UBB.Dev
Hi guys, maybe somebody can help.

We decided to move our existing UBBT forum to a dedicated new server.
Our current server is a shared Windows Server, the new dedicated Server uses Linux (Suse or Red Hat, I don't remember).
Now here's the problem, we can't make the "old" SQL database work with the new Linux server because we always get some weird error messages.

Is there any incompatibility problem between a Windows Server SQL database and a Linux server SQL database? And if yes, is there any "easy" solution to fix this problem.

We're quite desperate because our forum has over 3500 Users and a lot of posts and we don't want to loose that.

Thanks for your help.
No, mysql databases on windows and linux are compatibel.
What kind of errors do you get?
Windows MySQL is NOT case sensitive (Table names etc.) where Linux MySQL IS, the solution is to edit the names of the tables (after import) so they reflect the correct name and threads won't hickup then...
[]Pappy said:
Windows MySQL is NOT case sensitive (Table names etc.) where Linux MySQL IS, the solution is to edit the names of the tables (after import) so they reflect the correct name and threads won't hickup then... [/]

I'm a completely newbie regardig this stuff and our system admin knows only Windows. Could you explain this a little bit more detailled? What do I have exactly to do? I'm using phpmyadmin. Thanks a lot!
Probably the easiest way is to have your system admin create a test forum and then rename your real forum db tables and field names to the names that show up in the test forum. I should add that this was the case for me after doing an export a couple years ago of a database and may not be the case in your situtation but it should be fairly easy to look at and find out if that is causing your errors. It also may be of help if you post the actual errors that you have. I did an import from a windows box to a linux box a couple years ago and the name errors were the only problems that I had.
This will probably help too:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=library&Number=70437

Thanks a lot, guys. It worked but I still have problems because some content of the old database seems to have disappeared (for example only posts before 2003 are visible). I think the SQL Dump I had is corrupted, so maybe this doesn't have anything to do with UBBT or the server.

Thanks again!
Make sure when you did the dump that it didn't time out. Check the end of the dump file for any "time out" messages.
[]JoshPet said:
Make sure when you did the dump that it didn't time out. Check the end of the dump file for any "time out" messages. [/]

Thanks Josh. Right, the database wasn't complete. We moved to a new server and I was able to move the whole database to the new server without losing any content. It works perfect. Well, just a few bugs...but nothing has to do with the database migration.
© UBB.Developers