UBB.Dev
Posted By: brihan Redirect after change of profile. - 02/10/2004 4:29 AM
Hi,

I had tried the login.cgi mod on my 5.45c board and it worked OK but it really messed up the "New Message" icons. My members couldn't tell what they had already read.

I want to try going about this in a slightly different way that will help me with a second problem which is having members keep their e-mail address up to date.

What I want to do is have them log into the board through the "Profile".
http://inspectionnews.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ubbmisc.cgi?action=editbio

This way it will set their cookie (that takes care of one problem) and they will have to review their profile and hopefully will keep it up to date (that take care of the second problem.

Now here is my question/request for help.

After they click the "Submit" button in the profile I would like to redirect them directly to the forum summary page
http://inspectionnews.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true
rather than the current page which confirms the update and gives them a choice of where to go. This will remove one step/page to get on to the board. This is important because I am already making them jump through a hoop.

If you know how to handle this redirect please let me know.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

And before the question is asked, I have not updated because I have many hacks on the board and it works very well for me.

Thank you,

Brian
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Redirect after change of profile. - 02/10/2004 6:16 AM
You really, really need to upgrade. 5.45c is over four years old, and many stability and security improvements have been made since then, not to mention features. Most of the things that you've hacked in (at first glance) are stock features now...

There have been a grand total of seven active topics in this forum in the past year. The 5-series is dead. It's REALLY time to move on. smile

Now, as to address your problem....

It's a tough one. The cookies are set using javascript in the 5-series, so setting the login cookie during a redirect isn't gonna be too easy.

My first thought is using another actual Javascript to redirect the profile edit confirmation screen to Ultimate.cgi... though they'd still see the confirmation page for a bit.

Oh, and if this really is their first login, you'll want them to redirect to Ultimate.cgi, without the BypassCookie bit. BypassCookie ensures that their new post indicators aren't updated...
© UBB.Developers