UBB.Dev
Posted By: The Team Private Smilie DB Hack - 05/04/2000 10:07 PM
Quick and painless. We needed a way to have a "private" DB of smilies -- codes that only moderators and admins know but don't show up on the Smilie listing... it's dirty but it works. Could be a starting ground for someone else to take over, I don't have the time to...

http://www.ballbusters.net/stuff/PrivateSmilieDB-Hack.txt
Posted By: AJK Re: Private Smilie DB Hack - 05/05/2000 1:41 AM
I may be missing the point, but isn't this just the same as adding them to SmilieDB.cgi, and not putting them in smilies.html?
Posted By: SNA Re: Private Smilie DB Hack - 05/05/2000 5:28 PM
All someone has to do is edit the post and see what the key strokes were.

------------------
Jason [AW3CPID: SNA]
Posted By: The Team Re: Private Smilie DB Hack - 05/05/2000 6:02 PM
We're not using the smilies.html, we're using the auto-generated smilies hack... so that takes care of that...

And as far as the users editing the posts to see the code? Honestly, my users are UBB-challenged... hell, they're just plain stupid sometimes... they would never imagine how to do such a thing...

There is a way to get around that, however... the two routines that handle smiliecode -> smiliepic parsing can he further hacked to hide any codes when a user is editing a message... but, like I said, my users wouldn't even think about it...

I figured I'd share the hack regardless of if it's a practical one or not... works for my purpose, so there it is. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bring In The Geek Re: Private Smilie DB Hack - 05/05/2000 6:38 PM
Well, I think it is VERY cool. I have listed it on my list of hacks on my site.

BTW, could you not just do an if-then statement in the hack to look for the user's account and if he/she is not an admin or moderator then the smilie would not display.
Posted By: Slasher Re: Private Smilie DB Hack - 05/06/2000 1:08 AM
Well, this hack might be very usefull, good work [Linked Image]
© UBB.Developers