Re: Everyone has same IP address - 03/01/2000 4:00 AM
I run IP Masq at home on the 2.2 Kernel as well. It has nothing to do with with the gathering of IP addresses. You should write a little CGI script to see if $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'} is reporting correctly.

© UBB.Developers