UBB.Dev
Posted By: Bookie Blamoholics eH? - 07/26/2002 10:52 PM
It's been a while since I had a post in here... this time it is for my new site called "Blamoholics". wink It is going to be a graphics community and a place for me to show off the stuff I make. laugh Most of the site isn't really done yet, but the forums are near completion. I have done the forums summary, forum page, and topic page so far, and I do plan on releasing the templates sometime soon. Big thanks goes to LK for doing the status/avatar on the header. Anyway, heres the site... just click on the forum link. laugh

http://www.blamoholics.com/
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 12:27 AM
The biggest problems I had with the forums were the text size and when you click on the logo. I thought that the text size was generally too small, and it was hard to read in places (because there isn't very much contrast between the shades of gray).

Regarding the forum logo, it's expected that it will take you back to a home page of some sort when you click on it, yet nothing happens. Sure, there's that tiny little Home button on the nav bar, but it's small and blends in with the rest of the page.

Another knock on the text size when viewing the page in IE: you can't adjust it at all. Luckily for me, I'm a Mozilla user, so I don't suffer from this limitation. However, if I were an IE user, I probably wouldn't stick around the site for long because it's just too hard to read.
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 12:32 AM
Thanks MJ, I forgot about linking the logo, and I'll do that ASAP. wink

Now for the text size... I like it small, and proabably most users won't like it, so I will see if I can wrok something in to adjust it for some users that do not like it small. laugh

Very helpful, I appreciate it. laugh
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 1:14 AM
Since you like the text size small, here's my suggestion. It's OK to start off with it small by default, as long as people can actually adjust it to their liking. You've got a couple of choices here. You could:
  • Provide an alternate style sheet with large fonts; or
  • Use a measurement unit for "font-size" that isn't absolute.

Personally, I like the second idea best. Try using percentages or ems--both are units that allow users to make the font larger or smaller. For instance, your description font would be roughly .6em--still very small. wink And remember, you've got next to no control of font size in non-IE browsers because of the great accessibility features built into them. wink
Posted By: Charles Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 1:23 AM
I agree for the text size. On the main Page I can't read the dropdown text smile
Posted By: Thermit Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 1:26 AM
Looks quite sharp. I like it.

My only suggestion is to tweak your rotating icon so that it moves a bit slower. The faster an animated gif is, the more likely it will look jerky, as the OS occasionaly pauses to do something else.
Posted By: ScottRoberts Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 2:52 AM
My opinion...you've got to get rid of what you have on your home page. Not only do you have no links to your site sections without flash, but you're using mystery meat navigation AND the text is completely unreadable once you mouse over the images. Try to make your page usable, not just good-looking. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 5:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mattjacob:
Since you like the text size small, here's my suggestion. It's OK to start off with it small by default, as long as people can actually adjust it to their liking. You've got a couple of choices here. You could:
  • Provide an alternate style sheet with large fonts; or
  • Use a measurement unit for "font-size" that isn't absolute.

Personally, I like the second idea best. Try using percentages or ems--both are units that allow users to make the font larger or smaller. For instance, your description font would be roughly .6em--still very small. wink And remember, you've got next to no control of font size in non-IE browsers because of the great accessibility features built into them. wink

Thanks Matt, I think I am just going to make a second theme with bigger font sizes and install MyStyle. I haven't quite learned about ems, but I will look into it. laugh
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck:
I agree for the text size. On the main Page I can't read the dropdown text smile
It's in the works. laugh
quote:
[qb]Originally posted by Thermit:

My only suggestion is to tweak your rotating icon so that it moves a bit slower. The faster an animated gif is, the more likely it will look jerky, as the OS occasionaly pauses to do something else.
[/qb]
The second and fourth frame in the animation are a little jagged, and the faster its going the harder it is to notice it. laugh

quote:
Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
My opinion...you've got to get rid of what you have on your home page. Not only do you have no links to your site sections without flash, but you're using mystery meat navigation AND the text is completely unreadable once you mouse over the images. Try to make your page usable, not just good-looking. :rolleyes:
Did I forget to tell you that the site is totally under construction, and I have not finished the main page yet. I just put up the flash thing as a temporary menu to get to the forums as I am not done the index page yet.

Hmm.. maybe I will make a different template set to release, this wasn't quite as good as I was hoping. smash
Posted By: RandyM Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 5:53 AM
All I have to say is that Bookie has outdone himself again. You always were an inspiration to me and these templates are gonna rock.

Keep up the good work, when you're done it'll be great!
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 6:51 AM
Thanks X. wink

I just realized I had the text on the intro to use device fonts, so if you dont have the font I used you will get a smaller, uglier font... will fix that tommorow.
Posted By: VoR Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 7:18 AM
LOL... now didn't I hear something about that font earlier?

No kidding though; I'm honored to be watching your creative steps Bookie. You're a very talented man.
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 7:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by VoR:
LOL... now didn't I hear something about that font earlier?
What on earth are you talking about?! tipsy wink

Thanks, it's the encoragement I get from you guys that keeps me doing this stuff. laugh
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 8:27 AM
Very nice Bookie. smile

*Encourages* tipsy
Posted By: Dennis Jones Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 4:25 PM
Very nice bookie.
And there was me thinking clan 316 was the ****test hot forum.

This one beats alot of stuff Ive seen.

Text size is my only problem.
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 5:02 PM
Thanks, made a few updates to the form colors/size, font size adjusted, and the header image is linked to the main page. laugh
Posted By: CTM Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/27/2002 8:35 PM
Is it just me who can read the text, or has Bookie changed it since? wink

Great work Bookie, I wish I could make 'em like you smile
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 3:43 AM
Whoa...I'm definitely a fan. I like the small title, "Clan 3.16" at the left of the URL. The text size is good for me...Big or small, as long as they are readible it's all good. smile

My only suggestion is your copyright, "All content on this website are belong to me" should read, "All content on this website belong to me". tipsy
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 4:09 AM
Yes, you don't want another scandal like what happened to me Bookie to happen again. wink
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 4:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Whoa...I'm definitely a fan. I like the small title, "Clan 3.16" at the left of the URL. The text size is good for me...Big or small, as long as they are readible it's all good. smile

My only suggestion is your copyright, "All content on this website are belong to me" should read, "All content on this website belong to me". tipsy
Haha... haven't quite got all the "Clan 3:16" titles out yet... where are you seeing it?

The copyright is kind of a joke for those who are gamers... there was an old japanese game that was translated to english, and the translation was horrible... a popular phrase from the game that made practivcally no sense was "All your base are belong to us" wink Anyway... thats why its like that. tipsy

Thanks. laugh
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 5:02 AM
Hehe...I somehow remember that quote, "All your base are belong to us". The only reference to your Clan 3:16 is on the browser addy bar left of the URL. Because I bookmarked your site I also see it in the bookmark icon. No biggie. I wasn't sure if you wanted "Clan 3:16" there. smile
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 5:41 AM
Ah, haha. I get that too, never realized it was because I had it bookmarked. laugh
Posted By: CTM Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 11:27 AM
Haha, so I'm not the only one who remembers Zero Wing... tipsy

Take off every 'Zig' !!

... wink

(By the way, Bookie, I look forward to seeing the Gallery section of the site; I bet it will be the best graphics repository EVER! laugh )
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/28/2002 4:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
All your quote are belong to us.
Posted By: dmf sauce Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/29/2002 8:29 PM
wow, awesome forums!

how did you get the font size that size : it's perfect
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/29/2002 11:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by matt jacob:
All your quote are belong to us.
Yeah yeah... tipsy
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Blamoholics eH? - 07/30/2002 8:52 AM
Very nice Bookie laugh I am drooling over the soon-to-be-released templates laugh
Posted By: LK Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/03/2002 9:08 AM
Magnifique! smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/04/2002 4:31 AM
Of course it looks great, and somehow happens just as I'm building a super secret new netwerkin...hahahaha (inside joke).
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/04/2002 6:31 AM
Everything's a secret these days. smile

Keep up the good work Bookster. smile
Posted By: xDavid1122x Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/05/2002 6:35 AM
hey Lord Dexrter nice button......

I always wanted to know where people get that font..... or maybe its just me.... that font looks like a tecnial thing...
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/05/2002 9:11 AM
David, please do not go off-topic.

Maybe comment on Blamaholics, what this thread is actually for.
Posted By: drkknght Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/06/2002 10:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
I am drooling over the soon-to-be-released templates laugh
eh??

is true? (the templates, not the drooling)

you gonna share'em, book?
Posted By: Bookie Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/07/2002 1:35 AM
Am I ever... expect them very soon. laugh
Posted By: dende Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/07/2002 2:51 AM
We love you Bookie! laugh

I love Blamoholics, it looks fantastic.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Blamoholics eH? - 08/07/2002 5:59 AM
I have them...Hahahahahaha
© UBB.Developers