UBB.Dev
Posted By: Jamin Random question about OpenTopic - 03/09/2004 8:09 PM
Blah blah, this isn't the OpenTopic forum... but generally I find that the people here are a little more receptive to my random useless questions than they are over at IP. 'Tis one of the perks of going to Astros games with the owner of the site... hehe.

So, not that I ever had any intention of switching to OpenTopic... way out of my price range, can't download it, et al. But I noticed that since Eve got released, there seems to be absolutely no mention of OT whatsoever on the main Infopop site, and the only thing I found was one forum post by Ted that said they're no longer taking any new customers for it. But no real explanation why. Just a closed thread and that's that.

So does anyone know what happened to it? I thought that it was still supposed to be superior to UBB.x, what with the clusters and general betterness of the super-big database of doom vs. whichever SQL solution is used by UBB.x. So why all of a sudden did they start pretending it doesn't exist?

Yeah, that's just one of my random curiosity questions I've had for awhile. Carry on with your lives. Go about your business. Eat some nachos. Mmmm... nachos!

---Jamin
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/09/2004 10:17 PM
Why, Jamin, don't you know OpenTopic doesn't exist? It's a figment of your imagination...

OKay, seriously...

UBB.x 3.0.7 and OpenTopic 3.0.7 are the same identical application code-wise. The main difference between the two is that OpenTopic generally comes with an SLA, and is therefore considered an enterprise quality service.

Eve can be thought of as OpenTopic 4.0 - the code at Eve's core is an evolution of UBB.x & OpenTopic. It even comes in dedicated and clustered configurations, both of which can include SLAs... which makes Eve our current enterprise offering, replacing OpenTopic.

And that is why OpenTopic is mentioned nowhere on the site - Eve is the solution.
Posted By: Jamin Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/09/2004 10:57 PM
Aha, I gotcha. It all makes sense now! Companies that all of a sudden forget about one of their big products is just one of the things that sparks my interest. Thanks for the info.

---Jamin
Posted By: navaho Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/10/2004 9:07 PM
Or, to emulate Pink Jazz

Eve > OpenTopic.

Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/10/2004 10:18 PM
speakinawhich.... should be some great games to go see by the astros this year Ready to go when you are
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/11/2004 5:59 AM
Nascar > Baseball.
Posted By: shortbus Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/11/2004 6:41 AM
Baseball = Steroids

Posted By: msula Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/11/2004 11:47 PM
Anything > Baseball
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 12:06 AM
[]Jeremy said:
Anything > Baseball [/]
Indeed.
Posted By: Rick Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 12:43 AM
A swift kick between the legs < Baseball
Posted By: navaho Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 1:42 AM
I believe Scream has trumped you there.
Posted By: J.C. Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 2:17 AM
[]JoshPet said:
Nascar > Baseball. [/]

"Nascar is not a sport, it's the same six rednecks winning all the time.." George Carlin
Posted By: Zackary Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 3:00 AM
I never did care to watch cars race around in circles for hours on end. If I wanted to watch that I would play with my nephew's race track.

I'll take football any day.
Posted By: shortbus Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 3:12 AM
Hey guys, I LOVE baseball!

College Football
College Basketball
Pro Football
Baseball Pro and College
Golf (any but not womens)
College Wrestling (live)
NBA
Womens Tennis

In that order
Posted By: navaho Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 3:12 AM
and watch 22 grown men in padded underwear play "pigpile on the guy with the oval shaped ball"? alrighty then. At least in NASCAR there is a chance someone is going to pile headlong into a concrete wall at high speed.
Posted By: J.C. Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 3:17 AM
Mine the track, then it'll be interesting...
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 3:32 AM
he he

Warning: Racey NASCAR joke:

Nascar: 200+ MPH with Risk of Death by crashing into the wall.

The other sports... only require 1 ball.
Posted By: J.C. Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 3:47 AM
I always preferred Drag Racing. I mean sitting ontop of 1200 HP and going thru the 1/4 in 4.5 seconds.. WOOF!
Posted By: Jamin Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 8:10 AM
Anything > All Sports.

Going to games is fun, but watching any sports on TV is just not cool to me. Well... except for trick pool. That's kind of interesting to watch.

---Jamin
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 7:35 PM
The one sport that I can watch with some interest is rugby. NASCARR I can watch some days, if I'm feeling nostelgic for the days when I used to drive like a bat out of hell.
Posted By: ChAoS_dup1 Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 8:55 PM
Female Mud Wrestling

sorry couldn't resist
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/12/2004 11:55 PM
I think that falls more under "Sports Entertainmet"
Posted By: J.C. Re: Random question about OpenTopic - 03/13/2004 12:31 AM
Xtreme Moto-Cross Love those backflips.
© UBB.Developers