UBB.Dev
Posted By: Joe Siegler Post screen text by forum - 01/06/2003 5:22 PM
Not sure what to call this one. smile

What I want to do is have a mod that will let you put custom text in the screen where you are posting a message.

For example, I run the 3D Realms forums, I'd like for it to say this specifically in the Duke Nukem Forever forum.. "Don't post a msg asking about the release date for Duke Nukem Forever, because it's "when it's done". My idea is to have it appear between the msg icons and the actual text entry window for maximum effect. Perhaps a table there that the forum operator can insert whatever text they want.

Likewise, I'd like to post other msgs in other forums.

Anyone?
Posted By: technoforum.de Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/06/2003 10:48 PM
i did that the realy easy way by using the extra field for every forum in ubb6.01 @ the cp, so i put a special "how to search for records"-text between the tables:
http://technoforum.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3

Nützlicher Hinweis:
Benutzt bitte die Subjektzeile für möglichst präzise, dennoch kurze Angaben bzgl. [suche] oder [biete]: wann spielte welcher DJ in welchem Set in welchem Club/Radio einen Track welchen Genres/Stils? Vor einem Request benutze einfach die [suche]-Funktion! Good luck

it's really quite easy to use a bunch of html-tags to change the look'n feel of that note. in case i misunderstood your request, sorry *G*

chris
http://technoforum.de
Posted By: Joe Siegler Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 6:47 PM
I'm talking about the page you enter text on, not a forum display.

Look at this picture. Circled in red is where I envisioned the extra text would go. Obviously, if there was no text, it would not show anything.

http://www.siegler.net/.pics/ubbdevidea1.png
Posted By: LK Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 7:22 PM
Just like what I did in www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=newtopic;f=30 (notice it's only in new topic, and it's only on forum 30, 33, 20 and another one)
Posted By: Joe Siegler Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 7:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Just like what I did in www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=newtopic;f=30 (notice it's only in new topic, and it's only on forum 30, 33, 20 and another one)
OK, so is this code online somewhere that I can mess with it? smile
Posted By: LK Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 7:31 PM
public_new_topic.pl.
Find:
Code
[/code]Add below:[code]
Of course change the text and the forum numbers...
Posted By: Joe Siegler Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 7:41 PM
Well, I wanted text that was specific to each forum. While this code is what I'd want sort of, I kind of needed something more elaborate.

I was envisioning something where it was in the control panel, you could turn it on/off per forum, and have somethign in the forum areas that showed what the "post intro text" (I admit I can't think of a good name) would be for that forum.

The code above is fine if you want just the same simple text in forum a,b,c,d - but if you want different text in said forums (or others/whatever), I think something more elaborate might be needed.
Posted By: LK Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 7:50 PM
Code
[/code]Then download vars_wordlets.cgi from your server, and add the following lines into it: (after "%vars_wordlets = (" or before ");")
[code]
Untested but should work..
Posted By: Joe Siegler Re: Post screen text by forum - 01/07/2003 11:54 PM
Tried it - unless I'm a moron, it didn't work for me (I saw nothing different than normal). I tried your formatting for the vars_wordlets.cgi the way you had it shown and this way:

[code][/code]Which seems to match the format of the file. (Forums 1,2,4 are the ones that exist on my test bed board.
Posted By: Joe Siegler Re: Post screen text by forum - 02/18/2003 5:47 PM
Bump. Any further ideas?
© UBB.Developers