UBB.Dev
Posted By: tackaberry iPhone Poll - 07/13/2007 3:36 PM
Do you plan on buying an iPhone? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/18/2007 4:46 PM
What's an iPhone? tipsy
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/18/2007 11:31 PM
Lol, allen is so my hero...
Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/19/2007 4:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Lol, allen is so my hero...

That's funny because I recently finished watching the entire first season of Heroes on my iPhone wink
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/19/2007 5:08 PM
They're cool, I'm just not into an AT&T-only phone. Verizon has much better service/coverage around here. The price should come down eventually too smile
Posted By: Philipp Re: iPhone Poll - 07/19/2007 9:34 PM
I think that the current iPhone is too limited. While the iPhone have a full Internet browser, the device can only be used over an EDGE cellular network.

According to a review of the New York Times the iPhone takes 1-2 minutes to load a page over EDGE eek. There are much faster mobile telephony protocols and networks out there such as UMTS or even HSDPA/HSUPA.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/19/2007 9:44 PM
exactly... iphone has a ways to go before it is as useful as the hype says it is smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/20/2007 5:05 AM
'eh it may officially just be an AT&T phone, but like any phone all you have to do is unlock it to use it on another carrier; in fact I've heard of them being used (minimally) on tmobile.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/20/2007 2:59 PM
For me, my BlackBerry (8100) used EDGE anyway, so I'm not losing anything on speed, plus it has WiFi, so it is much faster where I can get a signal.

I had put off buying a new iPod for a long time (my Shuffle doesn't count), since my 15 gig 2G died (some parts are still alive as they were used to help revive a co-worker's iPod).

The only thing I will miss if sync with my Outlook, although if I get a promotion at the end of the year they might give me another BlackBerry anyway (although this time they will pay for it) wink
Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/20/2007 3:03 PM
'eh it may officially just be an AT&T phone, but like any phone all you have to do is unlock it to use it on another carrier; in fact I've heard of them being used (minimally) on tmobile.

It's too much of a cat & mouse game to hack it. By the time they get it all figured out, Apple will release an OS update that will fix the hacks, while adding useful new functionaility.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/21/2007 3:31 AM
Lol I'd kill for a blackberry...

And yeh, unlocking phones can be a pain, I doubt they'd "patch" how to unlock/lock it as that's how providers do their updates to the phones as well wink...
Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/23/2007 2:51 PM
May the will update the firmware to look and see whether or not an appropriate SIM card is there - as it does now
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/23/2007 3:05 PM
Most simcards are genaric, I doubt they'll take that huge of a step to stop users from using it on other services; they just want them out the door wink...

Besides, if the blackberry has shown us nothing else, it's that providers could give half a crap about choosing to allow you to download provideable updates/upgrades (WPA2 support on some older devices for example)
Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/23/2007 9:16 PM
Right now, the iPhone can only be used with the cards they come with. Another AT&T card won't even work.

Most other phones have a limited exclusivity on them - usually 3 months or so before you start seeing variants show up with the other carriers. Kind of how the BlackBerry Pearl was exlusive to T-Mobile for a little while and the Curve is now exclusive to AT&T. Rumors are that the iPhone exclusivity is 3 YEARS and that Apple gets revenue sharing from the monthly service (varies based on whether the subscriber is a new AT&T customer or an existing one that upgraded).

There are financial incentives for both Apple and AT&T to keep it locked down.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/23/2007 11:21 PM
hmm... what I really need is to find out what kinda phone I need from verizon that will work in jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel next week tipsy
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/24/2007 1:56 AM
their payments are done through Vesta; my wife is a supervisor there; it's quite interesting how their billing/activation works lol...
Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/24/2007 4:01 PM
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
hmm... what I really need is to find out what kinda phone I need from verizon that will work in jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel next week tipsy

What you really need to figure out is why would you even want a phone when you are going somewhere to get away from it all wink
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/24/2007 4:21 PM
We're leaving our little one here for the week with his grandmothers, would be nice to check in smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/25/2007 1:57 AM
Most quadband phones should work just about anywhere you go; you should stop by a kiosk for your provider and see what they recommend.

Posted By: tackaberry Re: iPhone Poll - 07/25/2007 3:38 PM
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
We're leaving our little one here for the week with his grandmothers, would be nice to check in smile

Ah..that makes sense. My kids barely survived 3 days with my parents last week smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/26/2007 5:39 PM
You've got at least 2 that I know of wink David is a handful tho, he just pours drool from his teething. He went through 3 warddrobe changes yesterday smile

Most quadband phones should work just about anywhere you go; you should stop by a kiosk for your provider and see what they recommend.

I did, verizon, the guy said the company they worked with in mexico has issues so verizon stopped using them. We may try the international calling card route - when we tried that for a paris trip the card worked, but all instructions from the operator were in french, which made the call impossible tipsy
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/26/2007 5:41 PM
Oh, I understand they're going to come out with a $300 version iPhone in the fall.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/27/2007 2:43 AM
Interesting that they just straight dropped them; generally they try to work around issues with companies in order to offer services...

Posted By: Burak Re: iPhone Poll - 07/28/2007 12:39 PM
Hello people smile iPhone is some fancy stuff, but if you can read the small letters, it sucks tipsy (IMHO) Nokia N95 looks more promising.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 07/28/2007 6:04 PM
$749? eek
Posted By: Burak Re: iPhone Poll - 07/28/2007 9:36 PM
Well... I was talking about features not price laugh
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/29/2007 4:46 AM
Heres a yey on the nokia N95; sexy!
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 07/29/2007 4:48 AM
N800 isn't half bad either, at only $350~

BTW, EBay and you can get them at like a fifth the cost wink
Posted By: Burak Re: iPhone Poll - 08/01/2007 8:38 PM
I also heard that you can buy a N95 for $250 in Dubai smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 08/05/2007 11:10 PM
Cool, if it were only free to fly there wink

I recently got a new phone after my last one was stolen - I'm stuck with it for a while now smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/06/2007 1:47 AM
btw, you can usually get these "discount"/(stolen) phones on ebay from places like dubai and china
Posted By: Burak Re: iPhone Poll - 08/07/2007 10:08 PM
btw, you can usually get these "discount"/(stolen) phones on ebay from places like dubai and china

I'm not talking about anything stolen wink You go there, buy it legally from an electronics shop and return home with it smile Actually, you have to sign some paper before entering Turkey (in the Airport). I don't know the procedure in the U.S., but in here, you have to register the phone with a telecom company in order to use it wink Btw, I heard that from a Associate Prof. in my Uni.
Posted By: ntdoc Re: iPhone Poll - 08/07/2007 10:27 PM
Unless work buys it I won't be getting one. I get upset if I have to pay $39 for a phone.

It's a phone - you make a few calls, a few text messages and that's it for me. I spend 80% or more of my time within reach of a 5MB Cable modem or T1 workstation computer - I certainly am not going to spend $600 on a toy just so I can "look cool" and be annoyed as heck with the slow speed of anything Web or Java on the unit.

As for watching a video on it, come on - that too is just an annoyance. I'd much rather watch a movie on HDTV or even a 40" TV, or at the Theater than on a little window that I have to have glasses on and squint and can't really share with anyone unless you want them leaning on your shoulder (not too much fun watching movies alone).

But hey that's just me.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/08/2007 6:35 AM
well for me, I like to go out, and run around; but with the type of (self employeed) work I do I have to be available; and we have hotspots everywhere here, so a "smart" phone with a web browser to replace my PDA (I need WPA vs WEP in some places) would be grand...
Posted By: navaho Re: iPhone Poll - 08/13/2007 8:17 PM
I have an iPhone
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/14/2007 12:07 AM
Umm, congradulations on spending way too much money for a first gen item that'll likely burn out all too soon lol...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: iPhone Poll - 08/14/2007 8:02 PM
I understand you can serve web pages from your i-phone smile
Posted By: navaho Re: iPhone Poll - 08/14/2007 8:56 PM
There are a lot of addon programs that aren't supposed to work but do work. Plus a lot of hidden OX stuff too. It's got an SSH server in there. You can add an ssh client. Apache would not surprise me at all. There's a nintendo emulator that I've seen. It's really cool. Looks good and runs very smooth.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/15/2007 1:43 AM
Well, if it's based on OSX it's underlying system is linux, so it wouldn't suprise me what you can port over to it... Likely has an ARM processor, and there is a lot thats already coded to work on that (hell, a NDS has the same thing)
Posted By: ntdoc Re: iPhone Poll - 08/15/2007 6:53 AM
Well I don't have one but my boss has one (the company bought it for him) and he says he is about to go back to his blackberry perl

Seems there is no voice recognition on the unit, the e-mail need IMAP (similar to POP3) to get all his mail but we don't run it on our Exchange Server.

Some other pet peeves too (personal annoyances more than faults of the unit I suppose)
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/15/2007 8:24 AM
oh you know he just wants to ebay it for a grand wink
Posted By: ntdoc Re: iPhone Poll - 08/15/2007 8:25 AM
ROFL - He would for sure if he could, but it belongs to the Company.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/15/2007 9:12 AM
outsource me, i'll take it... lol... i need a sartphone to replace my pda smirk
Posted By: navaho Re: iPhone Poll - 08/17/2007 2:52 AM
It's underlying is Darwin, Gizzy, which I think is a form of BSD, not Linux.
Posted By: navaho Re: iPhone Poll - 08/17/2007 2:54 AM
Oh, it is an ARM.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 08/17/2007 3:19 AM
You know, I knew that, and I actually meant to put *nix when typing lol... It is a bsd varient.

And I figured it's an ARM processor, a lot of the mobile devices now adays are; hell, the NDS is, my PDA is... pattern oh yes wink
Posted By: jgeoff Re: iPhone Poll - 09/09/2007 8:49 AM

I got a $500 4GB iPhone just 2 weeks ago (chick spilled her wine on my previous phone smirk ), 10 days before they reduced the price for the 8GB to $400! smirk So tomorrow I'm gonna return/exchange mine for the 8GB and get $50 back (10% restocking fee w/in 14 days smirk ). At least I better!! laugh

FWIW, tho - I love it! It has its problems and limitations, which I'm sure will be addressed, but it's WAY COOL for what it does do, and how it does it! cool
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 09/09/2007 9:56 AM
'eh my mom applied for a job at an AT&T store, after 30 days they get a free phone, after 90 days their spouce gets a free phone; they allow them to go up to like $400 on the phones lol... so i'm goinna masqurade as her husband (same name as my stepdad lol)
Posted By: jgeoff Re: iPhone Poll - 09/10/2007 6:07 AM

i'm goinna masqurade as [my mom's] husband (same name as my stepdad lol)

Is incest best? laugh

BTW - Got my replacement iPhone cool The dummy's first words out of his mouth were "it's Day 15" (returns need to be within 14 days)... I told him I was there 2 weeks ago to the day... I got it. wink

Posted By: navaho Re: iPhone Poll - 09/11/2007 10:32 PM
Gizz, you're going to impersonate your mother's husband. Look a lot older than your age, do you?
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 09/12/2007 9:58 AM
you've seen me, what do you think? besides, my sisters dad is 70, his wife is 40 lol
Posted By: navaho Re: iPhone Poll - 09/12/2007 9:46 PM
Lucky him... I think.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: iPhone Poll - 09/13/2007 7:04 AM
I'd tackle her lol... The odd thing is, she's my older sisters' ex best friend...
Posted By: jackking Re: iPhone Poll - 09/13/2007 1:21 PM
I want to buy a iPhone, but there is no iPhone in my cooutry.
Posted By: ntdoc Re: iPhone Poll - 09/21/2007 4:41 AM
Originally Posted by jackking
I want to buy a iPhone, but there is no iPhone in my cooutry.

You're one of the lucky ones then that gets to save some money.
© UBB.Developers