UBB.Dev
Posted By: The Team Coverage: Windows XP Launch - 10/26/2001 2:55 AM
Written by: Greg Hard, MasterMind
Special Thanks to: Microsoft, for Windows XP

I attended today's boston XP launch, and I must say i was dissapointed. I got there around 8:30 AM, 802.11b access point location ready with my laptop to report back, but starbucks access point wasnt working, so i couldn't make live updates or use the webcam. Bummer. When I arrived I got a Windows XP pen, t-shirt and a compaq pen as well as a stress ball. Fun. They should've given me Windows XP for commuting for an hour into boston to do this crap. But it was fun. I met alot of geeks there, and down the road they were holding a lan party for the launch attendee's.

Bill Gates rolled out a taped "welcome", followed by Steve Ballmer making his own announcement. They seemed happy. Wasn't as fun as the newyork launch, which included much more interesting stuff, including Regis Phillbin..

Windows XP Reviewed: True Geek's Insider

Stability: 5 out of 5. It is a little more stable than Windows 2000 and MUCH more stable than ANYTHING with the 9x kernal.

Interface: Look, mom! My first operating system! 2 out of 5. Preschool look. It can be altered, though..

Features :: Multimedia: This version includes a barebones movie maker and Windows Media Player. It's a much needed improvement. It also offers plug in detection for cameras. 4 out of 5.

Features :: Misc: Integrated CD burning, really makes me happy. No ISO support or bootable CD burning, but it does the job. It also has a nice start menu, and IE6, with several improvements. A much improved system restore and driver roll back functions. More can be found at techtv.com. Also has improved user account handling. 4.5 out of 5.

Boot Time: Much improved. Me: from 15 seconds. 2000: 5 seconds.

Plus! XP Pack: Really nice touch. Contains a few screensavers, themes, games and utilities. Those includes a speaker distortion utility, improving sound quality. MP3 > WMA conversion utility also. Contains more, not worth the $40, but a nice toy anyways.
3.5 out of 5.

There are also free powertoys for download here .

Overall: 4.3 out of 5
Thats GOOD for me. I'm picky.

Signing Off,
MasterMind
© UBB.Developers