UBB.Dev
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 4:03 AM
has anyone thought of a UBBPortal similar to vBPortal ?

[ 01-13-2002 08:05 PM: Message edited by: [ #1 Stunna ] ]
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 6:09 AM
I think it's a great idea.
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:04 AM
I am confuzzeled (nothing new) What is or does VBPortal do?
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 12:22 PM
Check out PHPportals.com
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 5:44 PM
Besides grouping a few of our modifications together and calling it ubb portal... what do you see in vbportal that we don't have on the https://ubbdev.com/ page here? An SSI of polls might be about the only one not done yet....
Posted By: bizkit73 Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 6:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
Besides grouping a few of our modifications together and calling it ubb portal...

What would be wrong with that?

I think it would be a lot of work, but if everyone worked on it together I think it could be done. There is some talent here amongst the ubb hacks.

It would definately need some sort of controls in the cp for turning different mods on or off.

I actually think you guys could make it even better than the one for vbulletin. Considering ubb is by far a better forum than vbulletin, that would be an easy task.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:16 PM
I have to agree that giving the portal page CP control would be great. And why not throw in MySQL support while you're at it? Sorry, I had to throw that one in there.

I love UBBDevs home page implementation, but it would be easier and very marketable to have a portal built in so new people could roll out a UBB integrated site easier. It would give them a good foundation for a faster start. I realize that there are a lot of purist that would scoff at that idea but I feel it's valid.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:28 PM
It's definitely valid, and probably something we could do quite easily and put an mhk together on... installation on a clean ubb would take 5-10 minutes and have no errors.

What features would you like to see?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:30 PM
Would need to remain "modularized" so that upgrades to sections (like the calendar or news) could be done easily.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:37 PM
Allen, you rock. As soon as I get off my laptop (and off work) I'll throw some ideas together if you like. I'm not sure how valuable a single persons input is. But having it use the variables that the normal UBB pages do, and style templates would be a huge plus.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:43 PM
quote:
Besides grouping a few of our modifications together and calling it ubb portal... what do you see in vbportal that we don't have on the https://ubbdev.com/ page here? An SSI of polls might be about the only one not done yet....

well, from what i can assert, vBPortal ships "ready to plug in out of the box". It has all of those features that you see demonstrated on PHPportals.com w/o much tinkering. It also has a very nice CP:

http://www.phpportals.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=15384

they also have that cool little ShoutBox thing. all in all, it's a very, very cool plug & play solution.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:49 PM
hmmm... ok

one person's input is ok, but it's at least 2 now since mine is included too... I imagine we'll have quite a few more as it develops.

I'll put requested features here so we can update as we go:

Requested Features:

Must-haves:
  • News SSI - done
  • Latest Threads SSI - done
  • Polls SSI
  • Calendar SSI - done
  • Forum Styles - done
  • ???

Wants:
  • WOL SSI
  • Login Box for those not logged in and "welcome username" for those logged in
  • web links
  • shout box
  • panels toggled on and off
  • announcement posting icons
  • User-posted Reviews
  • Downloads Section
  • Image Gallery
  • ???
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by [ #1 Stunna ]:

well, from what i can assert, vBPortal ships "ready to plug in out of the box". It has all of those features that you see demonstrated on PHPportals.com w/o much tinkering. It also has a very nice CP:
they also have that cool little ShoutBox thing. all in all, it's a very, very cool plug & play solution.

vbportal isn't the easiest to install and has some major html problems in the default styles that do not work well in browsers other than the latest IE. There are some things that could be done much better...
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 7:58 PM
Allen, your list is outstanding, and something that I could use immediately.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 8:08 PM
I can put together one using the latest modifications we have here, tho I don't know if we have a poll ssi yet, I'll have to check the threads. And I might need assistance with the forum styles, tho I think grabbing the one Jamin did with pulling forum header/footers across should take care of it
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 11:51 PM
Allen,

have a gawk @ vBulletin.org . It's a good example and has pretty much everything that you listed above. Don't forget the SHOUTBOX and polling.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/14/2002 11:53 PM
O, one more thing, when you go into PHPportal.com's forum you have an option in the upper right that allows you to toggle the sidebar SSI on & off. Just FYI.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 1:28 AM
Allen, need any help? I could code a master interface for it. Turn on/off different panels, customize things, blah, in other words, i'm bored with studying for my exams and want something else to do.

I'll code or do anything if you need it, I like the idea of UBB Portal.

[ 01-14-2002 05:39 PM: Message edited by: DPK ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 2:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DPK:
Allen, need any help? smile You would do a much better job than I anyways - I am just getting the ball rolling smile LK has already assisted me in getting the forum styles to pull to the page (we'll use it for the style rotation thing as well).

The basics are there (except for the poll ssi), it just needs some integration and clean-up. Turning off and on panels are useful too
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 2:38 AM

aside form my ubb i also run a vB, www.animeforumz.com , see the stats at the top of the page? how about something to list the most viewed post, and top posteds etc. mabey addons to the member list?

[ 01-14-2002 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Anime-loo ]
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 3:14 AM
I have a feeling that something really good is going to come from this.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 3:34 AM
if its needed i might be able to get a copy of vBportal to one of the people coding this if they need it, im sure you dont tho
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 7:02 AM
No, don't do that - this should be a cleanroom implementation.

Make a feature list and stick to it. Cloning a product feature for feature is not wise, even if it's free.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 8:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
No, don't do that - this should be a cleanroom implementation.

Make a feature list and stick to it. Cloning a product feature for feature is not wise, even if it's free.

acully they charge $20 for vBportal

and i know its a bad idea, i thought whom ever was doing it might wnana look at it in case they got stuck coding something is all, i dont wanna clone, vBportal isent that great IMO
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 8:35 AM
Not very legal either if you ask me... charging money for a product clearly a port of a GPL-licensed script (phpnuke). Yes, they may have added their own little flares to it, but it's still based on open-sourced scripts. Even if it manuevers somehow to be legal, it's still not right.

Anyways, enough of vbp, this one could be nicer and much easier to install smile In the meantime, post suggestions and pointers to code if you gottem
Posted By: LK Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 1:39 PM
I didn't write it, I just took Skorpion's code and moved it to one file... Skorp's code is better because you don't have to upload ultimatebb.cgi every time you modify something, but for some reason it didn't work on UBBDev's testboard
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 6:49 PM
hmmm... I don't understand the re-uploading part, but ok smile

Once we get some initial coding from DPK we'll open a beta thread and go from there, in the mean time, we'll work on goals and direction.

I added the "announcement post icons" to the list...
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 7:11 PM
You guys are getting me all excited now.
Posted By: bizkit73 Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 8:48 PM
I think compact headers/footers might also be a nice addition.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but a collapsable sidebar would very cool too.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/15/2002 11:23 PM
me two, all we need is a way to have diff templates to diff styles and i can get animeforumz.com on a ubb 6.2!
i hate that vB, i so wanna buy anthor ubb and convert it over

[ 01-15-2002 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Anime-loo ]
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 12:11 AM
This is the structure I was sorta thinking about...

[Linked Image]

It's basically self explanatory, except for the modules directory. The modules directory will contain a single file for each mod included into the portal. The file (ubbp_mod_.cgi) will contain information that can be parsed quickly so it can be served to anyone visiting your site.

Modules are loaded automatically for convenience (sorta like on newspro, not hard to do). Settings for that module then magically appear in the cp, letting you enable/disable it, move it up/down - left/right, or whatever. All settings are saved to a central config file.

Through 'hooks' in ubb_portal.cgi, the modules can insert parts of them-weird-selves. The visitor to your site never really sees anything except index.shtml which wonderfully uses ssi to include different things.

Come hither and dissertate your thoughts...

[ 01-15-2002 08:18 PM: Message edited by: DPK ]
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 12:42 AM
anyone feel like designing a logo?

anyone feel like designing the public interface, making sure it's xhtml compliant and all the other such.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 12:49 AM
Your structure/plans sound good DPK, especially the plug-in/module support. smile
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 1:30 AM
have a news sorter, u can sort via newest, oldest, acending, decending etc.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 1:42 AM
This is a great idea guys. I like it.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 3:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Anime-loo:
have a news sorter, u can sort via newest, oldest, acending, decending etc.

most likely the news will be stored in an announcements forum.. would be much more valuable there for commenting, searching, etc...
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 3:51 AM
How did i MISS this thread?

If anyone's interested I have a more advanced ubbnews i can easily name "UBBPortal News" or something. Just ask.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 3:54 AM
Greg: advanced, how so?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 4:44 AM
quote:
anyone feel like designing a logo? smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 5:53 AM
That looks great, and I have a newly designed site I just put up today that REALLY wants this portal.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 8:14 AM
quote:
anyone feel like designing a logo?

well since I don't know Perl yet...
I'll work on a logo also.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 8:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Anime-loo:

acully they charge $20 for vBportal

and i know its a bad idea, i thought whom ever was doing it might wnana look at it in case they got stuck coding something is all, i dont wanna clone, vBportal isent that great IMO

UMM... actually it's free:

http://www.phpportals.com/downloads.php?op=download&id=7
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 8:28 AM
quote:

UMM... actually it's free:

http://www.phpportals.com/downloads.php?op=download&id=7

"You are not authorized to download this file... "

This thread is not about vb portal.. please keep it on subject, thank you for understanding...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 8:31 AM
Have some nice logos over here, DPK

https://ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001256
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 9:32 AM
Allen,

you have to register on their board in order to DL. just proving a point not trying to push vBPortal.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 1:31 PM
More Ideas....

how about MSN Messenger integration?

Demo: http://woertman.org/
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 1:52 PM
i believe web integration can be had w/ AIM, Yahoo!, and ICQ also (hint, hint ). the Online/Offline UBB hack on the main page would be cool also, this would allow you to see who is on the board (in addition to WOL?).

[ 01-16-2002 05:56 AM: Message edited by: [ #1 Stunna ] ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 5:47 PM
those are good modifications for the ubb, but how would they be a part of the front page? I don't see it.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 6:28 PM
in the ubb portal cp, how about a layout map that would let you change the layout of the main page real easy, and/or a page that shows and lets you edit the html via the cp
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 8:32 PM
Hello,

I am using UBB on my board and almost made a purchase to vBulletin and vPortal because of the awesome array of extra features that come with it.

However, upon seeing your post here about a UBBPortal, I think I'll stay with UBB for now.

In terms of actual functionalities, I saw you listed some thing like polls and calenders. You listed these as SSI, but aren't they already implemented in the upcoming UBB6.2 built in?

I really like the layout of http://www.vpforums.com/ and want to do something similar with UBB. Hopefully the UBBPortal would do that. One thing I must request though, is the weather forecast thingy. That has been bugging me for awhile. I think the vportal allows wheather forecast for the location the member is in after logging in.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 10:41 PM
quote:
those are good modifications for the ubb, but how would they be a part of the front page? I don't see it.

i was thinking that you could have an Online/Offline status icon on the initial portal page that would show who is browsing the boards in addition to WOL. The IM status icons (AIM, Yahoo!, MSN, ICQ) would give you the IM status of members currently browsing the boards. They have something similar on http://woertman.org/ once you login.

The full blown embedded MSN Messenger would just be something that is cool to have. It's all about options!

BTW, how can I get started learning Perl/CGI? Are there any free sites on the web? I'm sure there are, you guys should be able to give me a good headstart. I have such great ideas and I would love to contribute in a much more impactful fashion. Thanks.

[ 01-16-2002 02:46 PM: Message edited by: [ #1 Stunna ] ]
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/16/2002 11:56 PM
quote:
Greg: advanced, how so? smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 12:08 AM
more features like?

and please post code if you got it... don't need no steenkeeng vaporware right now
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 12:35 AM
I have a strange feeling that this may in the beta mods forum pretty soon...*hopes*
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 12:45 AM
code!

i'll start doing some heavy coding on the portal this weekened. lets see.... only 3 more exams this week.... * goes to study *
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 1:17 AM
DPK you may wanna do the news part yourself. I'm busy so it cant be finished soon.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 3:00 AM
greg: i'd prefer to stick with coding the portal backend itself. sure, i could code the news thing, but i'm not an avant user of it and am not as familliar with it as you are. there's no rush on getting anything completely finished, always room for upgrades.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 3:36 AM
ok can you PM me the backend code? I can surely help.
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 4:49 AM
Hello,

Not sure if this is included in the list already but vBulletin has a page where we can view each of the members' info (ie homepage, profile, etc). Can we doe the same thing as well?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 7:12 AM
can you point to an example? it sounds like the profile page...
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 8:20 AM
Hello,

Yes it is the member list and it comes with a list of awesome features such as list by "Top 10 Posters", "List Alphabetically", and "List by Date Joined". An example is at List

Then there is also the photo gallery. An example is at Gallery Example . And the weather forecast example is on the same page. It'd be very neat if we can do that as well on the UBB boards
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 9:16 AM
we have a memberlist... that sorts like that. DPK has been coding it for a while now smile

what do you think of as a portal? Isn't it something like a content management system? A way to organize info for eaze of managment by admins? what else?

One thing to keep in mind, the layout of this is gonna require a lot of thought to keep it from looking as messy as some "portals". If we wanted something that looks like page #84 of a phone book, we'd have gotten a vB tipsy
Posted By: August Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 10:42 AM
This is an awesome thing you guys are doing! I can see this becoming a "must have" mod.
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 11:52 AM
Hello,

Sorry but I never noticed that memberlist mod. Will it be available for the latest 6.2 and do you have a link to where I can find it?

Yes I do think that it should be a good content management system with ease of information layout and control. Therefore, the photo gallery fits in. This allws member to upload and organize their photos in an organized manner. It allows people to have a single location to search for photos they may find useful.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 3:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Canreef:

Then there is also the photo gallery. An example is at Gallery Example .

@Canreef,

the Photo gallery is an additional mod called PhotoPost that costs $ ($99 - $135 USD). see:

http://www.techimo.com/photopost/index.html?AID=6308407&PID=801566

http://store.yahoo.net/techimo/photlic.html

however i have seen free CGI/Perl scripts ( http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Image_Galleries/ ) that do sort of the same thing. it shouldn't take much to integrate that.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 3:31 PM
quote:
....One thing to keep in mind, the layout of this is gonna require a lot of thought to keep it from looking as messy as some "portals". If we wanted something that looks like page #84 of a phone book, we'd have gotten a vB tipsy

i agree. the layout should be clean and not look extremely cluttered. however, it should be completely customizable and modular so that admins can throw in new features/plugins and even get the cluttered look if they happen to like that.

[edit]typo[/edit]

[ 01-17-2002 07:33 AM: Message edited by: [ #1 Stunna ] ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 5:56 PM
Once we get to where it is easy to turn panels off and on, then we can consider those things that aren't normally put in a portal system. It would be silly to get bogged down for weeks integrating/bugtesting things that do not show up on the front page of a site for 95% of the people who would use it.

There's a photo gallery modification in the 6.0 beta forum that you might be interested in. The memberlist is in the beta forum for 6.1
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 6:34 PM
I have to agree that we need a "clean" and easy to implement portal page. I'm sure that this will be the mod to have and there will be a lot of "modules" added as time goes on.

I have a third site that uses a Snitz board (It's a M$ .Net site in .asp) and it has a portal that users design modules for. It's a great addon, but I really feel that UBB is more flexible and will offer a lot more customization through the use of style templates and integration into the rest of the board.

One question though...with the code you guys are building now, will this easily integrate into sites with UBBs that are already hacked or are you aiming for a complete package that will be added as the rest of the hacks are on a clean install?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 6:51 PM
It should be easy enough to add to ubb's already hacked, unless some functions overlap (calendar, news, etc), then we may need to provide a manual form of installation. Otherwise, it will install in a few minutes on a clean board using an mhk if you choose. Either way, we'll provide a manual install text file with the different modules noted... Most people may choose to install it on a new 6.2 once that's available smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 7:15 PM
Outstanding....now I have to learn a little more patience...
Posted By: platinum Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 7:26 PM
the display username can be done with javascript, it was posted a while ago by LK
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 11:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
Outstanding....now I have to learn a little more patience...

Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 11:11 PM
just updated that structure image on p3 of this thread. forgot cp_portal.cgi... why i didn't list it before i don't know. i had a template listed for it. bleh.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 11:14 PM
Canreef: 6.1 beta forum. it will be ported to 6.2 when 6.2 goes 'gold'. there should be no problem with it right now for 6.2 though (need to double check that).
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 11:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Hard:
ok can you PM me the backend code? I can surely help. smile
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/17/2002 11:35 PM
eh, when you do d00d.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/18/2002 11:18 PM
Charles has done some work on a module system for the ubb in the past DPK, you might check the thread in the developers forum.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/18/2002 11:55 PM
im seeing this is truning into just the thing i wanted.

animeforumz.com (my vB) is ganna become a full site powered by the vB, i wanted to do this with ubb aswell but when my server killed my cgi it kinda messed that up, synergy:core was planing to re boot with a 6.2 upgrade, something i belive sould be in this is the ablity to use the member files for email,donwload protechtion, and a few other things, im planing on taking this mod and powering s:c with it 100%. im *Hopeing* that you guys add the feture to let the admin edit the html via the cp, and let it run multiple pages. im waiting on this, sorry for the spelling . im hoping to be one of the frist ones with it up and running with this becomes beta.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/19/2002 1:31 AM
Yeah it would be great! We just need 6.2.0 to final in time.
Posted By: Laura_ubb Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/19/2002 2:27 AM
This sounds really cool!
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/19/2002 3:01 AM
Are we aiming at this for 6.1.0.4 also? Some of us might not be upgrading immediately.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/19/2002 5:25 AM
quote:
Charles has done some work on a module system for the ubb in the past DPK, you might check the thread in the developers forum.

i was never given access to that forum
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/19/2002 9:27 AM
I didn't know... I wondered why you hadn't said something in that thread...

done
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/19/2002 6:37 PM
thanx much so
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/22/2002 11:57 AM
hey guys,

noticed that there are a lot of FREE PHP scripts that are already written that do most of the things we are discussing. do you see it as a viable option to edit one of those and release it as UBBPortal?
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/22/2002 3:30 PM
ubb is cgi and not php being one reason
not all servers support php being another reason
editing existing software and call it our own just isn't our way
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/22/2002 10:03 PM
The UBB is Perl.

CGI is a protocal. Both PHP and Perl use CGI. :-P
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/22/2002 10:59 PM
u know what i meant
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 5:37 AM
just tossing in suggestions. why re-invent the wheel? even if you can make a better wheel? in the end it's still a wheel....
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 6:26 AM
Partly because it can take longer getting a third-party script to work with your forum than writing it clean without their bugs to contend with.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 7:40 AM
Ahhhhh, wisdom on parade.
Posted By: dreamer Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 7:55 AM
Thank you guys for this project which I'm sure that it will become the most important ubb mod ever.Here is my suggestions

Download Section with a meter which shows
- how many times EACH file has been downloaded

a simple box which shows realtime
- Users online in the web page
- Users online in the forum

in the ubbnews ,if its possible to make every post like the Neowin site which has a
- graphic for comments
- Last comment by
- customize (colors,fonts)

Any news about release date of a beta version? Don't say "when its done"
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 8:43 AM
those are some good suggestions dreamer.

they are working on the module system right now, which is being done from scratch and will take the majority of development time most likely. When that is in running shape, then we'll have an idea of when we can start expecting public betas
Posted By: sage undertaker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 3:28 PM
tipsy
Posted By: Casper Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/23/2002 4:14 PM
Please forgive me if this has already been suggested.

But it would be nice if the front page would "Welcome" the visitor.

i.e. Welcome, Casper or Welcome, Guest.

If something like this already exists please point me in the right direction.

I am looking forward to the portal.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/24/2002 12:12 AM
my developement has basically ground to a halt since about last saturday and won't resume until i see what capps has up his sleeves.
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/24/2002 8:54 AM
Hello,

Who is caps? What does he have up his sleeve?
I just purchased a whole year worth of domain hosting just so that I can use Post Nuke. It turned out to be very awesome. The features it provides is just mind boggling. For example:
1) it allows you to administer how many times a banner will display and allow the banner payee to login and view its banner statistics.
2) it allows members to post news, articles, for the administer to review, prior to displaying it.
3) it provides a site statistics for traffic during the day, browser and OS visitiors uses, etc
4) it shows you which file, thread, news is the most popular
5) a very easy polling station
6) etc etc etc

However, I have to abadon the idea frown frown

So please hurry, we need this UBB Portal. Otherwise, my hosting fee will be wasted.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/24/2002 10:23 PM
Capps. Two Ps.

Local admin, code hacker, and the guy actually in charge of maintaining and updating the UBB code.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/25/2002 5:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
Capps. Two Ps.

Local admin, code hacker, and the guy actually in charge of maintaining and updating the UBB code.

And the guy is going to launch us into the world of the UBB Portal?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/25/2002 7:00 AM
UBBDesign.com have something very similar to this. It's not connected to the UBB though because it's a PHP Nuke but it had impressive features.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/25/2002 7:22 AM
Features request list updated with :

• User-posted Reviews
  • Downloads Section
  • Image Gallery

https://ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=000471#000011

We'll flesh out the features once work is begun on the different sections...
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/25/2002 9:42 AM
Hello,

How about the following list too?
1) it allows you to administer how many times a banner will display and allow the banner payee to login and view its banner statistics.
2) it allows members to post news, articles, for the administer to review, prior to displaying it.
3) it provides a site statistics for traffic during the day, browser and OS visitiors uses, etc
4) it shows you which file, thread, news is the most popular
5) a very easy polling station
6) etc etc etc

Is the UBB Portal development work halted at the moment? I still don't get what DPK was saying about Capps.
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/25/2002 9:47 AM
Hello,

Actually one more. A login script that works with both the portal site and the ubb software.
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/26/2002 2:36 AM
vote on portal logo:
https://ubbdev.com/test/test1/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001944

Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/26/2002 9:38 AM
OK.... some ideas that I had about the UBBPortal:

That's it for now... but i have more ideas brewing.

#1 Stunna

[ 01-26-2002 02:33 AM: Message edited by: [ #1 Stunna ] ]
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/26/2002 11:17 AM
more stats...

http://www.linuxmax.net/Forums/index.php?s=1e7ae577d9c43bfa6e1b60e4aeb92d17
Posted By: Laura_ubb Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 7:12 PM
Anyone been here?
http://www.ubbdesign.com/post_nuke/html/index.php

They have a portal system with UBB.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 7:19 PM
That's not a UBB portal, it's a PHP portal that doesn't integrate the logins. Hahahaha, it's nice to see a pic of my board when I open the link though.

A UBB portal will allow style templates and logins that are part of the UBB itself.
Posted By: Henry8th Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 7:22 PM
i just read this thread and i have to say this sounds amazing and i take my hat of to anyone that does this wink

oooooo dunt know if im wrong but could mystyle be added to this smile as that is my favourite wink

thanks again.

Ps. when finished will this be in the beta room ???
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 7:28 PM
Exactly... there's no reason to have seperate logins for the portal and the forum, they should be the same.

Expect an alpha-beta of v1 this coming weekend. vI will be an exercise to see where we wanna go with this, trying out different layouts, features, etc.

vII will be where we are heading with this long-term, building out the internal design and data retrieval layers. That one, depending on how fast the parts come together, could be 1-4 weeks away before we see the beta for it.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 10:10 PM
Allen,

what did you the developers think about my ideas?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 10:57 PM
It's a little early to know what features will be included in the final version, the main thing they'll be working on is a "plug-in module" interface so you can pretty much use any feature set you want.. that's gonna be the major time-consumer as far as development goes...
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/29/2002 11:19 PM
COOL ! [Linked Image]

did you get that plugin idea from me?
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/30/2002 12:23 AM
indeed, as Allen said, v2 of UBBPortal will be a while in the works before it hits the beta forum. but hopefully not that long. im trying to see about splitting up the project amoung the l33t coders so we can work together.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/30/2002 12:37 AM
quote:
COOL ! [Linked Image]

did you get that plugin idea from me?

you and a few hundred other people who've requested it wink
Posted By: big-deal Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/30/2002 12:31 PM
Will this UBB portal have a standard layout or can be customized? Can we add html as well? smile
Posted By: Canreef Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/30/2002 7:05 PM
Hello,

I'm in the process of buying a new web server and was thinking of upgrading my UBB to UBBThreads. Is this even necessary now that we have the UBBPortal? I want a single log in but don't know whether this will be good with the flat file database system that UBB use. Will there be a portal for the UBBThread as well?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 01/30/2002 8:39 PM
canreef, we are starting on a "portal" for ubbthreads, you set 2 paths in one file and upload - voila! ubbthreads portal laugh

It is beta-quality right now, but works well in its present form. For an example, check this one out: https://ubbdev.com/index2.php - it needs some cosmetic help, but is very easy to implement and will get better as we work on it. JustDave has been the main developer so far. Check the "site integration" forum for more info over there.

v2 of ubbportal will be extremely nice... either should work well for you smile

quote:
Originally posted by big-deal:
Will this UBB portal have a standard layout or can be customized? Can we add html as well? smile

will have a standard layout tht you can customize smile
Posted By: JonNJapan Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/01/2002 9:35 AM
I really like this idea! Thanks to everyone who is working hard on this.

My requests are the following:

Memberlist
Calendar
Stats
MyStyle

Those are my favorite. And, being as CGI illiterate I am, I'm confused, after I read the WHOLE topic...It's like a hack, with more than one hack, right? Dumb question, I know... I guess what I wanna ask is that it's gonna be installed as if I was installing a hack, right?

~Jon
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/01/2002 11:08 AM
Everything on the vB portal will be all I want on UBBPortal.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/04/2002 10:23 AM
OK. found this site while browsing:

http://www.plastiqueweb.com/core/html/

are they using just SSI?
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/05/2002 1:41 AM
what do u think?

(yes wink )
Posted By: smilesforu Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/05/2002 10:36 AM
Nice project guys.

Is it going to be possible to have a plugin for plugins.

A converter type of plug in that would allow the use of php or other perl programs that are propietary. (stores,weather,search engine,galleries)
Another feature that would be excellent is a link script that updates news from other sites or internally using regular expressions to strip the latest hyperlinks and store in a cache. (free government sites, ubb forums) Then place them in a template with the latest in your busiest forums. This would work as anews type of hack but using your own ubb to keep it fresh.

They call this script clipper on the www.anaconda.net It is propietary from their site. I also had a free program that was called webpluck that did the same url stripping type of things using regular expressions. Then using ssi you could customize the front page of the portal as you would like.

I use ssi calls on some propietary news scripts that allow customization to integrate my portal.
Sure would be nice to see ubb allow this type of portal integration.

I suppose the other ssi programs could be integrated with the various html templates? correct?
Posted By: Exstatica Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/05/2002 10:18 PM
Well i started a development of a portal system, but i had no time to do anything, but it was intergrated with newspro, and a couple of other pieces of software, running both perl, and php, all controlled by the ubb software.

But like i said i had no time, i have to go back and work on it again and do some upgrades

http://www.4themusik.com/cgi-bin/ubb/index.cgi

you can see it there smile
Posted By: Mijae.2756 Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 3:25 AM
Very nice, and I also liked that plastiqueweb thingy a LOT!
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 1:08 PM
quote:
what do u think?

(yes wink )

well DPK,

i'm not capable of thinking. my psychiatrist says that will cost extra. that's why i come here... wink
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 9:15 PM
OK, question (I am working on the b1 right now). Do you prefer the layout here:

https://ubbdev.com/

or do you prefer each section to have it's own seperate table like here:

http://www.plastiqueweb.com/core/html/
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 10:33 PM
I kinda like the seperate tables. I have built some of my pages to match my UBB (in looks only) and I seperated the tables there. Click here for a demo of the page.
Posted By: Corona Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 10:33 PM
I prefer ubbdev.com.

Its cleaner. plastiqueweb is nice, but...

no tabled seperation of the news bugs my eyes out.

Too much happening on the plastiqueweb makes it feel a bit confusing.
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 10:34 PM
I like the second one, Plastiqueweb better, but either one would be a great addition.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 10:36 PM
ok, differing views.... nice smile

I'll be working on the front page today with something in between what we have now, plastique's, and netwerkin's layout smile
Posted By: Corona Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 10:36 PM
Xpert, your site is gorgeous.
Posted By: smilesforu Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 11:13 PM
The ubb tables for separation
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/06/2002 11:38 PM
Allen,

I thought that Plastiqueweb was cool and the most aesthetically pleasing. couldn't you guys implement both designs as skins or style templates?

hey Netwerkin,

what portal script are you using here?:

http://www.netwerkin.net/forum/portal_content.asp
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/07/2002 4:33 PM
quote:
Allen,

I thought that Plastiqueweb was cool and the most aesthetically pleasing. couldn't you guys implement both designs as skins or style templates?

I agree. How about coming up with 3-4 different templates, or one that's easily editable or configurable in the CP?

BTW, this portal looks to be an awesome thing! I can't wait till it's done! smile
Posted By: Marvin_FFM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/08/2002 12:42 AM
Hell...damn it !

While I´m sittin here the last 48 hours and try to figure out how a misc of ubb addons could work in a sort of portal on my homeserver this thread is on the fast lane. Whatever - should come back more often to this site..

But back to the topic: definitly I prefer the templates solution. So far as I found out, it´s quiet easy to do and the outcome - especially for developing new style-templates hacks for portal-sites - would make handling out of the box extremly pleasant.

A few other guys made the suggestion before - what´s about implementation of MySQL in your B1-version, Allen?

Bye,
Marv.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/09/2002 9:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin_FFM:
A few other guys made the suggestion before - what´s about implementation of MySQL in your B1-version, Allen?

You are saying you never wanna see it released? tipsy
Posted By: JungleMonkey Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/10/2002 6:58 AM
I love this idea, I don't really have a NEED for this idea, but I LOVE this idea. However a lot of us (including me) do not have access to MySQL, and I don't think that making UBB require more then it does in the original requirements list would be a good idea, nobody likes seeing something great that's free (as a hack would be) and not being able to use it because they didn't have the right stuff to run it.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/10/2002 10:12 AM
another portal example:

http://wbbhacks.com/portal.php

in case you don't have enough...

i know it runs PHP & it's not UBB, but anyway... it's an example for you...
Posted By: Marvin_FFM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/10/2002 5:23 PM
quote:
You are saying you never wanna see it released? tipsy

Hell... noooo laugh
Just spoke out loud what´s in my mind. Don´t wanna sink this ship before it´s gone into #1 beta-round wink

Take it as friendly tip on your shoulder - you could add this suggestion to your to-do-list for those long, boring, uncomfortable and cold nights of winter 2002 smile laugh
Posted By: Casper Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/10/2002 7:35 PM
quote:
another portal example:

http://wbbhacks.com/portal.php

in case you don't have enough...

i know it runs PHP & it's not UBB, but anyway... it's an example for you...

I really like their download section on their front page. Telling you how many times it has been downloaded, size, etc....

This would be a nice addition. (or a seperate hack to modify a forum dedicated to downloads.)
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/13/2002 7:33 PM
Hey gang! Any update when we might see the first public beta of this?? Not that I'm in a hurry. Well, ok, I am... laugh We're all looking forward to this at my BB.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/13/2002 10:04 PM
OK guys.... just had a flash of brilliance (@ least i think it's brilliant laugh ). here goes:

what if the portal had a feature that integrated IRC, ICQ, MSN, AIM, & Yahoo! instant messaging? (maybe even integrate/embed Trillian since it already does all these things(?)) i.e. a conference or 1-to-1 chat session could take place on your portal site by simply embedding the IM controls into a portal page/section or the BB.

members could initiate a private IM chat w/ one individual or join an IM/IRC conference session involving all forum members. there could also be a feature to optionally log all public, conference IM/IRC sessions to a text files or threads that contained everything that was talked about in the public conference, the conferences could also be just dumped to a text file then just hyperlinked from a thread. this way public conferences could be viewed later for reference, etc. sound cool?

let me know what you think.... later
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/14/2002 3:39 AM
eh?
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/14/2002 3:52 AM
quote:
eh?

ummm..., you mind elaborating a little on that DPK?

TO ALL:

here's an ASP board that supports skins (another example for the developers):

http://www.toastforums.com/toast/toast.asp

i think it's very cool how simple they have made their skinning function. it only involves selecting a skin from a drop down menu.
Posted By: dende Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/14/2002 4:50 AM
Yea, UBBThreads uses that skinning method also. smile
Posted By: Mijae.2756 Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/17/2002 5:56 PM
I cant wait for this! I wrote a small portal but it lacks most of the stuff I need tipsy
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/17/2002 6:21 PM
This'll be great, vbportal is good, but not good enough.. tipsy
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/20/2002 9:51 PM
Greetings!

Any updates? It's been awhile. Is it still being developed?
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/23/2002 10:29 PM
Is a rough beta (or an alpha) version of this near completion? A few of us are getting a little restless waiting for it. wink laugh Thanks! smile
Posted By: dende Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/24/2002 9:11 PM
Ditto.. I'm postponing the release of my site and UBB until this comes out.
Posted By: Henry8th Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 02/25/2002 5:03 PM
i cannot wait to test this out wink

take your time guys and make it special smile
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 3:18 PM
Any update guys? Still working on it, put it aside for something else????
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 8:00 PM
Any update would be a good thing right now. I'm sure quite a few of us are waiting for some word on the progress and maybe a projected date for a beta release.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 8:20 PM
DPK is still working on v2, I am still working on v1 - trying to get ssi's of latest polls to the front page... not a whole lotta fun yet laugh I'll post some work on the poll stuff this weekend if I can get time away from working my 2 jobs, running my personal site and the 3 other sites I run, going to the state basketball playoffs, attending 3 church services Sunday (I play/sing in the band), going to the gym on Saturday and playing 6-8 volleyball games on Sunday afternoon. I think I can squeeze an extra 20-30 min in there some where... wink Oh yeah, we're launching the ezine and updating the design here saturday as well... hmmmm...

Basically v1 (as mentioned before) will be a loose compilation of available mods kept apart so that components can be updated independently... v2 will be where the integration comes in.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 8:26 PM
this weekend i plan to nap a lot wink
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 8:38 PM
quote:
DPK is still working on v2, I am still working on v1 - trying to get ssi's of latest polls to the front page... not a whole lotta fun yet laugh I'll post some work on the poll stuff this weekend if I can get time away from working my 2 jobs, running my personal site and the 3 other sites I run, going to the state basketball playoffs, attending 3 church services Sunday (I play/sing in the band), going to the gym on Saturday and playing 6-8 volleyball games on Sunday afternoon. I think I can squeeze an extra 20-30 min in there some where... wink Oh yeah, we're launching the ezine and updating the design here saturday as well... hmmmm...

Basically v1 (as mentioned before) will be a loose compilation of available mods kept apart so that components can be updated independently... v2 will be where the integration comes in.

You're one of the few people I know that has a schedule that's worse than mine...
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 9:04 PM
Hey, thanks a lot for the update. As far as schedule goes, I don't see where the problem is... laugh eek

Been typing my fingers off lately creating new buttons and logos for both the forums and the web page that goes along with it.

Can't wait to see what the new portal is shaping up as... cool

Truckers Road Message Forums
Posted By: aleina Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 10:50 PM
Allen, with the amount of sleep you usually get, there won't be a problem wink tipsy

aleina
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/01/2002 10:57 PM
no comments fom the swedish peanut gallery tipsy
Posted By: aleina Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/02/2002 12:20 AM
*yawn*
Posted By: Laura_ubb Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/07/2002 1:40 AM
*sighs*
Posted By: yors Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/07/2002 2:03 PM
*watches*
Posted By: alex-and-r Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/07/2002 2:43 PM
Community still have nothing to test, but THANK YOU GUYS!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! Cause the idea is REEEEEAAAAAAALY GREAT.
One my friend and i tryed to start the project like this, but becouse of my lack of perl knowledge and his lack of time, the project is actually dead now... frown
So i'm VERY exited 'bout this time.
If this is going to rezult in any usable piece of code, that will be JUST GREAT!!!
Thank you guys! (One more time wink )
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/07/2002 4:56 PM
Yet another post from me saying I can't wait! wink laugh
Posted By: adaplant Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/09/2002 8:28 PM
quote:
Any update would be a good thing right now. I'm sure quite a few of us are waiting for some word on the progress and maybe a projected date for a beta release.
Ditto...
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/09/2002 10:31 PM
This is so fascinating watching ideas become reality.

I am like everyone else--waiting anxiously to how it all turns out.

Thanks in advance for all the hard work/effort put forth.
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/09/2002 10:35 PM
quote:
An error has occured:

Undefined subroutine &main::ubb_mail_tng called at D:/216.205.119.230/ubbcgi/ubb_new_reply.cgi line 641.

Please inform the board administration of this error so that they may fix the problem. Thank you!

Whoa, when I replied to this forum, I received this error message (in the area where you can see others' posts) ... and a pop-up window that said something like a "stack" error ...
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/09/2002 10:39 PM
Okay -- it happened again when I replied w/the error, and this time I wrote down the message of the pop-up; it said:

quote:
Stack overflow at line 971
What happens, too, is that the page freezes at the screen w/the verbiage--"Sit tight ... taking you back ..."
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/13/2002 2:36 PM
Any news yet guys? I know you're hard at work, but are getting excited about it.

If anyone is interested, at this point, in another example of a portal that integrates a message forum, you can check this one out.

Truckers Road II
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/16/2002 6:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by WDFA in the middle of February:
Is a rough beta (or an alpha) version of this near completion? A few of us are getting a little restless waiting for it. wink laugh

Can we consider this project to be put on an indefinite hiatus? Anything? I know you guys are busy, but any update would be nice. smile
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/18/2002 2:50 PM
I agree, an update would be nice, even if it's just to tell us the project is on hold. I guess it's safe to assume this is a dead project as we've not heard anything about it now in quite some time.
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/21/2002 2:45 PM
Has anyone found a portal that will work with UBB and DOESN'T require PHP? I've been all over the web and havn't been able to find such a thing. I found one nice setup, but it won't integrate with UBB and doesn't even allow for private forums, so it's pretty much useless. However, the interface IS what I've been looking for.
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/21/2002 6:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mi_trucker:
Has anyone found a portal that will work with UBB and DOESN'T require PHP? I've been all over the web and havn't been able to find such a thing. I found one nice setup, but it won't integrate with UBB and doesn't even allow for private forums, so it's pretty much useless. However, the interface IS what I've been looking for.

I'll keep my eyes open for one. It's unfortunate that this one had to die... frown
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/21/2002 8:43 PM
I agree. I had really high hopes for this. I had one going that was, like I said, pretty cool, but I just couldn't integrate the UBB into it the way I wanted to. It had classifieds, auto-news, articles you could write in, links, etc. Setup in less than 5 minutes too.

Right now I'm using a script from ODP++ to run my web page's entry page and link to the UBB off that so I have a sort of portal type going.

Truckers Road
Posted By: ThE_DeaD69 Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/28/2002 2:47 AM
well...howz it comming? good? and demos? prevews? Screnshots?
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/28/2002 3:00 AM
Personally, I've given up on it. I'm looking at a different server to host my forums and may switch to UBBthreads or some other PHP based software as it appears there is no portal forthcoming that we can use if our host doesn't support PHP. I've now moved everything over to a different server and am using PostNuke. Very nice program.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/30/2002 6:44 AM
I'd keep waiting, its being worked on.. we're volenteers remember.
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/30/2002 11:34 AM
instead of complaining, etc. about the progress of the portal why not start working on your own portal designs? with so much pre-built stuff on the web there's no reason why _anyone_ can't build a UBB Portal of their own.
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/30/2002 3:20 PM
All most of us wanted was just some assurance it was still being developed. I'm very patient, but like updates. Not all of us are programmers and must rely on others.

Plus, all the portals I looked at were very limited and would not integrate with UBB or they used PHP to run and not all ISP's support PHP, but most support Perl and cgi, which is the dilema I was in. However, I've since switched to a different host which does support PHP and as mentioned, am now using Postnuke, which is working out very well.

Truckers Road
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/30/2002 9:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Hard:
I'd keep waiting, its being worked on.. we're volenteers remember.

Thanks for the update, Greg cool

quote:
Originally posted by #1 Stunna:
instead of complaining, etc. about the progress of the portal why not start working on your own portal designs? with so much pre-built stuff on the web there's no reason why _anyone_ can't build a UBB Portal of their own.

I don't think any of us were really complaining. We were gracious and appreciative when inquiring about the project's status, and merely showing disappointment when the project's volunteers (who post on these boards several times a day every day wink ) hadn't responded in weeks to repeated requests for an update.

I realize that most everyone has busy schedules and any time devoted to working on the portal is coming out of their own spare time. No one is getting paid for developing this, so it's understandable why this is a low priority for them.

BTW, #1 Stunna, I have scoured the web for "pre-built stuff" that would be tightly integrated with the UBB AND run without using PHP, but I haven't found anything. frown That's why I'm so anxious for a beta of the UBB Portal. wink
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/31/2002 1:03 AM
didn't mean to offend anyone. the point i was trying to make is that it isn't that hard to put together a portal of your own w/ the wide availability of pre-built scripts on the web. true most of those scripts will require PHP, but it is possible. i'm sure that if everyone that is *patiently* waiting here would band together and devise a solution it could be achieved in no time. someone (i think mi_tucker) mentioned that they had a semi-functional portal running within 5 minutes.
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 03/31/2002 3:39 PM
Yes, I did have a portal running in about 5 minutes, but it was done in ASP. It was not very configurable and used it's own message forums, which were very crude. It also was not that easy to configure to your own tastes. PostNuke is very superior to the non-php ones I found and I tossed them out almost as soon as I looked at them.

I now run PostNuke as I have changed servers to one that allows PHP. However, I would be very willing to test whatever the guys here come up with for those non-php providers.

I just wish they would give us an update, say weekly, even if only to say they are still working on it. This is NOT a project they are going to be able to write in a couple of hours, at least not to have one that works the way I'm sure everyone would like it to work.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/02/2002 1:20 AM
Sorry for the non-news, we are still working on it [Linked Image]

I'd like to promise a date.. but haven't met any so far [Linked Image]

------------------
- Allen [Linked Image]
- somebody is stealing ubbdev\'s design
Posted By: mi_trucker Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/02/2002 2:29 PM
Thanks Allen, I for one appreciate the update. While I've switched servers to run PostNuke, I'd still like to have something that would integrate the ubb right into it without a lot of hacking, etc.
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/03/2002 6:23 PM
quote:

Thanks, Allen. smile
Posted By: alex-and-r Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/04/2002 3:11 PM
quote:

AllenAyres, tank you anyway! We were waiting for ANY information. Now we know that there is still something to wait for and even not knowing the date doesn't upste us.
We know that the work is going on, so we CAN wait! wink

ThankS!
Posted By: big-deal Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/15/2002 12:39 PM
Bump
Posted By: Variables Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/15/2002 1:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mi_trucker:
I now run PostNuke as I have changed servers to one that allows PHP. However, I would be very willing to test whatever the guys here come up with for those non-php providers.

I agree that Postnuke is great and that this software can speed up the process of portal development. The new modules written for this software can implement cgi's right into the main templates (themes), so the whole ubb can intergrate fast in it.

But it's an option, not the solution because there are many others.
Posted By: bizkit73 Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 04/21/2002 9:27 PM
If you ask me(which noone did), I would say that this project could go on forever. As many updates and bug fixes and new releases that infopop come out with, it would be damn hard to keep up with. So that is just my 2 pennies. smile
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 05/05/2002 3:01 AM
The obligatory bump. laugh

Now that 6.3 is right around the corner with it's templates and such, I hope that work on the UBBPortal will continue as planned. Thanks, guys. smile
Posted By: SuperSaiyan-Jin Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 05/22/2002 3:26 PM
Any news on hows it going?

Cheers

SSJ
Posted By: Slasher Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 06/07/2002 12:13 PM
any news?
Posted By: Kwik Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/04/2002 12:24 PM
... yet?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/04/2002 3:13 PM
I'm using PostNuke now. It's hopeless trying to put in PHP SSI calls in it though.

*Needs portal* tipsy
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/06/2002 8:18 PM
I'm afraid that this may be a dead issue.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/06/2002 8:59 PM
The developer for this project is...well...not around... so.. untill a developer can begin work on the portal, its a dead issue IMO.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/06/2002 10:03 PM
I obviously don't have the experience needed to do it but I sure as hell have the desire. If you look at the Post(PHP)Nuke movement you'll see what can happen when a group of people cooperate on a project. There is no valid reason why there can't be a UBB Portal project like that if the right people are approached and join in the effort.

I guess there would have to be a "project central" and we would have to recruit the people to do it.

Edit: I would be happy to open a forum at Netwerkin for this project if there is enough interest.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/06/2002 10:59 PM
Hmmm, I wonder what the legalities are in opening a forum for that?
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 3:43 AM
Edit-double post.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 3:45 AM
The only way I can see a Post Nuke and UBB link up is the PHP call thats used in UBBNews etc. (Or you can use it if your calling to a .php page) But Post Nuke is still pretty new to me. All I know if you need to create a block of some sort and put the code in. Or something like that.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 4:16 AM
I have Postnuke running and have a couple PHP forums that sync up no problemo. I imagine threads should be easy to do. we know what the short comings for getting UBB to work are. That's why I'm talking about a project that is "similar" to the way that postnuke is being developed but for UBB Portal instead.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 4:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
The only way I can see a Post Nuke and UBB link up is the PHP call thats used in UBBNews etc. (Or you can use it if your calling to a .php page) But Post Nuke is still pretty new to me. All I know if you need to create a block of some sort and put the code in. Or something like that.

Editing of apaches config files to allow SSI calls to php pages would work. smile
Posted By: [ #1 Stunna ] Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 5:52 AM
why don't we start an Open Source project using PostNuke or *other* as a base? if it's Open Source we can easily get hosting and other resources from SourceForge or any other Open Source hosting sites.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 6:42 AM
I'm glad we're on the right track with PN. I'm still new to it though, only been using it fdor 2 weeks or so. I know how the blocks and that work, but no idea on where the code should be added etc.

Still learning.
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 7:19 AM
LD, go to www.madhatt.info and check out the Encompass engine.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 9:47 AM
OMG OMG I found something....

http://www.cyberty.nl/

It uses UBBNews and Latest Threads and is on PN!

Maybe he could give us code...:/
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 6:13 PM
It doesn't have the one thing that I feel it absolutely needs and that's a single login.
Posted By: CTM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/07/2002 7:33 PM
*Goes to find Variables*

I've been wanting to know how to do that for ages.. frown
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/08/2002 3:56 AM
I'm gonna PM him to check this thread.
Posted By: Variables Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/08/2002 5:19 AM
We don't use ubb news but the latest threads. To do this go to your postnuke admin section and choose to make a new block. It has to be a core/php block and put this in it:

include ("http://www.yoursite.com/ubb/latest_threads_1.html");

wink
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/08/2002 6:37 AM
Sounds easy enough.

Thanks Variables. smile
Posted By: CTM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/08/2002 2:47 PM
Bah, I forgot to add the space after include... shocked

Thanks Variables smile
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/09/2002 3:00 AM
quote:
why don't we start an Open Source project using PostNuke or *other* as a base? if it's Open Source we can easily get hosting and other resources from SourceForge or any other Open Source hosting sites.

Because we have to use ubb's datafiles and routines to interface with the portal, would be easier if it was the same language and database system..
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/09/2002 3:46 AM
Well I got WOL and Latest Threads on my PN, and I'm glad somehow something from the UBB shows up on PN. smile

Now for more. laugh
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/10/2002 4:55 PM
Allen eluded that a beta of the UBBPortal is close to being done. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/10/2002 7:21 PM
I spent a good while working on it last night... just the beginning stages of layout. We'll have some announcements regarding ubb.portal development tonight.
Posted By: CTM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/10/2002 9:24 PM
Fantastic! smile

Thanks to everyone who's working on this smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/11/2002 3:57 AM
This is very exciting news....
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/11/2002 4:05 AM
Yipee! laugh
Posted By: tackaberry Re: IDEA: UBBPortal? - 07/11/2002 6:29 PM
This thread is being closed so that people can start and reply to others in this forum. Enjoy!
© UBB.Developers