UBB.Dev
Posted By: certify doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/08/2001 6:12 PM
I put in some good word for UBB at sitepointforums but nobody takes UBB seriously these days.

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30050

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: certify ]
heheh... you might as well post that at vb smile The admin at sitepoint is one of vb's moderators smile

[edit: plus several of sitepoints moderators too apparently.. they admit to being somewhat biased in that thread wink

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]
Posted By: certify Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/08/2001 6:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
heheh... you might as well post that at vb smile The admin at sitepoint is one of vb's moderators smile

[edit: plus several of sitepoints moderators too apparently.. they admit to being somewhat biased in that thread wink

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]

Oh I C .. smile
Posted By: qasic Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/08/2001 7:46 PM
Actually, I hedge my bets that UBB 6.1 is actually slowered than UBB 6.05x in terms of raw speed but much, much better in terms of CPU load (the load is now spread out more evenly).

qasic
6.1.0 will be a small bit more intense on the processor, but not nearly enough to notice during day to day use.

However, the REAL change is in the I/O reduction, which is responsible for what most perceive as CPU use.....

Surely you've all seen how comparatively fast UBBDev got after the upgrade!
Actually, I find UBBDev to be muuuuuuuch slooooower now that it is trying to load that icon from w3.org

-Tacks
I pulled that link until w3 gets their act together... mebbe another victom of code red?

eet's fast now
w00t!

Lightning fast now!!!

Great job guys wink

-Tacks

*edit-Graemlins are now well liked by edit post*

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: tackaberry ]
Posted By: certify Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/08/2001 10:14 PM
quote:
I pulled that link until w3 gets their act together... mebbe another victom of code red?

eet's fast now

Much better now AllenAyres!
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/08/2001 11:43 PM
Allen...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ubbdev.com%2Fubbcgi%2Fultimatebb.cgi&doctype=Inline
smile

I think I might just include a text reference... that way they don't slow us down
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/08/2001 11:54 PM
You can download the icon to ubbdev.com
Grazi.

Still having problems with the trademark symbol.. alt0153 doesn't validate and the & #0153; only validates some of the time...

hmmm, I may just change the wording so we don't have to use them in the titles.
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 12:09 AM
™ is validated when it's the only problem.

[edit: forgot the ;]

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
Once again, you are correct sir
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 12:38 AM
I know you haven't finished changing anything, but you're using the icon from www.w3.org.
I find the forum to go a bit faster than when we were on 6.0, But Some pages can take more than average time to load, Like the Main page.
Which main page LD, ultimatebb.cgi or index.shtm ?
Ultimatebb.cgi, But It can be because you have a long list of Forums.
this page validates... tipsy
lessee if this one killed it

test
validate [quote]
yeah, that's the last thing left (I think )...

"Error: element "blockquote" not allowed here; possible cause is an inline element containing a block-level element "
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:11 PM
Close tag
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Close tag

trying it now lk..

ok, that fixed it, tho the font size needs to be fixed lessee if editing breaks it

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]
Posted By: Fuzion Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:25 PM
Could you maybe put a target="_blank" on that text w3 link allen? I do not want to get strayed from ubbdev.
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:29 PM
quote:

trying it now lk..

ok, that fixed it, tho the font size needs to be fixed lessee if editing breaks it

So put the font tag again, inside the
that's the deal, it's already there, in all places that I closed and then re-opened the font tags.
code:
Code

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="$vars_styl etc..

Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:33 PM
quote:
that's the deal, it's already there, in all places that I closed and then re-opened the font tags.

You closed it again

quote:
did my last post break this thread?
that's odd... it didn't post my last post, it sent me to a blank p3 smile
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:40 PM
quote:
nevermind

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
quote:
that's odd... it didn't post my last post, it sent me to a blank p3 smile

fixed now?

I think it works with the edit

Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:51 PM
code:
Code

fixed now?

I think it works with the edit

Testing CODE...
That works! Nice job AA & LK.

Now then...something about hard to read small print

-Tacks
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:52 PM
code:
Code
... ont size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><pre>Originally posted b ...
^Error: element "pre" not allowed here; possible cause is an inline element containing a block-level element (explanation...)

PREs don't need
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:56 PM
Also, in sub ConvertReturns and prep_for_edit replace & with & unless it's one of those &codes;

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
code:
Code
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">
did I fix it?
</font>

huh? did I?
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 9:59 PM
Remove these tags, they aren't needed at all
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Remove these tags, they aren't needed at all

hmmm... we'll see

code:

did LK break it? wink
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 10:12 PM
quote:
code:

did LK break it? wink

You're not allowed to use images in [code]s
when editing the above post, everything above the [ code ] disappears...

where in those subs you mentioned is there an &? I didn't see one
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/09/2001 10:21 PM
I mean when Tacks said "AA & LK"
Whoops...don't worry, I removed the "7" key from my keyboard...won't be typing any bad characters anytime soon...well at least not without a ""

You guys deserve a lot of credit...cleaning up is tedious work

-Tacks
grazi.. it's just about done...

click on "edit" for my post with the quote and the code in it... everything about code disappears... frown
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 12:57 AM
This:

[perl]
#!/usr/bin/perl
[/perl]

Either it doesnt work, or its disabled.
The page validates

I didn't know [perl] was ever a valid ubb code?
It wasn't in the stock UBB, it was a modification by Ell.
oops.. yeah... a few by ell and cal will need to be re-added back in we are running completely new scripts now.
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 6:04 PM
Allen: use:
code:
Code
<pre style="font-size:x-small">

for code, so it will be in the original UBB size
[faq=4]

Does the FAQ work?
thanks LK... how's about font face? the style should pick up on the $vars_style{FontFace} I think....

Greg, did it work?
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 7:30 PM
Try:
code:
Code
<pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family:$vars_style{FontFace};">

But It's not supposed to be like that

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 9:29 PM
Also, I hate those uncolored
s.
Fix:
code:
Code
<hr size="1" style="color:$vars_style{hr_color}" />

nice... thanks for the fixes LK
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 10:44 PM
One really really really really last thing

Even though W3C doesn't check it, don't use in a JavaScript, use:

code:
Code
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[
blablabla
]]>
</script>

Just found an excellent source, http://w3.one.net/~ryexley/XHTML.shtml
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 10:47 PM
no
muchas gracias again, I'll check that link...

We plan to add them back in greg... they worked, so it should be easy enough once the code stabilizes.
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 11:16 PM
Allen, nevermind, IE 6.0 didn't show it at all, and it says 'since XML parsers are permitted to completely ignore comments, this is no longer recommended'
Posted By: Burak Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 11:25 PM
hmmm... do we have a problem here?

[Linked Image]
quote:
Originally posted by jeologic:

[Linked Image]

Yes, I can't read your browser buttons

what are you seeing jeo?
Posted By: Burak Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/10/2001 11:40 PM
as you can see(?) tipsy
yes, sorry, I haven't added LK's fixes yet... I'll post when they are added in... give me a few minutes to pull the files up.
[code][/code]

testing
Posted By: certify Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/11/2001 1:11 AM
Hmm this thread has gone way off topic.
Posted By: LK Re: doubts about UBB 6.1.0 speed improvements - 08/11/2001 1:16 AM
Certify, please update your signature so it will be XHTMLed
I think I'll sign onto the server and assist everyone in getting xhtml'ized with a global search and replace of a few things smile
quote:
Originally posted by jeologic:

[Linked Image]

No, there's no problem. Just use a microscope.
quote:
Originally posted by certify:
Hmm this thread has gone way off topic. smile
testing sigs now smile

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]
© UBB.Developers