UBB.Dev
Posted By: JustDave Is there? - 08/16/2003 7:22 PM
Something that displayes what the modem is connected at that can be displayed in the system tray?

Better looking fonts, even if I have to purchase them I would be happy.

An equivilant of Secure CRT for windows on Linux?

LoL I know these may be some strange questions but making a complete dive into Linux from windows really accents the differences.

Thanks for any info on these.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Is there? - 08/18/2003 6:57 AM
Dunno about the modem tray thing... depends on which window manager you're using.

Fonts... copy'em over from your local Windows partition. %)

For SSH... Open a terminal window and use ssh! Silly you.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Is there? - 08/19/2003 2:06 AM
Blah... need point and click! LoL

The windows fonts will work across? Cool. Didn't know that. Thanks.

I have to activate my ppp0 (wish it was just called a modem) connection and then I can use it. In windows I open the browser or email and the connection is automatic. Can this be done with in redhat? *sigh* Perhaps another 12 months down the road things will be even more user friendly on linux or I'll be able to afford a Mac. (but will probably opt for two PC's instead) LoL
Posted By: omegatron Re: Is there? - 08/19/2003 10:16 PM
I hear ya on Linux. After hearing how many people run dual boot I went and tried it. You know I like it but there are downfalls.

One I never got my email listed imported from Outlook. Mozilla in Linux makes my fonts on the browser smaller than they usually are.

Biggest is I have yet to be able to access my home network with Redhat 9.0 and the documentation is lacking to say the least.
Posted By: navaho Re: Is there? - 08/20/2003 2:42 AM
Piece o cake, Chuck.

Well, maybe.

The default installation of RedHat 9 did not detect or setup my NIC card. It's a 3com 3c905b-tx. They made millions of the things. I have almost a dozen of them sitting around my place. Getting all that going wasn't a piece of cake, but I can reproduce what I did easily.

So, let's figure out if you're even detecting the card. That's the first start.

when it starts up watch it scroll through all that text. Look to see if your card is recognized and the kernel drivers loaded. If it scrolls too fast then more (or cat or less) the /var/log/dmesg file. That is all the bootup text, output to file. Let's see if the kernel detects the card and hopefully loads the drivers for it.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Is there? - 08/20/2003 3:19 AM
[]Omegatron said:
One I never got my email listed imported from Outlook. Mozilla in Linux makes my fonts on the browser smaller than they usually are. [/]

In windows I used Mozilla to import from Outlook. That went really well. Then in Redhat I just copied the .msf files into the proper location for my mozilla install and yay. It worked.
Posted By: omegatron Re: Is there? - 08/22/2003 11:58 AM
Cool Dave I never thought of that. I will do that.

Nav will check and get back to you on that.
Posted By: Charles Re: Is there? - 08/22/2003 5:22 PM
I stopped using pop3 and have all my emails in emap accounts this way no matter which os or computer I might be using
Posted By: Dave_L_dup1 Re: Is there? - 08/22/2003 10:26 PM
emap

Do you mean IMAP?
Posted By: navaho Re: Is there? - 08/22/2003 10:33 PM
I was going to say that, but since I type as well as I do........
Posted By: Charles Re: Is there? - 08/24/2003 10:50 PM
yes Imap sorry
© UBB.Developers