UBB.Dev
Posted By: jluerken Background picture - 01/24/2003 10:05 AM
Hi guys,

I want to give my navigation line a background image.
I've seen that I can change the color of this line with the stylesheets.

Is it also possible to use a background image and not only a color within these css?
Posted By: Dalantech Re: Background picture - 01/24/2003 10:30 AM

Posted By: ChAoS_dup1 Re: Background picture - 01/28/2003 5:36 AM
Does using images like that as opposed to using color codes have much of an effect on server performance?
Posted By: omegatron Re: Background picture - 01/28/2003 1:21 PM
You are loading a gif file but most of the sizes we are talking about have little effect.

Bandwidth is bandwidth so there is some. Something in the Millisecond range load difference unless the file is big and drags the server down.
Posted By: Dalantech Re: Background picture - 01/28/2003 1:31 PM
One way to keep the file size down is to just cut an image so that it is only a few lixels wide (I normally cut my at 10 pixels). Since it is a background image it will tile, filling up the space that it's in. You can see the effect on my site.

The only area where I don't use a small graphic slice is my logo. Due to it's placement withing the tables it looks better being a single solid graphic.
Posted By: ChAoS_dup1 Re: Background picture - 01/29/2003 11:57 PM
Thanks for the insight guys
Posted By: JustDave Re: Background picture - 01/30/2003 1:44 AM
As far as images go they will use the same amount of bandwidth no matter how their placed or used in the page. HTML color attributes will display instantly whereas images may be the last things loaded during the page creation. Depending on how you want things to drop into place when the page is being created you may want to opt for html colors.
© UBB.Developers