UBB.Dev
Posted By: cal shell hacking 101 - 08/01/2001 9:00 AM
A quick lesson in the way the windows namespace works.

First, we're going to need to use regedit. You know about regedit right? Just go to 'Run...' (Hit the windows keys and 'R' at the same time), type in regedit and hit 'OK'.

Regedit allows you to edit the system registry. The registry is a database of system meta-information like program configuration settings.

You need to navigate the tree-view to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID

Once you're there, hit Crtl-F to get the find dialog. Set it up like this:

[Linked Image]

Then click 'OK'.

You should find a match pretty quick. The serach will match "shell folders" such as "my computer" and "dialup networking".

Find one you'd like to play with (use F3 to find the next one) and take choose "Copy Key Name" fdrom the "Edit" menu.

Now open up notepad (or even better, noted ) and paste. now, recopy the part of the text inbetween the { and } symbols (including those symbols). This is a big random string in windows called a GUID (Globally Unique IDentifier), and this one specifically is a CLSID (CLaSs IDentifier).

Create a new folder and name it "bob.CLSID" where CLSID is your copied CLSID. eg, if you were doing "my computer", your folder would be called "bob.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"

Done renaming? Look what has happened. I wont spoil the suprise by explaining how or why. maybe later.

Just a thought smile

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: cal ]

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: cal ]
Posted By: JohnM Re: shell hacking 101 - 08/01/2001 7:35 PM
Been there done that. Pretty neat wink
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: shell hacking 101 - 08/01/2001 7:53 PM
Hmm, I screwed up my recycle bin. I don't want to take my chances... frown
Posted By: The Donut Re: shell hacking 101 - 08/01/2001 10:44 PM
Tech-Ni-Kal: You'd have to really do stuff that wasn't in cal's instructions to screw anything up ;):)

Question for anyone that knows: Why is there an "Add Reply" button in the Message table? Is it "the designed behavior"? Just happened to notice that before submitting the post. Anyways.
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: shell hacking 101 - 08/01/2001 10:51 PM
quote:
Yes, it is the designed behavior. It's for users who don't scroll. Or for the users who use TAB + Space.

About the screw up part. Probably but still...
© UBB.Developers