UBB.Dev
Posted By: Galactus Instant email link? - 10/16/2001 12:38 PM
When you click on someone's Email icon in a post a new window/page is opened and THEN you can click on the person's email address to send an email. Can't it just automatically operate as a standard "mailto" link the first time you click on the Email icon?
Posted By: Vipermad Re: Instant email link? - 10/16/2001 3:19 PM
There is a hack for that....just a small code modification really...but the reason InfoPop did it the way they did makes some sense. The way it is in a standars board, as you have described it, the user's e-mail addresses are NOT stored on a static html page...so all those "bots" out there designed to suck e-mail addresses off of web pages will NOT work. That being said...it IS so much nicer to have the direct link...even add the ?subject=$TopicName variable to it!! smile
Posted By: Galactus Re: Instant email link? - 10/18/2001 6:52 PM
Vipermad, thanks for the info. I totally overlooked the liklihood of bots sucking email addresses off pages and hence why Infopop opted for what it did.

Do you know where the hack is if I DID want to switch it anyway? It's probably only one snippet of code, like "B" instead of "A", but I was afraid to mess anything up if I tried it myself.
Posted By: Vipermad Re: Instant email link? - 10/18/2001 8:17 PM
I have placed it on my server since I do not have a good and current list of what is here....I'll be working on THAT!!!

HERE IT IS!!

Credits and info are in the zip file. You can also modify it (I think a already wrote) with the ?subject=RE:$TopicSubject for something a little nicer!! smile
Posted By: Galactus Re: Instant email link? - 10/19/2001 8:55 AM
Thanks!!!
Posted By: reloadbench Re: Instant email link? - 10/19/2001 4:03 PM
Thanks for posting this hack. I was looking for this myself. I modified it a little so that instead of creating a blank email to the user, the forum topic gets put into the email subject. I'm using 5.47e but this is such a small hack that it should work in all the versions.

When you find this string:

Code
code:

Replace it with this (includes forum topic into the email subject heading) :

Code
code:

Greg
reloadbench.com
Posted By: reloadbench Re: Instant email link? - 10/19/2001 4:11 PM
Damn Smilies...

Just add this:
Code