UBB.Dev
Posted By: Gardener Borderless templates - 06/23/2002 3:06 AM
I've just a template collection where all tablesurround-borders are removed. Since all these tables are in the templates and are set to a value of one on both cellspacing and cellpadding I haven't been able to remove them without changing all templates. If anyone has any other suggestion I'd be glad to hear of them.

Anyways, I've done a search and replace in all templates to remove the tablesurround class attribute as well as setting cellpadding and cellspacing to 0 in those tables. I also had to change the open_table function in ubbt.inc.php as well as a place in newuser.php.

If anyone is interested in having these templates just let me know and I'll upload them. See attached image for an example from the postlist page.

Attached picture 50904-borderless_templates.png
Posted By: MTO Re: Borderless templates - 06/23/2002 2:44 PM
Im almost 95% certain that borderwidth and all that can be controlled through cascading style sheets. So if the current templates are specifying all that, hardcoded into every table, it would probably be best to remove it and let us control it through CSS. Changing the CSS would control tables in all templates without the need for changing every single template.
Posted By: Gardener Re: Borderless templates - 06/23/2002 2:58 PM
Yeah there are options for changing border-widths and other things but if they are set in the html it doesn't work with any of the values I tried, and I tried everything that looked to be remotely like it could change those values.

Didn't think of letting the class be and not setting the cellspacing and cellpadding though, then it would probably work with the css.

It works now at least, I'll leave it at that for now. =]
Posted By: MTO Re: Borderless templates - 06/23/2002 5:01 PM
Yeah, if its specified in the html code then takes prefference over the css.
The thing I suggest is to have the templates without it being specified in the html code. That way anyone can easily make it the way he likes it, only changing one file (the *.css)
Posted By: Gardener Re: Borderless templates - 06/23/2002 5:06 PM
Yeah, I'd like that as well and I could change my templates into that if someone wants, now that I've fixed some things it'll only be one simple search and replace.

But won't old browsers not show the borders correctly if this is done? I don't think Netscape 4.x supports those css values. But I'm not sure.
Posted By: Dalantech Re: Borderless templates - 07/19/2002 7:53 AM
One of the best resources I've found for CSS:

The complete CSS guide

Doing things with CSS makes making changes later a lot easier, but you'll pull your hair out trying to design a page using CSS if you don't know what is and isn't supported...
Posted By: Gardener Re: Borderless templates - 07/19/2002 9:10 AM
Thanks, I'll have a look at that page.
© UBB.Developers