UBB.Dev
Posted By: Klyspoogan 5.46 Help - 10/29/2003 10:08 PM
Hi guys, I am fairly new to the UBB scene and have done a lot of reading on this site. My question is, the General Settings tab on the board I have isnt working. when I click on it, it gives me an internal server error saying page not found. is there a way I can restore the General Settings or replace it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, not sure if the Show Signature option is in the general settings since I cannot access it, but is there a way in 5.46 to make the Show Signature always on?

Kly
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: 5.46 Help - 10/29/2003 11:50 PM
What's the URL to your board, please?
Posted By: Klyspoogan Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 12:02 AM
longhornfanzone.com
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 12:27 AM
you sent me an email?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 12:30 AM
Here I was about to begin flaming you to a crisp for a new install of a 3+ year old version, when it looks like the board really has been around that long... Oops. smile

Take a peek in the server error log - it might provide more information about the 500 error that you get in the control panel.

Twiddling the signature checkbox shouldn't be too hard... IIRC, all the new topic/reply form HTML is in postings.cgi - finding all the checkboxes inside should be easy. The signature ones should be plainly marked (as name="Signature", probably).

You should really, really consider moving from the 5-series to the 6-series, or perhaps to UBB.threads. That's three year old code that you're running. There are many known security and stability issues that you certainly don't want to get bitten by.
Posted By: Deb Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 12:37 AM
Also, please check your PMs. smile
Posted By: Klyspoogan Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 1:35 AM
Capps, thanks for the info and thank you Deb. I am taking over that board for a buddy. He has less of a clue than I do about this stuff. The guy who set everything up really messed things up so I am trying to learn as I go along. As you can see I am in my first couple of days smile

Also, if we do an upgrade and purchase the 6.6 version, I was told that I need to upgrade to 5.47e first, then to 6.6, is that correct? Will the board look identical? We were hoping we could maintain the same rustic look. It's a Texas thing wink
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 1:53 AM
it can look very similar, if not identical. let me know if you need assistance when ready to upgrade, the number of improvements will make your users very happy smile
Posted By: Klyspoogan Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 2:05 AM
Capps, thanks for the suggestion. I found two postings.cgi. one in the cgi-bin and one in the cgi-binubbcgi. The beginning of the ubbcgi has a redirect to #!/usr/bin/perl. when I did a search for signature on there, it brought me thru a lot of code, but i couldnt locate where I would need to change the info
Posted By: Klyspoogan Re: 5.46 Help - 10/30/2003 2:16 AM
Ok, the cgi-bin is the one that is working, not the ubbcgi
© UBB.Developers