UBB.Dev
Posted By: G5 I have a BIg problem....... - 07/21/2001 10:14 PM
For like 3 hours now i have this "guest" replying to every post on my board. my guess is thats its some kind of spam program or something. i noticed it when i was viewing the whos on line. i saw a guest replyin to a post then it switched over to another post in like a few secs. it keeps trying to reply to different post.

So far no damage is done. Since guest can't reply or post. I have the IP number but could not trace it. I got ad Unknown at the end. So can i do??? its starting to slow down my board. its still going on now.

[ July 21, 2001 03:19 PM: Message edited by: G5 ]
Posted By: MorphStar Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 12:42 AM
You have no link to your site in your profile, please edit your profile and I'll see what I can do smile
Posted By: G5 Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 2:05 AM
oh crap sorry.

my board > http://www.gamerend.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi

it stoped now. after a little more then 3 hours laugh

[ July 21, 2001 07:07 PM: Message edited by: G5 ]
Posted By: navaho Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 3:16 AM
Ban the IP or turn on floodcheck.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 4:32 AM
Yeah put your floodcheck onto 60 seconds and he'll have to wait that long until his next post. Hopefully he can't get more than one IP.
Posted By: G5 Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 4:50 AM
well i that. that was the 1st thing i did. i set it to over 2 min. what was odd was that didn't phase him or it. thats why i think it was maybe a spam bot. or also it could have been because the post were never made. so no flood time was set. this spammer was a guest the whole time and was unable to post or reply. lucky me laugh
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 4:53 AM
Hmm a Spam bot. Why would a Spam bot come to your forums anyway? Your not in a board war are you?
Posted By: G5 Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 8:05 AM
not that i know of.
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 8:09 AM
What is a board war?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 8:26 AM
quote:
we have that problem sometimes..;)

are you allowing guests to post? turn on registered users only...
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 11:53 AM
quote:
Like when you have another forum trying to steal your member to posting there more and hating the admin and stuff like that.
Posted By: MorphStar Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 12:01 PM
A little offtopic: Your board looks very nice, I love the way you hacked it and changed the style.

Though a header of some sort wouldn't hurt smile
Posted By: Philipp Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 1:15 PM
I had the same problem last week on my board. Someone required alot of pages using Fetch API Request.

Check your serverlog for something like "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0) Fetch API Request"

Here a possible fix for UBB:
Add the follow line at the top of UltimateBB.cgi

Code
code:
Posted By: G5 Re: I have a BIg problem....... - 07/22/2001 9:52 PM
quote:
my board is only like 40-50% done its hard to find time to add new things. I'm always studying for my college classes :(, but i'm glad you like it. laugh

Philipp:

i'll try that out and see if it works. Thanks laugh
© UBB.Developers