UBB.Dev
Posted By: Thermit UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 12:05 AM
I'd like to see demos of UBB.portal even if they are just rough hacks for now.

Maybe there could be a place where different instances of portal are linked so that people can see what it looks like with different configs and styles...
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 12:19 AM
There is no working demo of the actual portal, but ubbdev.com is an example of a rough version of some stuff in it...
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 5:33 AM
Translation: There is no solid, working code yet.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 6:25 AM
Right.. Need sleep. g'night.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 9:32 AM
The Demo code we also know as "Beta" will probably be released. It's code, but not finished and still has problems in it.
Posted By: Dennis Jones Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 7:05 PM
So let me get this straight when its all finished yout going to be releasing it?
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 7:13 PM
We plan on doing it right, therefor i doubt we'll be releasing a beta.
Posted By: Hank Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 9:14 PM
So... the release is going to be a time? at least a month, maybe 2?
Well, thats enough time to get drunk I suppose. laugh
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/16/2002 9:49 PM
As with most all software, there will be beta releases. Doing it Rightâ„¢ will involve lots of up-front work on the backend and several other aspects tho. Those 2 sentences together means that it will be at least 2 months before the first beta of any consequence will be seen - we've got lots of planning and core design to go over before the first 1 & 0 hits the pavement.

This forum was opened to get a general feel for what you guys want, we understand that it also creates a desire for it even if it isn't close to being ready... patience grasshopper tipsy

Ask again in a month to see where we are... we'll make news available when there is some in the meantime. For those who can't wait, there's already several scripts that do a lot of what we're working on, just not with the same degree of integration combined with clean coding. Check your forum for your version for the ubbnews script, the latest threads script, the calendat mod, etc.

We are working as quickly as volunteer time allows, but you can't throw it together, you wouldn't like/want the end result.
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/17/2002 4:18 AM
call them "Beta Testers to make them special smile

>patience grasshopper

My friend is has corny jokes, but heres what he says "the grasshopper was so patient that he died waiting for his master"

see? corny.

Ok anyways, we gonna see a demo or a screenshot first? Or both?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/17/2002 9:27 AM
Maybe we can see a screenshot of the beta, otherwise you'll just get one when it's finished.
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/17/2002 5:05 PM
I'm working on something, and by no means I'm an expert. But I'm just having fun, I'll see how diferent, things look when the developers are done, from what I'm doing. my work is extremely rough, but if anybody wants to check it out send me a PM and I'll send you a link so you can track my progress, as I work on it on a daily basis, and time permitting. Please keep in mind that I'm just a regular webmaster, so expect no dazzling graphics, just a basic portal.
Perhaps if you have some knowledge, we could share and do a little project :-), I welcome inputs; By no means I'm competing with the experts, I just see a few of us getting impatient...
Rabriar
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/17/2002 8:23 PM
cool. I'd like to see it when you have something to show
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/18/2002 1:22 AM
ok once again, this is a very rough look at what I'm working on. My Portal
I'm working on more things to add to it, if anybody wants to get involved in it you can email me or PM me, I'll try to add stuff as my time permits.
It's not great, but just a beginning.
and yes I have to work on the graphics (buttons), not my best area....

Rabriar
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/18/2002 5:59 AM
Nice start smile
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/18/2002 9:03 AM
Needs a bit more custom work, because the News and Latest Threads are hacks me thinks.
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 3:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rabriar:
I'm working on more things to add to it, if anybody wants to get involved in it you can email me or PM me, I'll try to add stuff as my time permits.

Rabriar

Seems good enough and basic enough

I like dark colors smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 4:00 AM
I love to see what people put together. If you use the SSI functions of the hacks you install you can come up with a very nice home page or entry into your site.

I'm looking forward to a unified login and styles being controlled by the UBB styles.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 5:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TheX:
I'm looking forward to a unified login and styles being controlled by the UBB styles.

question... I've been wanting a unified login as well, but what exactly are we looking at in this? What's the purpose/function? I think I know what I want, but will see if we're on the same page before answering myself smile
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 6:27 AM
In general, this means that there is a way to make sure that someone is a member before something is done or made available - what that specific thing is will vary, of course.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 6:56 AM
ahhhh... hmmm.

We can already check to see if they are cookied and show their name [logout] or if they aren't ask them to login/register. Would this take it further and allow them to see latest threads or not depending on if they were logged in or some such thing?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 6:56 AM
maybe pm notification?
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 7:03 AM
Greetings.
At one point I thought the following topic would answer the question of loging in throughout the site. Here is the topic I'm talking about " Login sequence ", but after trying yesterday and early today I gave up on it. If anybody can figure out how to make this work, I feel that a more simple implementation of Login in plus other scripts can be done, cutting down on the time needed to modify and blend such scripts....or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about... frown .
this could be useful to add things like a newsletter and classified ads sections.

Rabriar
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 7:55 AM
What about the code here?

https://ubbdev.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000566;p=2#000024
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 8:01 AM
I'm working with cgi and html files for now. how can I make that work with other than php?

Rabriar
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 9:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TheX:
I love to see what people put together. If you use the SSI functions of the hacks you install you can come up with a very nice home page or entry into your site.

There isn't much SSI hacks out there though, so thats why we need portal.

rabriar - Just change the with the call you use for HTML.
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 4:25 PM
nope that didn't do it.
I'll check the books again...

Rabriar
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/19/2002 10:55 PM
ok I got that working, but still, it stays in the same page. How can I redirect the user to the login page if hey are not logged in, just like in the forum summary. I did a "view source" and all, but still when I add it to a page if you are not logged in, you are still able to see ther est of the page.(here is an axample of what I'm talking about Test Page .)
What I want to do is that if you are not logged in, have you redirected to a login page. But if you are logged in then you can have access to the contents of that page.
Can this be done?

Thank you

Rabriar
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/20/2002 1:42 AM
There is an error with your UBB News there, it isn't showing the news for you.
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/20/2002 7:21 AM
No it's just the black text on a black background.
I left it like that, basicly I just wanted to show you that the script shows you the rest of the page even though you are not logged in.

Rabriar
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/20/2002 8:42 AM
I don't think the code you used is supposed to stop the page loading if your not logged in.
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/20/2002 5:13 PM
ahh ok.
I see what I can do, that's what I understood from the old posts. But there has to be a way to do it, I'll work on it during the week.

Rabriar
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/21/2002 10:08 PM
quote:

Rabriar

I went back, and added Who is online to it. I got the code from one of LK's posts...Thanks LK!.
Well, it looks like that now, I'll add borders to the table to see if it looks better with them. I did not want to end the week without adding something to it smile .
Click the link for "My Portal" in the quote above to see how it looks.

Rabriar
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/22/2002 7:50 AM
quote:
I'm working on something, and by no means I'm an expert. But I'm just having fun, I'll see how diferent, things look when the developers are done, from what I'm doing. my work is extremely rough, but if anybody wants to check it out send me a PM and I'll send you a link so you can track my progress, as I work on it on a daily basis, and time permitting. Please keep in mind that I'm just a regular webmaster, so expect no dazzling graphics, just a basic portal.
Perhaps if you have some knowledge, we could share and do a little project :-), I welcome inputs; By no means I'm competing with the experts, I just see a few of us getting impatient...
Rabriar

why don't you join the *official* project?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/22/2002 8:26 AM
Not too bad. smile

I am also going to add more things to my PN then I had, I only had Latest Threads and WOL and soon to add some Statistics and maybe PM notification.
Posted By: rabriar Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/22/2002 10:28 PM
I have no skills to offer to the *official* project I'm good at seeing something after it's done, and maybe finding errors, but I can not write code at all, so there's no need for me to just add my name there, just to be there.

I'll just wait for the portal to be done.

Rabriar
Posted By: eXtremeTim Re: UBB.portal Demo - 07/31/2002 10:30 PM
This portal sounds like it is going to be great. Keep up all the hard work you guys.
Posted By: 2Dum2no Re: UBB.portal Demo - 08/23/2002 8:48 PM
Anything NEW going on with this?

Ray
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 08/24/2002 12:26 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, no update for a while. smirk
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBB.portal Demo - 08/25/2002 3:07 AM
i have to apologize for the lack of updates. it seems that the few of us involved have been overloaded with real life things lately and haven't had the time to devote to the portal that we should. I hope to be able to change that very soon.
Posted By: Bring In The Geek Re: UBB.portal Demo - 08/28/2002 8:31 PM
That is a bummer. I thought that UBB WAS Real Life. Anyway, is there anything available for d/l that will allow us poor users to beta test this for somebody?
Posted By: RandyM Re: UBB.portal Demo - 08/28/2002 10:04 PM
I have a 5 day vacation starting tonight that will give me a chance to start putting some templates together with the basics. I want to spend some of that 5 days catching up on sleep but I'll get something done with some ideas for the portal layout.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: UBB.portal Demo - 08/29/2002 5:18 AM
smile

Good to see it kicking off well.
© UBB.Developers