UBB.Dev
Posted By: UltimateDBZ Avatar Filesize - 12/02/2002 11:18 PM
To prevent users from using very large files as their avatars, since they can now specify a URL to any image on the internet as a custom avatar, it would be great if there were a way to prevent the use of an image over a setable filesize.

Anyone agree?

Anybody want to whip this up?

Just a suggestion, I know I'd appreciate it smile
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Avatar Filesize - 12/03/2002 1:09 AM
What prevents the user from simply changing the image once the check is performed?

The only way to enforce such a thing would be to combine it with a file upload system that performs the validation...
Posted By: UltimateDBZ Re: Avatar Filesize - 12/03/2002 1:38 AM
That's a good point, perhaps a check could be performed at each login?

I've got an old avatar upload script that doesn't allow images greater than 8kb to be uploaded, that I've used since v6.05, but since this new version doesn't support avatars the way the old avatar hack did (i.e. a 'custom' directory where only files with the proper filename could be used as a custom avatar), using this script by itself would be pointless, since people could just upload their oversized avatar elsewhere and then set their custom avatar URL to it.

If there would be a way to renovate the old custom directory and member-number-as-filename method, that would get the same result, but I'd like for people to be able to use their own servers to upload things, if they like, as well. But at the same time, I don't want hapless n00bs using 200kb pics either wink

Thoughts?
© UBB.Developers