UBB.Dev
Posted By: Carl36 htaccess and htpasswd - 07/08/2003 4:15 PM
Not exactly linux specific but I was wondering if anyone knows of a scripts that would allow users to select their own username and password for htaccess? This way I could just give users a link through Email or something and they could do this themselves?
It's not a huge deal, I'm just lazy LOL and it gets to be alot setting up X amount of users for htaccess.

Thanks.
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/09/2003 7:47 PM
This is self defeating. .htaccess/.htpassword is meant to restrict/grant access to areas/files. If someone comes across the link and it allows them to enter their user ID and password why then bother protecting it???
Posted By: AKD96 Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/09/2003 10:39 PM
Posted By: navaho Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/09/2003 10:59 PM
please enter your username and password so that you can enter your user name and password.

Hmm, imagine all the time you'll spend answering email explaining that?
Posted By: Carl36 Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/10/2003 12:26 AM
Ok maybe I should have explained my self a bit better. Say you have a site that is private and people have to register and pay to gain access.
Is there a way for them to select their own username and password during the sign up / payment process? without you having to do it manually after they register. This way, you wouldn't have to worry about the security issues because they'd be paying you for access.
If this makes anymore sense?
Posted By: Dave_L_dup1 Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/10/2003 1:03 AM
The only hard part would be generating the password. Apache uses an obscure algorithm for doing that, and I haven't come across any clear documentation on the algorithm.

This osCommerce addon might be adapted for this purpose. I had planned to examine it sometime.
Posted By: Gardener Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/24/2003 4:54 PM
I think I have a perl script somewhere that does this, if you want I can try to locate it and see if it can be changed into php.
Posted By: Dave_L_dup1 Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 07/24/2003 6:50 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the script, regardless of whether it's Perl or PHP.
Posted By: Gardener Re: htaccess and htpasswd - 08/04/2003 3:36 AM
I had a power outage at home so I can't reach my computer until I go back home, which will be another week or two. You'll have to remind me to look for it then.
© UBB.Developers