UBB.Dev
Posted By: Matt Jacob The LAN party thing - 03/31/2001 8:52 AM
I just got back from my first LAN party in the city tonight...boy, was that was intense! Cover charge was 5 bucks, which wasn't too bad for 6 hours of non-stop gaming, I guess. smile If anyone ever gets the chance to go to a LAN party, don't miss out on it - you'll be glad that you went!

Make sure you've got copies of all the popular multiplayer games installed, and you have at least some knowledge of local area networking. It's a drag when people can't play because they don't have the right updates or whatever installed.

In related news, if anyone lives in the Chicagoland area and would like to frag with me, drop me an email and we could prolly set something up.

Oh, and BTW, this party had about 50-60 people, but I've heard of smaller ones before. Lotsa fun. laugh
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: The LAN party thing - 04/10/2001 11:33 PM
$5 seems pretty cheap for 6 hours of fun. Why do you need the latest drivers/games installed? Do you bring your own computer?
Posted By: Sally Re: The LAN party thing - 04/10/2001 11:42 PM
sounds like a lot of fun.

Allen, heh, I should imagine probably because if only about 2 people turned up with the same game it would be pretty pointless wink lol
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 12:28 AM
Allen, yeah, you haul your box across town just to play some games. I just suggest you have the latest drivers and game patches installed so that you don't waste time while you're there.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 12:33 AM
That does sound pretty cool... smile So it'd help if you had some monster machine with a few tricks installed for the game, eh?
Posted By: Dark Templar Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 12:43 AM
I've been to a reasonably large LAN party (3 people ;)). Played Brood War with a couple friends laugh

[ April 10, 2001: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 12:56 AM
Hehe, cheating is generally frowned upon by the other gamers. tipsy
Posted By: Sally Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 1:14 AM
so how long did you spend getting all the computers up and running on the network?

[ April 10, 2001: Message edited by: Sally ]
Posted By: Jamin Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 1:22 AM
Hey Matt, do you have a fun Party box? Windows and neon lights and stuff? smile

I'm building a new 'puter soon, and I'm gonna do all kinds of fun stuff to the case, prolly have it watercooled, and overclocked way too much for my own good... laugh

---Skorpion
Posted By: Lupus Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 5:54 AM
back when I was in high school I used to go to a computer gaming place where they had lots of computers already hooked up with the popular games and such. They started out with about 5 computers...and by the time I made it out of high school they had a new place where there were 30 or so. In addition to keeping their old place (and adding more computers to it as well) I had a lot of fun there, the best thing is my friends and I got discounts a lot because we were some of their first customers.
Posted By: JohnM Re: The LAN party thing - 04/11/2001 4:53 PM
quote:
Wouldn't a good laptop (new one w/ 3D card etc) be easier?
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: The LAN party thing - 04/12/2001 12:57 AM
Easier, maybe. But it wouldn't even compare with the quality of video cards that you can get for desktop machines. At a LAN party, it's all about framerates and no lag, so you always want to have the best setup possible. smile
© UBB.Developers