UBB.Dev
Posted By: mam14 "Server Overload"! - 01/15/2001 5:26 AM
I launched my ubb site about two months ago, and within that time my hit count rose from 250 a day to about 650 to 800, bringing the total to over 20 thousand.
The board became increasingly more difficult to manage & every thing else was going well.. until the hosting company shut down the site without any prior warning. When asked repeatedly about the reason for disabling the site, they said that "the script you were running caused severe server overload which brought the entire shared server to its knees.."!
The hosting company suggests a dedicated server as the only solution.
Any idea as to why this happened in the first place & what could I do to limit the amount of resources ubb uses?
This problem has caused me a lot of headackhe & frustration. I'm watching the number of visitors drop dramatically. What should I do?
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/15/2001 6:07 AM
Alot of times, it's their perl configuration, speed config or server config that makes things so much gravely when running UBB.
Change hosts, my suggestion

------------------

Modification Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail, ICQ , AIM, Private message or any media.
Regards,
MasterMind
Posted By: mam14 Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/15/2001 6:12 AM
Since I don't know their config, how would I know which host is best for me?
Isn't a dedicated server better (not that I can afford it since I don't have any ads in the site)?

This message has been edited by mam14 on January 14, 2001 at 10:13 PM
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/15/2001 6:16 AM
Yes, a dedicated server gives you complete control...but...
Try the webhosting forum.

------------------

Modification Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail, ICQ , AIM, Private message or any media.
Regards,
MasterMind
Posted By: mam14 Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/17/2001 11:00 AM
You mean there is no way to limit the number of processes forumdisplay.cgi makes?
Posted By: navaho Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/18/2001 11:37 PM
There will be one forumdisplay.cgi process for each time the someone clicks that script. no more, no less. If you see many of them, more then your board should have given your traffic level and your board has become slow or unresponsive do the following:

Restart the httpd, that will kill the zombie forumdisplay processes.

Prune!

Prune more!

Set the default days prune down to a smaller number, forumdisplay is timing out searching back and sorting then displaying. Give it less to search through, less to sort, less to display. That will make it take less tie and then it will finish faster and not backup subsequent requests.

------------------
"There is no spoon"

This message has been edited by navaho on January 18, 2001 at 03:40 PM
Posted By: mam14 Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/19/2001 6:20 AM
Navaho..
I didn't understand what you said:
What http?
what do you mean by prune?

I really need to do this, other wise i'll have to pack up & leave my current host.. or go dediacated.. which I can't afford.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: "Server Overload"! - 01/20/2001 1:40 AM
As you're not the server admin, ignore the bit about httpd.

Pruning is deleting posts using the Edit/Prune cpanel.

The less posts you keep around, the faster the UBB can perform.

------------------
Liam: "...The only part I can't get to work is the actual equation: Poisson(X) = (A^X x e^-A)/X!"
Tim: "You've a mathematical function named w/ the French word for fish?"
-- as overheard on Flare.
© UBB.Developers