UBB.Dev
Posted By: Charles Capps UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/02/2001 11:41 PM
http://kurodot.org/Charles/ubb6article.html

This is required reading if you intend to do *ANY* hacking with UBB6.

*edit 02 10 2001* URL change.

[ February 10, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]
Posted By: amykhar Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/03/2001 1:18 AM
Bless you smile I was hoping that a high level overview of the new code was available. I don't like tweaking code that I don't truly understand.

Amy
Posted By: qasic Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/03/2001 2:07 AM
Excellent article Charles! I second the notion that it's a definite read!
Posted By: CopyCat Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/03/2001 2:12 AM
indeed thank you.
*bumpage*
Posted By: Balbanes Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/04/2001 10:19 PM
Wow. Thanks for the much needed information. I a bit iffy about UBB6.0. But I bet it will be good.

Templates and Moduales eeeeh? Weeell I can get used to it! smile
Excellent article! Can't wait to start coding when ubb6 gets out of beta. =D
Posted By: CopyCat Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/04/2001 11:41 PM
hey charles can i upload the Size.pm to the module folder and use it, or its another kind of modules smile?
Posted By: Leshrac Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/05/2001 12:03 AM
Thanks for writing that up. If you plan on doing any code hacking read that article, and, if you don't already have it, buy this book !
We're talking about different types of Modules.

Perhaps there should be a terminology clarification.

Modules are Perl files with the extension .pm that are called using the use() function. All provide new subroutines and functions, and many use object oritented interfaces....

UBB Modules will be more akin to "plugins" - they will replace or suplement an existing section of UBB's code.

Modules can be implemented with or without IP's help. Frankly, I'm really hoping they will agree to add the nessecary functionality to the UBB. If not, it COULD be relatively trivial to impelement on our own.

Oh, and that link provided above - GET that book if you intend to do ANY serious hacking....

[ February 04, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]
Posted By: Lupus Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/05/2001 8:58 PM
Charles,
I found that article very informative, thanks for posting it. I was wondering though, where I could get more information about wordlets, and template creation.
Thanks,
-Lupus
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/06/2001 11:38 PM
There's currently no documentation other than a basic overview of use of Wordlets that should be provided on the IP website.

I guess we'll have to step in with descriptions. wink

Wordlet is an Infopop-ism. They're a type of what is normally called "language files". Individual strings are stored seperately, changable by the cpanel. Much of the included UBB text is done via wordlets. On this reply form, for instance... "Message Icon", "Message", "HTML is not enabled", "UBB Code is enabled", etc.

Templates are a little more difficult to explain.

Perl has the ability to read and execute a script at the command of another. This is done using a few different methods. The most often used is the require() function. UBB's templates are really nothing more than Perl subroutines that return HTML code. That HTML code is quite easy to find and edit, as there's almost no Perl code to get in the way.
*bump* Note the URL change.
Posted By: CopyCat Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/11/2001 3:57 AM
charles, did you change the text? actually i copied the text to my hd.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: UBB6 and the Code Hacker - an article - 02/11/2001 4:00 AM
no, he switched it to another server as ubbhackers is gone.
© UBB.Developers