UBB.Dev
Posted By: catcherman More tips!! - 07/17/2003 8:33 PM
This forum has gone dead.

What are some of your tips for good discussion content?

How do you seed your site and how do you bring in new members?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 6:41 AM
hmm... right now I've got a book that we're going chapter by chapter in topics to talk about - it's a book that has short chapters with discussion questions at the end, so it's perfect smile

http://www.praisecafe.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=9
Posted By: catcherman Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 8:20 AM
Allen, have you seen Jay Yelas\' book that he's offering for free? You'd be interested in it.

Read the 4th reply.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 8:38 AM
nice smile thank you smile

That book might work great in our men's forum, we can always use something a little more structured to discuss smile
Posted By: catcherman Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 8:48 AM
Plus, have them call that number and they can still get the book for free.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 6:25 PM
Will do, thank you.. I have a friend that runs a men's site too www.menshelp.org , he'll be interested too I'm sure smile

What do you do for conversation stimulation?
Posted By: catcherman Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 7:37 PM
Well, we have some games that keep some people coming back every day. One of them is the "One Word Game." I started a thread with one word and asked them to reply with one word that relates to the word posted above it. For example:

Peanut
Jimmy Carter (Proper names are okay)
President
War
Iraq
etc.

Each one is a reply from a different user.

Another game is the continuous story we write together. It's a fictional story and anything goes as long as a 9 year old would be allowed to read it.
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: More tips!! - 07/18/2003 10:42 PM
Word Association games are fun and lasting. smile One that I really like is the same principle as a regular word association, but the difference here is that there is a theme (e.g., movies, actors/actresses, bands/singer, books, etc.) and the first letter of any reply MUST match the last letter of the previous replied post. Example:

Movie-Word Association Game

Poster 1: Charles Angels (ends with letter "S")

Poster 2: Superman (started with letter "S" and ends with letter "N")

Poster 3: Never Been Kissed (started with letter "N")

Now poster #4's reply will start with the letter "D" and so forth. thumbsup

---------------

It's also hard to predict which threads and/or forums will receive the most activity. Some catch, some don't; some lapse, some roll 27/7. I think there is a correlation between age and forum activity or longivity of a particular thread. Probably having strictly a community board will maintain more activity consistently than say like a gaming site wink which members' split their free time between gaming and the forums...More than likely the gaming will score most of their time. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: More tips!! - 07/22/2003 8:36 PM
those are pretty good ideas, thank you smile

The number one way to improve traffic and the signal : noise ratio is to be an involved admin - read and post something daily. If it's not important to you, then it won't be to others, at least for long.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: More tips!! - 08/23/2003 10:41 AM
on that note, I'm back smile
Posted By: catcherman Re: More tips!! - 08/23/2003 8:09 PM
LOL - way to prove your point Allen.
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: More tips!! - 08/25/2003 6:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
on that note, I'm back smile
I think I'm still lost in the mix. tipsy
Posted By: catcherman Re: More tips!! - 09/30/2003 6:55 PM
Well, I'd like to hear of more forum word games. Does anyone else have some they have had success with?
Posted By: catcherman Re: More tips!! - 09/30/2003 7:05 PM
Found this list in an older thread:

quote:
Originally posted by scats:
There was a thread like this before, but I need a refresher. I have a number of game threads on my board, but I'm always on the lookout for new ones, especially since my popular ones are crufty 60/70+ page monsters.

The most popular ones I have are:

• Word association
• Q&A
• A&Q <-- love this one... you leave a random answer and the next person has to come up with a question for it
• Random thoughts <-- just like it sounds
• 3 or 5-word never-ending story <-- only allowed 3 or 5 words per post, continue the story
• Alphabet story <-- same, you post one sentence only and it has to start with the next letter in the alphabet
• Caption contests
• Movie 20-questions
• Have you ever <-- where you inquire only about things you've done yourself
• Limericks

What else is out there? smile
Maybe there are more?
© UBB.Developers