UBB.Dev
Posted By: Painfool [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/27/2006 9:32 PM
I have email verification on and manual admin authentication but the spambots have officially figured out UBB.Classics login form so I am getting hit with 10-50 new accounts per day. I have added complete domains to the email ban list (@cashette.com for example) but still they are able to actually create the account.

What can be done to prevent them from even creating the fraudulent account? How hard and or how much would it cost to add CAPTCHA or whatever its called (image verification) to the registration form itself?

Any tips on how to harden the registration form up to at least only all submission if the email domain is not on the ban list?

As UBB.Classic is now in a reduced support environment is this all we can hope for?
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/28/2006 4:26 AM
CAPTCHA is coming in UBB.T 7.1, most of the UBB.C dev's here have upgraded to it sadly... Not to mention the best CAPTCHA routes I've seen are PHP based (i can't really think of any which where Perl).
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/28/2006 8:16 AM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
(i can't really think of any which where Perl).

I bet Burak can smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/28/2006 1:18 PM
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
I bet Burak can smile
Lol, I have no doubts there wink
Posted By: Burak Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/29/2006 11:21 PM
smile

I remember that CTM did wrote something related to this (using my GD::SecurityImage as the backend).

But I can't do the UBB part, since I don't have any idea about UBB.Classic internals.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/30/2006 2:00 PM
well, thank god for cpan is all i have to say lol
Posted By: Burak Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 11/30/2006 4:05 PM
Yes, CPAN is the Ultimate Weapon (TM)(R) against other languages laugh

But really, I can't imagine using Perl without CPAN tipsy
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 12/01/2006 1:32 AM
Originally Posted by Burak
But really, I can't imagine using Perl without CPAN tipsy
Impossible
Posted By: Burak Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 12/01/2006 7:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Impossible

I don't think so tipsy Can be a tough job, but not impossible. Virtually, you can duplicate/re-invent any module inside CPAN...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 12/01/2006 9:41 PM
Originally Posted by Burak
I don't think so tipsy Can be a tough job, but not impossible. Virtually, you can duplicate/re-invent any module inside CPAN...
Oh yeh, like that'd be fun :x
Posted By: Burak Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 12/02/2006 6:19 PM
tipsy
Posted By: Smerch Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 12/09/2006 2:08 PM
Hello,
i'm using UBB 6.3.0.1
Each day i'm deleting about 30-50 spam messages on my board... is there a forumhack or smth else, that will add a feature "Image code check" during registration, that will prevent automatic registrations?
I search these forums about 3 hours... also surf all topics in section v6.0 - 6.3 mods, but only in this topic found a few words about captcha...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [REQ] Add CAPTCHA to Registration Form - 12/09/2006 11:40 PM
There will be a CAPTCHA as a stock feature in UBB.Threads 7.1 which is currently in beta testing.

I don't believe there is a CAPTCHA for any versions of UBB.Classic.
© UBB.Developers