UBB.Dev
Posted By: JustDave Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 4:36 PM
As reported on slashdot.org Eolas is the victor in the Eolas v. Microsoft court case over patent 5,838,906. This patent covers embeded objects that provide interactive content to users. A more descriptive explaination is below, taken from Eolas' own site.

Microsoft will be making changes to their browsers in response to the patent but there are many other browsers being created that this patent also affects. This patent also probably affects those that run websites with such embeded objects. (think java chat and flash)

I personally think that these far reaching patents that cover what I think are basic building blocks of the internet are plain wrong. Think about it, there have been patents on one click purchases??? or the idea that you can buy it now as apposed to later. Use frames? Your illegal! With luck at some point the tide will turn against such patents. It's just insane to think companies can patent such nonsense. Imagine if Henry Ford patented the assembly line or even the idea of four wheels on an automobile.

eolas.com description of the pattent:
U.S. Patent 5,838,906, Filed in October, 1994, Issued November 17, 1998
Inventors: Michael D. Doyle, David C. Martin and Cheong Ang

First demonstrated publicly in 1993, this invention lifted the glass for the first time from the hypermedia browser, enabling Web browsers for the first time to act as platforms for fully-interactive embedded applications. The patent covers Web browsers that support such currently popular technologies as ActiveX components, Java applets, and Navigator plug-ins. Eolas' advanced browser technology makes possible rich interactive online experiences for over 500 million Web users, worldwide.

Scary, isn't it?
Posted By: msula Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 4:41 PM
I should patent the act of breathing
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 4:43 PM
Yes it is. Its like everyone is trying to get a stranglehold on the internet these days. This patenting of concepts is getting out of hand. Its moved from patents for a way of making something to patents for having and idea to do something.
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 4:45 PM
[]Jeremy said:
I should patent the act of breathing [/]

Okay, as long as it doesn't infringe on my standing upright patent.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 4:59 PM
I have patented the art of "right clicking"....

just so you know.

DLWebMonkey has patented the art of the screenshot.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 5:04 PM
Screenshot this []https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/graemlinlibrary/butwiggle.gif[/]
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 5:06 PM
I also read that EU is voting on whether to pass a law like this or not, patenting ideas and such. I believe that's what's going on. But anyway, a lot of websites (especially GNU-related) are going to protest by switching the front page of their websites to some kind of protest message. I think they're actually doing this today....
Posted By: JustDave Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 5:17 PM
Here's a link with more links that may be related: http://linuxtoday.com/news/2001020501106PSCY

Posted By: AKD96 Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 5:22 PM
Yes, it is today. Here is an example... http://www.winehq.org
Posted By: JustDave Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 7:03 PM
Thanks. I hope they get things set straight. The lawyers are out of control. (ok I know that's to general but you know what I mean)

The redirect link is here: http://swpat.ffii.org/
Posted By: shortbus Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 10:50 PM
I actually think patenting these things is a great idea...
because right after Al Gore invented the internet, I patented the ability to link from one page to another.

Every time you click on a link on the net, you steal from me.
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 11:01 PM
Al Gore may have invented it but I patented it. Now every time someone uses the internet they're stealing from me. I'm compiling a list.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Are you infringing? - 08/28/2003 11:40 PM
I hope you got that patent in before BT did... http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=1820

You can almost safely bet that if it's a common feature of the net some idiot has tried and may have been succesful at patenting it. *sigh*
Posted By: shortbus Re: Are you infringing? - 08/29/2003 12:10 AM
well I'm sueing them then for sueing others who stole my shtuff.

Man, patenting anything internet is like patenting dirt.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Are you infringing? - 09/02/2003 8:52 PM
I um....patented the act of suing. You're all going down.
Posted By: AKD96 Re: Are you infringing? - 09/02/2003 8:56 PM
Oh yeah, I also own exclusive rights to the letter "e". I charge $0.0001 for each use.
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Are you infringing? - 09/02/2003 9:05 PM
My checks in the mail for my past uses of e. How much for a lifetime useage?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Are you infringing? - 09/02/2003 11:59 PM
I've patented carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen... you can have all the oxygen you want, but if you actually take a breath of air, your entire existence are belong to me.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Are you infringing? - 09/03/2003 12:04 AM
[]DLWebmaestro said:
Oh yeah, I also own exclusive rights to the letter "e". I charge $0.0001 for each use. [/]

In that cas I will n v r us anoth r ' ' v r again.
Posted By: shortbus Re: Are you infringing? - 09/03/2003 12:06 AM
well, I patented sex. I do not allow males to have it, without paying royalties, that includes masturbation, and women may only have it with me, with my permission of course.
© UBB.Developers