UBB.Dev
Posted By: JoshPet [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/21/2003 7:39 AM
Stylesheet: Cool Blue
Pleasing subtle blues, with a 3D flair.

Demo Here. It is also installed here at threadsdev to use if you wish.

Zip file attached.

Install instructions. Put the 2 image files into your /stylesheets/images directory. (If you don't have one, you might need to create the images directory inside stylesheets).

Attached File
73776-coolblue.zip  (91 downloads)
Posted By: AKD96 Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/21/2003 7:56 PM
First words out of my mouth when I saw it was, "Oooh, that's pretty!" Thanks for the great css Josh! I have it on my site now. Check it out!
Posted By: Nettomo Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/22/2003 12:49 AM
Cooooool

Nettomo
Posted By: msula Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/22/2003 10:50 PM
Awesome color scheme... I've been tweaking it, but have found some problems. I wanted ALL the blue colored links to be #3366CC. Which isn't a problem, except some links for some reason do not get changed and are the default blue you see on every webpage:

[]http://zen.nailed.org/coolblue.gif[/]

See where the arrows are? That is the default blue (#0000FF). But for every link attribute in the CSS I specified it to be #3366CC

Notice visited links display the correct color.. in the image above notice the "Post" and "Next" buttons, that is the color I want all links to be. I can't figure it out
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/22/2003 11:05 PM
Hmmm Not sure why that would be.

Did you get the visited link styles too.

There are several link attributes in there, beyond what's a the very top.

I'd double check... do a search for the a: attribute. Make sure you adjust all the a:link, a:visited etc... all the way throught he file.
Posted By: msula Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/22/2003 11:38 PM
I did, even through the ones at the bottom... I will double check again. Its strange though.. the links that haven't been visited are the wrong color, but as soon as you click on them, they work... I'll tripple check and report back
Posted By: msula Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/22/2003 11:45 PM
Nothing.. that's messed up

The only link attributes that were not altered are the ones for the header/menu bar, which are white, those don't need to be changed. But no idea why it is being set to default

Here is a copy of my CSS, you can see all of the a: sections are either #3366CC or left to white for the header/menu

Attached File
73936-coolblue.css  (19 downloads)
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/22/2003 11:52 PM
That's very odd indeed.

You might want to try to add:

.navigation a:link {
color: #3366CC;
background: none;
}
.navigation a:visited {
}
.navigation a:active {
}
.navigation a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
}

etc... for the various classes and see if that has any effect.
Posted By: msula Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/23/2003 12:04 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Its stupid crap like this that makes me want to pull my hair out

Thanks for the snippet you posted Josh, that fixed the buttons But I was adding similar code to other sections, like newlighttable and newdarktable and such... NOTHING.

I swear, stylesheets NEVER like me, and NEVER work for me correctly. I'm going to go curl up in the corner and cry now
Posted By: AKD96 Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/23/2003 1:03 AM
I'm using JCTemplates and have noticed that with some stylesheets my tables don't line up on ubbthreads as shown below.

[]http://www.drumlines.org/poofa.jpg[/]

Cool Blue is one CSS that causes this. I have tried commenting out several lines in the CSS file to try and find the culprit to no avail. Below you can see that with another stylesheet the tables lineup perfectly.

[]http://www.drumlines.org/oorah.jpg[/]

Cool Blue isn't the only CSS causing this; others do too. So don't think I'm bashing your awesome Cool Blue Josh.

Any one have any experience with this problem or have any ideas?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/23/2003 1:12 AM
What do you mean, the columns different widths?

Probably the font size. The last post column on the right is defined as "no wrap" so if the text is bigger, it'll push everything over.
Posted By: JustDave Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/23/2003 1:39 AM
JC's stylesheets specify widths for the columns being displayed. He has seperated the categories so that each is a table of it's own in the display. The unmodified forum index displays as one single table and therefore the columns always line up.

This isn't a problem with the stylesheets offered here. It's just that these stylesheets here were not created with JC's templates in mind. (and honestly I don't think they should be made with them in mind because not everyone is using JC's templates)

Edit Note: After looking at some of JC's stylesheets it seems he doesn't always specify the widths in the columns in question. I had ran into just one such case a while back on someone else's site. Pulled my hair out for a while wondering why the columns were not shrinking... lol
Posted By: AKD96 Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/23/2003 1:41 AM
That's exactly what I was talking about. I had to shrink the font down to 5 before it would even-out. Either that or just get rid of the sidebar. I opted instead to put a <br /> in between the last poster and the last post time.

[]http://www.drumlines.org/fixed.jpg[/]

Thanks again!
Posted By: msula Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 03/23/2003 2:04 AM
why isn't my blue working
Posted By: HRMan Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/02/2003 4:11 AM
Here's my variation on the cool blue theme - thanks for the ideas, Josh.

[]http://www.hrman.com/screenshot.jpg[/]

You can see the whole thing by going here:

hrman.com community
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/06/2003 4:43 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: JasonStixBuckley Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 12:49 AM
Hey Josh!

I am going to be using this for one of my sites. The problem I am having is that it is placing a 15 pixel white border at the top/bottom and 10 pixel white border on the left/right. I want to remove these, but since I am new to these things, I am not sure what I need to remove or edit.

Can you help?

Thanks!
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 1:51 AM
Hmmm.... this isn't a table wrapper mod. It's just a stylesheet. Cell Spacing and Cell padding would be defined in the theme file. Where are you seeing this border?
Posted By: JasonStixBuckley Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 2:41 AM
[]http://www.motorsportslounge.com/idir/newderror.gif[/]

I am not sure why it is doing this. The initial wrap coding of my header / footer is the same that I use currently using a color changed version of the frosted layout.
Posted By: JasonStixBuckley Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 2:42 AM
In fact, it does the same thing here at threads dev.

I have went ahead and made this live on my site.

http://www.motorsportslounge.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Got any ideas where I can axe that white border around the site (not the border around the forum template itself as that is part of my coding)?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 3:17 AM
Hmmmm.....

I don't see the border on my end. Looks like you are using a fixed width table wrapped around the whole thing. You really should change that in your theme file to 100%. No need to limit the width of your site to just 780 when people have much bigger monitors.

Looking at the body tag of the frosted stylesheet... it looks like it's been tweaked to include:

margin: 0px;
border: 0px;
padding: 0px;

You might try including that in the body tag of the sheet.
Posted By: JasonStixBuckley Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 3:29 AM
Josh, have I ever told you YOU ROCK?!?!?!

That was exactly it. I added that and it is all good.

As far as the size, the reason I do that is because of the spacing I have at the top of the site for the ad areas, logo, etc. I like everything being spaced out with 10 pixels as it gives a very clean look. With making it variable, it shifts that up there to where it doesnt look as clean.

Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 3:31 AM
Ah good. Glad it worked. Wasn't sure if you were talking about the blue or the little white space.

But when you said frosted, I took a look at the body tag in frosted for the clues.
Posted By: JasonStixBuckley Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 3:36 AM
Thanks man. I am a new UBBT user (as you know from posting over at IP). I am VERY new to using CSS and templates and such ... to say I am stupid when it comes to this stuff is an understatement.

I have been able to "get by" by limited knowledge, so your assistance here and over at IP is much appreciated.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 04/29/2003 3:47 AM
Thanks.
Posted By: jmydde Re: [6.2] Cool Blue - 05/02/2003 10:43 AM
o wow ! thanks for this (again!) Josh !

I've used those gorgeous blue gradients along with my current blue stylesheet and it looks soooooooo much better!!
© UBB.Developers