UBB.Dev
Posted By: AllenAyres Bikes - 08/17/2005 12:51 AM
With the recent 7th-in-a-row Tour-du-Lance safely in tow, I've decided I should bike more/some/ more than the none I do now. Actually my doc said today I need to lose some weight, I figure biking is the best way to do it.

Anyone here bike? Got a fave site where I can learn what the best bike for my area and goals are?
Posted By: LK Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 1:33 AM
I bike 'round the neighborhood, does it count? tipsy
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 1:41 AM
Yes, that's the kind of riding I'm going to do. Do you have a particular bike you prefer?
Posted By: LK Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 1:50 AM
I've got a Diamondback (Raleigh) simple mountain bike, but if you want a serious, pretty expensive bike I'd recommend Specialized.
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 3:10 AM
After I got hit by a car on my Peugot I got a Nishiki Alien...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 6:18 AM
You guys use those for mountain/off-road riding?

My cello instructor has a 'specialized' and yes, it looks too expensive eek I think I'll be using it more on the street than a mountain, so I may look more for the 'comfort' style - you sit more upright in it.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 6:54 AM
I'd ride a bike but I don't know how I am on the weight balance issue... Anyone know what the structual integraty weight limit of a bike is anyway? I guess I should be more worried about the tires lol...
Posted By: LK Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 11:24 AM
There's no way you're too fat for a bike, unless you weigh like 500 pounds tipsy

Allen, I don't usually use it for off-road riding, but mountain bikes still ride well on roads and if I (rarely) need to ride off-road, I can do that smile
Posted By: Burak Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 12:54 PM
Originally posted by LK:

Allen, I don't usually use it for off-road riding, but mountain bikes still ride well on roads and if I (rarely) need to ride off-road, I can do that smile
You're right. mountain bikes can be used anywere and they are reliable. But you have to buy a mudguard since 99% of this bikes don't have it and you can get wet and muddy if you ride when it rains tipsy (especially the back wheel is responsible for that)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 4:16 PM
And it rains here a lot - mud-guards all around smile I may go to a local bike shop and see what fits this weekend smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 5:31 PM
Originally posted by LK:

There's no way you're too fat for a bike, unless you weigh like 500 pounds tipsy
~330lbs
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 9:25 PM
well there you go, even more reason to ride one smile
Posted By: Burak Re: Bikes - 08/17/2005 11:39 PM
uhm... what's the kg equal of this lbs? you americans use weird units tipsy

btw, my bike is a "Castello - Terminator". A '93 model italian mountain bike. And it is not high quality tipsy The pedals drop after a month of using it and I re-constructed it to a turner and it was far more better than the original... I don't know if he's still alive but he did a good job smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/18/2005 1:27 AM
~330 lbs is something like 150kg smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Bikes - 08/18/2005 9:23 AM
Originally posted by Burak:

uhm... what's the kg equal of this lbs? you americans use weird units
330 pounds = 149.69 kilograms

I figured the standard tires would pop...
Posted By: LK Re: Bikes - 08/18/2005 12:58 PM
Just ask the bike salesperson smile or make sure your tires are well pumped up before riding... wink
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Bikes - 08/18/2005 5:35 PM
"am i too fat for this?"

lol
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/23/2005 3:50 AM
I'm looking at a "hybrid" comfort/ mountain bike - I may go cheap and Schwinn, or a little nicer with a Raleigh - a little more money, but seems like a good deal too.
Posted By: LK Re: Bikes - 08/23/2005 4:19 AM
Raleigh is really nice, I haven't ridden a Schwinn for ages but I heard it's also pretty good.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Bikes - 08/23/2005 6:04 PM
I mostly ride a recumbant LifeCycle smile

It's comfortable, has a great view of my tv and uses a heart rate monitor to keep me in the zone.

of course, it doesn't go very far ;p
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Bikes - 08/23/2005 6:21 PM
tipsy I've got an old upright lifecycle - it's too loud to watch tv on and a bit boring not going anywhere :pq
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Bikes - 08/24/2005 5:59 PM
I get far more use out of my Elliptical, but it's nice to hop on the bike now and then.

I also have a 20-something year old Peugeot racing bike, which is mounted on a performance trainer that hasn't seen the street in a few years.

What I really would like is a Kalkhoff bike. One of these days I'm going to bring one back from a trip to Germany
Posted By: J.C. Re: Bikes - 09/09/2005 2:17 AM
Originally posted by LK:

I bike 'round the neighborhood, does it count? tipsy

Yes tricycles count tipsy
© UBB.Developers