UBB.Dev
Posted By: lUiGinO Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/01/2002 4:16 AM
Without any warning, all of the sticky threads in many forums of my web site got down. When I opened the messages, they appear like they are up (i.e. they show the "get down" icon), but if you try to send the threads up again, it doesn't works. No error messages found, but that day the hard disk in my server got out of space. That was fixed, but sticky threads doesn't works yet.

I'm using UBB 5.45c.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/01/2002 8:40 AM
Very confusing explanation. But let me get this straight, when you bump/stick they don't go to the top?
Posted By: lUiGinO Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/01/2002 2:18 PM
Yes, the threads don't go to the top, and the threads in the top got down by themselves (ie no moderator or administrator sent them down).

This happened one day simultanely in most (but not all) of the forums in my site.

Excuse me... my english is bad.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/01/2002 2:29 PM
Check the hacking of forumdisplay.cgi
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/02/2002 12:58 AM
If you ran out of server space then this is not good, it has happened to me before and it can mess things up quite a bit. Any files that are open at the time will get wiped a 0 bytes written to them. So member files, config files etc.. that were open at the time that the server ran out of space, cant be written to, so they are saved as 0 byte files.

I suggest reload from a backup if you have one. Or search your site, for 0 byte files, and see what they belong to. Then you may have to recreate/reload them.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/02/2002 8:50 AM
But if he's board and posting is working fine now doesn't that mean the files aren't 0 bytes?
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/05/2002 1:37 AM
Good point! But its just something he should check to aid in working out a solution to his problem.
Posted By: p2kewl Re: Another problem with Sticky threads - 08/27/2002 4:22 PM
Hi lUiGinO, its me P2kewl4u. This is a bug in the code for it happens to me as well. After what seems to be 2 months to the day you made the topic stick, they end up going back down in the thread list. When you open those particular messages, it will show that they're still "topped".

You have to un-top them, then re-top 'em.

Rebuilding your forum data also has an effect on sticky threads it would seem. I have never looked at the code as it isn't a big deal but I suppose I can see where it gets annoying if you're message traffic is very large.

If you're constantly updating message threads or rebuilding your data (every day as you mentioned), this would cause the threads to unstick. The sticky fools UBB into thinking it's a new message but as far as I can recall, only modifies the lastforum.cgi and not the HTML and #####.cgi date within the particular forum. So when you rebuild your HTML data and forum data, it rebuilds it with the HTML and #####.cgi files associated with each post. Since the sticky thread code does not modify those files, your end result is a rebuilt forum with no sticky threads.

Thankfully we have Lord Dexter pointing you in the right direction.

quote:
Check the hacking of forumdisplay.cgi
May as well have said the sky is blue.

Hope that helps lUiGinO.

-p2kewl4u
© UBB.Developers