UBB.Dev
Posted By: Jamin How to make a webcam? - 05/19/2001 10:44 PM
One of my graduation presents was a little USB webcam thingy. It works, takes pictures and videos and stuff like it's supposed to. But how would I go about connecting that to an actual website? I know Mark has that big page with all the mod cams on it... is there some special software I need to do this?

Thanks in advance!

---Skorpion
Posted By: Mark Badolato Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/19/2001 11:16 PM
For PC's, Webcam32 is one of the better ones, though there are some free ones available too (check www.download.com).

Basically it runs on your computer, takes pictures at your specified interval (every 30 seconds or whatever) and uploads them to your server via ftp.

So, on the web page you want the picture on, just add a meta refresh tag, and have the url for the image point to the location on your server where the camera is uploading to.

--mark
Posted By: TL Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/20/2001 2:37 AM
Okay.. sorry to go a little ot.. but is there a program that'll automatially put the images into a movie.. to take time-lapse?
Posted By: Jamin Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/20/2001 6:33 AM
Thanks Mark! It works smile

---Skorpion
Posted By: usr bin geek Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/20/2001 5:23 PM
I've seen some personal web cams where it was streaming video. It seemed like the window used java to connect you directly to their computer's IP# (not their web server.) Anyone know what program they use for that?
Posted By: Lucia Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/20/2001 6:40 PM
So come on then Skorp, let us see laugh
Posted By: Mark Badolato Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/20/2001 8:24 PM
Steven, yes I've used that on the moderator page (though its not there now cuz SOMEONE's Mac couldn't display java... ;))

You have to enable the streaming in webcam, then include the appropriate applet tag in the web cam page. It will point to the url of your pc (if you have a static) and the port you defined for the camera to stream on.

--mark
Posted By: usr bin geek Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/21/2001 5:34 PM
Mark, what was the name of the program you used for that? smile
Posted By: cal Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/21/2001 9:01 PM
Steven: It's part of the Webcam32 package.

Just a thought smile
Posted By: usr bin geek Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/21/2001 9:09 PM
Thanks Cal smile
Posted By: Lucia Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/22/2001 4:22 AM
My boss wants me to set up webcams at his office and his house, just so he can see his children, given that he works literally 20hours a day.
Posted By: Dark Templar Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/22/2001 9:18 PM
quote:
I don't recall saying anything...but I might have; if it wasn't me, who else has a mac? cal perhaps? confused
Posted By: Sally Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/22/2001 9:28 PM
I think the last mac I saw cal with had a rubbish bin on top of it laugh
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/23/2001 12:23 AM
i use a mac at work, but i don't remember saying anything about this...
Posted By: cal Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/23/2001 9:36 AM
I would imagine he's talking about florence.

Sally, you mean this mac?

[Linked Image]

Just a thought smile
Posted By: scats Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/23/2001 3:44 PM
Yeah, he means me. laugh Upgrading to 9.1 did not do me a world of good.

But hey Mark, don't let that stop you from live streaming to all your adoring fans. tipsy
Posted By: Jamin Re: How to make a webcam? - 05/24/2001 5:59 AM
Here we go... laugh

http://www.se7enet.com/lavacam.html

Unfortunately, the quality is a little bad - kinda grainy and there's a bunch of lines running up and down the picture frown. If anyone knows how to fix this, please lemme know. ("EZCam USB II" is the camera.)

---Skorpion
© UBB.Developers