UBB.Dev
Posted By: sisterscape Secure Formmail script - 12/05/2002 6:29 PM
Well, I've decided it's time to remove the e-mail addresses from my website - one way to reduce spam. Instead, I'd like to use some sort of CGI (or PHP?) contact/response form. Nothing fancy. Just something simple but functional and SECURE to replace direct e-mail contact.

Could anyone suggest a script that would be both secure and something that a novice like me could figure out how to install? I think I can handle the HTML part . . . maybe. Just need to get the appropriate scripts on the server with permissions set correctly.

Thanks for your help!!
Posted By: JustDave Re: Secure Formmail script - 12/05/2002 6:52 PM
Have a look at Josh's contact form that does exactly what you want.

https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1
Posted By: sisterscape Re: Secure Formmail script - 12/05/2002 10:17 PM
Thanks for posting this. I took a look but it seems to be way more complicated than what I need. Maybe I wasn't clear . . . I need a script that is independent of a Threads board - one I can integrate into my site design. I don't know that I would be capable of extracting the relevant parts from all of Josh's options.

I do not need to collect a lot of info - it will be mostly for feedback/comments. Only questions might be name, e-mail and do you want to get on an e-mail list. Maybe I'm missing something here? I'm pretty new to this . . .
Posted By: navaho Re: Secure Formmail script - 12/05/2002 10:28 PM
They have one here:
http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/
Posted By: sisterscape Re: Secure Formmail script - 12/06/2002 1:23 AM
Thanks. I have downloaded a script from sourceforge and it looks like something I'll be able to figure out . . . sooner or later. Might take a few days. I'll post when it's up and running!
Posted By: sisterscape Victory!! - 12/07/2002 5:15 AM
Well, I finally got the form mail up and running . . . with a LOT of help from a friend. Ended up using Alien Form with which he was familiar. In addition to sending the info, it has a response page, an error page and an auto responder.

Check it out in action at www.saynotogmos.org/contact_us.htm

I'm sooooo happy!!!

Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: Victory!! - 12/08/2002 2:06 PM
If you need to hide a simple mailtto instead of a form you can also use:

code:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
user = "webmaster";
site = "hostboard.com";

document.write('<a href="mailto:' + user + '@' + site + '">');
document.write(user + '@' + site + '</a>');
// End -->
</script>

Posted By: sisterscape Re: Victory!! - 12/08/2002 5:53 PM
Thanks. Shall keep this on file. Might get a chance to use it some day. For now, the form takes care of the problem pretty nicely.
© UBB.Developers