UBB.Dev
Posted By: Maze Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration v1.1 - 07/28/2003 9:22 PM
Mod Name / Version: User Friendly Registration v1.1

Description: Several new users of my board were really angry about the registration page. There are more than a dozen ways to get an error displayed on a seperate page. If you use the browsers "back"-button, sometimes all of the input is gone and you have to retype Loginname, Displayname and eMail again.

This can happen several times until success:
- if the "I Agree" box is not checked
- if the eMail address is not valid
- if the Login Name is occupied
- if the Display Name is occupied
etc...

Not really user friendly.

This hack does the following:
- it displays the error messages on the "New user" page
- it highlights the corresponding field
- in case of an error, it keeps the values of several input fields

This hack does NOT support:
- error messages of the "age checking" stuff

Included are the strings for English, Spanish and German language files.

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.3
Find the update for UBB.Threads 6.4 here: Beta-[6.4] User Friendly Registration v1.2

Mod Status: Beta

Any pre-requisites: none

Author(s): Maze

Date: 07/28/03

Credits: to my angry users ;-)

Files Altered: adduser.php, newuser.php, /templates/default/newuser_signup.tmpl, /languages/XXX/adduser.php, /stylesheets/*.css

New Files: NO

Database Altered: NO

Info/Instructions:

Example1:

[]http://www.bikefreaks.de/images/forum/extern/ubbt_hack_screen1.png[/]

Example 2:

[]http://www.bikefreaks.de/images/forum/extern/ubbt_hack_screen2.png[/]

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.

Attached File
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/28/2003 9:57 PM
Cool Hack. Looks great.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/28/2003 10:44 PM
Nice, original hack!
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/28/2003 11:05 PM
Although, I just gave it an install, and it seems to just loop users without any explanation as to why.
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/28/2003 11:38 PM
Must be infopop getting you for selling those 7.0 screenshots.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/28/2003 11:57 PM
Dang it!
Posted By: Zackary Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 1:46 AM
This is a good idea. Nicely done.

Will take a look at it.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 2:34 AM
Wow - excellent!
Posted By: Stefan_dup1 Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 3:01 AM
Congrats - nice one
Posted By: Maze Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 10:51 AM
[]Although, I just gave it an install, and it seems to just loop users without any explanation as to why.[/]
Anyone else having problems getting this installed? Hope I didn't forget something in the instructions.
Posted By: deltajo Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 7:26 PM
Great hack idea! But.....

It didn't do anything special when I didn't tick the "Accept Rules" box.

I cleared my cookies then tried again, leaving out a password field, and it asked me to verify my (COPPA) age/date, then looped back to the registration form, all blank.
Posted By: Maze Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 8:10 PM
[]It didn't do anything special when I didn't tick the "Accept Rules" box.[/]

Ok, found the "bug". I don't use the age checking in my board. So you need to add this to your newuser.php:

find this line:
Code
$p    = get_input("p","get");

add the next 4 lines after that:
Code
#added 3 lines 28.7.2003 M.Hoeschen [Hack: user friendly registration]<br />   if ( $class_lname || $class_uname || $class_email || $class_agree || $class_pass) {<br />     $p = "y";<br />   }

This should fix it.
Posted By: deltajo Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/29/2003 9:30 PM
Sorry Maze, but that didn't solve it (for me anyway). I left out the tick in "Accept Rules" again, but nothing special happened -- just the usual warning about not completing the form and the instruction to go back. Going back showed nothing different.

I'll start all over and give it another whirl when I get a chance.

Thanks for your efforts.
Posted By: Maze Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration - 07/30/2003 4:59 PM
Well, this sounds as if you have forgotten a step in the instructions... Maybe next time
Hi Maze, any chanche you will update this great mod to 6.4?

Regards,

Ron
Posted By: Maze Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration v1.1 - 01/04/2004 7:26 PM
Hello Ron,

sure. Let me check, if modifications have to be made at all.
I have seen your update. I could not get the old one to work on 6.4, so I'll try the new one right now.
This mod is the best! Thanks m8!

Regards,

Ron
Posted By: Sat4all Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration v1.1 - 10/13/2004 12:09 AM
Maze, any chance you might me updating this extremely good mod for 6.5?
To my absolute surprise, rick has not implemented this in the 6.5 version. Now when people register who try to use a "displayed name" that is allready in use by another member they get the message that they have not filled out the registration form completely and that leads to angry "wannabe-members" who are not able to register:-(

Ron
Posted By: Maze Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration v1.1 - 10/14/2004 8:11 PM
working on this one...
Posted By: Maze Re: Beta-[6.3] User Friendly Registration v1.1 - 10/16/2004 1:58 PM
updated version for 6.5:
Beta-[6.5] User Friendly Registration v1.3
© UBB.Developers