UBB.Dev
Posted By: WrÅith [6.0.x / 6.1.x] AutoQuote 2.0 - 06/23/2002 6:27 AM
Mod Name / Version: AutoQuote v2.0

Link: http://www.terranbbs.com/ubb/mods/6.0/AutoQuote.txt

Description: Allow your users to reply to a message while quoting someone. Lets the user just click on a link/icon and it will automatically put the tags around the body of the message that they want to quote.

Working under: UBB.threads v6.0 & 6.0.1

Pre-requisites: None

Author(s): WrÅith

Credits: AllenAyers, poil, and razvan for getting me started, and JustDave for helping me with the bug fixes.

Demo: http://www.terranbbs.com/testboard/ubbthreads.php (Username: test / Password: test)

Files Altered: newreply.php, newreply.tmpl, showflat.php, showflat.tmpl, showthreaded.php, showthreaded.tmpl, ubbt.inc.php, /language/english/generic.php

Database Altered: No

New Files: None

Additional Information: None
Posted By: Dalantech Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 07/01/2002 7:58 AM
I found some errors with the AutoQuote instructions. Since I couldn't post to this thread over the weekend due to database errors you can find the details here. Thanks!
Posted By: WrÅith Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 07/01/2002 5:05 PM
I've updated the instructions. The lines that you are looking for are located at lines 569 and 661 in an unmodified version of ubbt.inc.php.
Posted By: RichPA Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 07/10/2002 9:36 AM
I've installed this hack on my 6.0.2 forums and all seemd to be fine with it. It works fine in "flat" mode, I can "quote" a reply, but when I went to "threaded" mode, the word quote isn't a hyperlink like it is when in flat mode. the word quote shows up, the quote image shows up, but I can't click on quote to quote a reply. Any suggestions, I'm a relative "noob" with threads, but have used and hacked many a UBB Classic and Vbulletin forum on my site.
Posted By: WrÅith Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 07/10/2002 9:46 AM
Make sure you follow PART FIVE. Looks like you left out Step 2 which formats the image and the text into a link.
Posted By: RichPA Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 07/10/2002 7:58 PM
DOH! Now I know why I shouldn't answer the phone when in the middle of applying even a simple hack..... thanks for the reply....
Posted By: msula Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 08/29/2002 3:37 AM
any update on if this works with 6.1 beta? My users are complaining, they miss the quick quote feature.
Posted By: WrÅith Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 08/29/2002 8:08 AM
I'm waiting until the final version of 6.1 is released before I invest time in re-writing this. The only reason is, I've been screwed in the past when code was changed significantly from one beta version to the next and I don't want to have to rewrite this twice.

Yeah, I know, I'm lazy.
Posted By: Storm_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 08/29/2002 11:28 PM
It does work just fine with the beta....Running it over at http://stormchat.com/ubbthreads No problems at all yet.....

posted by msula:
any update on if this works with 6.1 beta? My users are complaining, they miss the quick quote feature.
Posted By: Aglavalin Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/14/2002 12:58 AM
Yeah this v2.0 works on the 6.1 beta. Don't use the v2.0.2 that is floating around these boards somewhere, as it does NOT work on 6.1
Posted By: WrÅith Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/14/2002 5:43 AM
[]Yeah this v2.0 works on the 6.1 beta. Don't use the v2.0.2 that is floating around these boards somewhere, as it does NOT work on 6.1

Glad to hear it works. I haven't had a chance to do any testing on v6.1. I plan on upgrading my testboard this weekend, however. I think I'm going to just install a clean version and then reapply the various hacks that I have installed. I think in the long-run it'll be easier that way.
Posted By: Aglavalin Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/14/2002 6:29 AM
That's what I've been doing for two days now. Got most of the hacks I use running fine on 6.1 except for the calendar hack, which I'm stuck on the upgrading of.
Posted By: Storm_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/14/2002 6:42 AM
Hey Wraith, Is there any way to limit the amount of quotes on one post?? I love autoquote but it got to be too much fun for the users playing an seeing how long a quote they could do. And also, when the quotes do get too long it's not wrapping the lines of the box and it causes folks to have to scroll right to see the entire post. Is there a way to handle that?? BTW, notice I said..... I love AutoQuote.....hehe
Posted By: Aglavalin Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/14/2002 7:37 AM
The autoQuote does place a <blockquote> tag in each time, so those could be counted and if a preset limit is already reached, don't let them quote again. Just shoot them an error instead.
Posted By: WrÅith Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/25/2002 9:15 PM
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond on this one. I've been away for a while. I think that it might be possible to count the number of <blockquote> tags; however, other codes also use the <blockquote> and it may give a false reading. What you really need is some sort of iterative counter, though how that would be implemented is a bit beyond me.

I haven't had a chance to upgrade to 6.1 yet. Hopefully I will have some time this evening to at least get my testboard up and running. I'll see what I can do and post any updates in the Beta forum.
Posted By: Storm_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/25/2002 11:48 PM
No problem Wraith...... Thanks!! I look forward to it!!
Posted By: Dalantech Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/28/2002 5:28 PM
I'm having a tough time getting the auto quote hack to work with 6.1 final. Part 7 3a does not exist in the ubbt.inc.php file (I'm using the original,unmodified file).

Thanks in advance to anyone who lends me a hand, my users really like this hack!
Posted By: msula Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/28/2002 10:49 PM
I have it working just fine on my 6.1 final. Hmm...
Posted By: Storm_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/29/2002 12:08 AM
Hey Msula....

I was lookin' around your site and couldn't find anywhere that people are using the autoquote more than once in thread / post. I tried it before at my site and the folks loved it. However, I had a problem with them using it over and over to play games so that posts were a full page long and causing people to have to scroll right..... Did you find a way around this problem or are the people there just more mature?
Posted By: msula Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/29/2002 1:44 AM
We had one thread where someone discovered the neat effect of the quote with a quote within a quote feature.. I let it go on to see the limits, and eventually deleted the thread and informed them not to do it again.

So far they have been behaved
Posted By: Storm_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/29/2002 1:46 AM
I reckon that's what I'll try this time....... Puttin' it back in 'cuz I miss it myself......
Posted By: Dalantech Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/29/2002 6:22 PM
I followed the directions and got html tags in the quote area of a reply, plus the ubbt.inc.php instructions didn't match the script in the ubbt.inc.php file.

I'll try it again later on today and see if there was anything that I missed (already tried it twice).
Posted By: Dalantech Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 09/29/2002 6:43 PM
Nevermind, I got it to work
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 10/01/2002 1:27 AM
Mind sharing any changes you may have made?
Posted By: Dalantech Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 10/01/2002 9:13 AM
I used another set of instructions that I had from Wraith. I'm not sure if they are different, and in the comments both have the same date, but it was the instructions that I used the first time I did the auto quote hack.

I also pulled the files I needed to hack out of the 6.1 zip so I had a "clean" copy to work with.

The ubbt.inc.php instructions still don't match up, but I replaced the two "quote markup" sections with text from the auto quote instructions.

I also did the editting in CuteHTML a little differently when I got the hack to work. I stopped using the built in find and replace and took a couple more steps. I might be seeing a bug in CuteHTML.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 10/02/2002 1:56 AM
Anyone else getting errors with polls and this?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 10/02/2002 6:06 AM
view this with a poll in threaded view
Posted By: Dalantech Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 10/02/2002 9:45 AM
I'm not seeing any errors with polls on my site and the auto quote seems to be stable.

I'm not using Bookie's Blam templates though, I'm "rolling my own"
Posted By: lurch_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 11/03/2002 10:07 PM
I like the quote, thanks for your efforts.

Here is some thing I have noticed.

If someone quotes a post that has a poll in in, the poll code is displayed, like this:

<FORM METHOD=POST ................</form>

I took everything out between the form tags to keep it short.

Maybe it would be best to strip polls out of quoted posts?
Posted By: lurch_dup1 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 11/04/2002 12:03 AM
I went ahead and changed newreply to strip out polls.

It took care of form code being displayed in quoted messages and the poll's no longer get send out in emails.
Posted By: Tonyk Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 11/12/2002 3:18 AM
Installed quotes and now when u hit quote button

you get this

{qoute=username}quoted text

new text

what is wrong?
Posted By: BryanDS Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 01/06/2003 9:51 PM
Heres a better question...

Can someone figure out how to get back "quoted by username" in 6.2?

It doesnt do that anymore and is quite annoying because you have to scroll back up to find the quote.. and in a 100 + reply message.. it can get tedious.

(PS: 6.2 is great, just small things, ya know )
Posted By: Lucis0327 Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 01/10/2003 1:00 AM
[]Heres a better question...

Can someone figure out how to get back "quoted by username" in 6.2?
[/]

See In Reply To fix for 6.2

Marc
Posted By: JoshPet Re: AutoQuote 2.0 - 01/10/2003 5:44 AM
Here is how to add the "Username said:" to your quote function.

Here is how to restore the [Re: Username] in showflat mode.
© UBB.Developers